News Canterbury could hand teen winger Jake Averillo a surprise debut for NRL round one

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meaney hamstring sounds worse than it is...anyone know what grade? If two then that’s normally at least 3-4 weeks

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
i like what ive seen from this kid thus far, has some real confidence about him .. I loved the chip and chase he attempted on the weekend, down the short side.. and he almost pulled it off too..

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
ffs a surprise debut is if they selected him out of nowhere, whoever wrote this ruined the surprise

its like if I called someone and told them we are planning them a surprise party

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see the round 1 line up. Everybody has different opinions on who deserves to be there. And nothing short of a dominant game from the team will change some of those opinions. As a youngster I was spoiler with a team that rarely had many weak positions. So it'd be nice to see us starting to be spoiled for choice across the park.

I can understand why people enjoy listing all the players we can potentially recruit. But I do get a bit sick of the gloomy posts when we don't wind up picking up players. It would be very nice to see our junior stocks begin to produce adequate depth. We have always picked up the occasional quality player from outside the club. But the bred not bought motto is one I'd love to define our club again.
Agree and precisely what our ‘do nothing board’ have spent a lot of time on. The results of that are already beginning to show in my opinion and it will only continue to improve over time.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
i like what ive seen from this kid thus has some real confidence about him .. I loved the chip and chase he attempted on the weekend, down the short side.. and he almost pulled it off too..
I think he pulled it off in reserve grade? Or maybe in the lower grades...either way I saw him do it just can't remember where.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he pulled it off in reserve grade? Or maybe in the lower grades...either way I saw him do it just can't remember where.
yeah I'm pretty sure it was in his highlights reel that the club put together, in what grade I'm not to sure.

yvonne

New Pup
Reaction score
Yeah sounded as thou he would debut Round 1 wasn’t to be until Round 25

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Kid has potential and was good in the trials, though throwing him on the wing, with an inexperienced centre in Remis is asking for trouble up against Fergo and co.

Better off leaving Hoppa and Remis on the right and throwing Lewis into left centre for his defence.

Cogger and Wakeham in the halves

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Kid has potential and was good in the trials, though throwing him on the wing, with an inexperienced centre in Remis is asking for trouble up against Fergo and co.

Better off leaving Hoppa and Remis on the right and throwing Lewis into left centre for his defence.

Cogger and Wakeham in the halves
They should put Lewis in centre I was only thinking that the other day.. he played centre through Canterbury cup

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They should put Lewis in centre I was only thinking that the other day.. he played centre through Canterbury cup
Lewis at centre won't work at all. He doesn't have the speed or footwork to cut it in the NRL as a centre even when he played there in CCup he made tackles and did little else.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fergo and Sivo can boot off!!!

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lewis at centre won't work at all. He doesn't have the speed or footwork to cut it in the NRL as a centre even when he played there in CCup he made tackles and did little else.
Still won’t let near as many tries in.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
if not run him off the bench until *sigh* JMK is back

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant please some people here, some complain that pay doesnt give the young guys a shot, the kid hasnt even been picked ,and now he has no chance against the sivos and fergos according to some, ive seen young 18/19 year olds come into 1st grade and run rings around veterans. Give him a go
I'm all for giving him a go...but vs Sivo/Fergo at BW? That's a baptism of fire...