News Reimis wants a home at left centre

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Give it time and see how he goes ffs guys. Your taking as though he is a failure already. If he hasn't settled there by midway through the season, then fair enough. But if he kils it then we are settled for the centre spots. He has talent, thats for sure, and if he can have his hands on the ball more at centre and cause oppositions some damage, then great. Let's just see how he goes.
No one has said that flat out 100% he shouldn't be there.

Merely that so far he hasn't impressed and other players have played better in that position.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Weakening the wing spot to build the centres is not the way to go.
We need a centre. Although some of the kennelers hate him, I think Holland might be the best centre we have available.
He has a lot of FG experience and that really counts.
I'd love to see the Holland Smith combo again myself.. Kerrod like much of our other players has his issues but the Holland Smith combo in attack was working

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The games changed a lot over the last 10 years. These days you'd say wingers are more valuable than centres because of the roll they play on kick reception on tackles 1 and 2 ... Getting off to a good start to a set is massive. And to be honest the quality of centres across the board is extremely low.

Personally i like the back 3 of DWZ, Smith and Okunbor with Harper and Hopoate at centre. Unless Pay prefers Averillo at centre but it doesn't look that way...

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd love to see the Holland Smith combo again myself.. Kerrod like much of our other players has his issues but the Holland Smith combo in attack was working
I agree. I was one of the few on here who enjoyed the combo and felt it was going somewhere. I am still annoyed that Pay split it up.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The hoppa smith combo is better anyway

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one has said that flat out 100% he shouldn't be there.

Merely that so far he hasn't impressed and other players have played better in that position.
The others that jave layed there are also fringe first graders, where as with Smith he is a garaunteed starter. Im sure the coaching staff have done their homework before deciding to put him there.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I felt like Harper almost played his way out of the 17 in the latest trial.

Pay’s shown in the past that trial form does count towards the composition of his Rd1 team, and I reckon Averillo may just get the nod amongst the back 5. There’s also a bit of mail around that he’s in the mix for the utility spot.
I actually wouldn't mind Averillo as a utility.
Even coming on as an extra half floating around both sides.
The kid has X factor about him and speed.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Good comment. He's giving a relatively new position a go. A position we've been lacking in quality in. Kudos to him for stepping up.

By all means be critical. That's the nature of a supporter. But at the same time be realistic and understand that he needs a run of games to really see if he's best suited there. And a run of games he'll get. No matter how many of your bleat.
But would you play Trent in midfield?!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't mind Averillo as a utility.
Even coming on as an extra half floating around both sides.
The kid has X factor about him and speed.
Bellamy used Papenhuyzen in that type of role a few times last season. He would usually pull one of the middles off to accommodate him and at times they had B.Smith and Finucane acting as props yet it still kind worked for them. Not sure where anywhere well drilled enough or adventurous enough to pull it off though

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bellamy used Papenhuyzen in that type of role a few times last season. He would usually pull one of the middles off to accommodate him and at times they had B.Smith and Finucane acting as props yet it still kind worked for them. Not sure where anywhere well drilled enough or adventurous enough to pull it off though
Yep he could just take the lock off.
Id just like Pay to think outside the box for once.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I guess it's easier to think "outside the box" when you don't have any pressure on your job.

Someone like Pay in the position he and the club is in thinks outside the box, and it's a failure means see ya later to his job.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep he could just take the lock off.
Id just like Pay to think outside the box for once.
Agree. I think that's where the difference of opinion is with people. Some are happy just to see us scrap, compete and make it a physical game for the opposition...while others like that to an extent but with the lack of wins or adventure in attack it just becomes tedious. I mean something like giving our wingers a licence to roam at times, early ball to CHN, etc. Doesn't need to be anything ridiculous or high risk...just something more than what we've done for years.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree. I think that's where the difference of opinion is with people. Some are happy just to see us scrap, compete and make it a physical game for the opposition...while others like that to an extent but with the lack of wins or adventure in attack it just becomes tedious. I mean something like giving our wingers a licence to roam at times, early ball to CHN, etc. Doesn't need to be anything ridiculous or high risk...just something more than what we've done for years.
Can't disagree with what you're saying. I think, from my side at least, I'm being realistic about what our team is capable of and can understand the focus first on getting the basics right. It was the core reason why we played so well in those closing rounds, no?

Having inexperienced halves also means it's going to be harder giving that freedom imo. Perhaps when we've got a settled 6 & 7 it'll happen more often? For now I imagine we're just focusing on getting out defensive line right, making sure our attitude is spot on and then seeing what can happen.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can't disagree with what you're saying. I think, from my side at least, I'm being realistic about what our team is capable of and can understand the focus first on getting the basics right. It was the core reason why we played so well in those closing rounds, no?

Having inexperienced halves also means it's going to be harder giving that freedom imo. Perhaps when we've got a settled 6 & 7 it'll happen more often? For now I imagine we're just focusing on getting out defensive line right, making sure our attitude is spot on and then seeing what can happen.
It's been years...how much longer do you need to get the basics down lol. I just don't get on with this approach, the idea of attacking coming off the back of defence really isn't relevant these days as you need actively focus on both and apply pressure on both sides of the ball.

We have plenty of players capable of offloading the ball yet support is almost never there? Inside balls to Tolman when literally every other player in the team would be a better option? Using a change of angles to target lazy defenders around the ruck?

I mean these things are just examples and really don't require an expert spine to pull off?...anyway point being I think we can offer more and but we aren't really looking to do that.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's been years...how much longer do you need to get the basics down lol. I just don't get on with this approach, the idea of attacking coming off the back of defence really isn't relevant these days as you need actively focus on both and apply pressure on both sides of the ball.

We have plenty of players capable of offloading the ball yet support is almost never there? Inside balls to Tolman when literally every other player in the team would be a better option? Using a change of angles to target lazy defenders around the ruck?

I mean these things are just examples and really don't require an expert spine to pull off?...anyway point being I think we can offer more and but we aren't really looking to do that.
Maybe players don’t have the confidence to do this.Maybe they are worried they may lose their spot if 2nd phase play,using the ball creatively ,trying something out of the ordinary doesn’t work.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Years? I can only judge Pay on the time he's been with us. Think it's silly to judge the current team on what the squad played like under Hasler.

I think we'll play it simple. Do the basics. Build up confidence. Then as time keeps ticking over we'll start to show a bit more flair. It'll come

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Years? I can only judge Pay on the time he's been with us. Think it's silly to judge the current team on what the squad played like under Hasler.

I think we'll play it simple. Do the basics. Build up confidence. Then as time keeps ticking over we'll start to show a bit more flair. It'll come
Pay has been here for years? No?