News Reimis wants a home at left centre

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Mon 2 Mar 2020, 06:01 PM

After playing almost an entire season as winger in 2019, Canterbury flyer Reimis Smith is hoping to make left centre his home this season.

The mid-season pick-up of Dallin Watene-Zelezniak last year pushed Will Hopoate to the centres, adding to what was already a log-jam of outside backs, with Marcelo Montoya and Kerrod Holland mostly preferred at centre over the closing stages of last year.

With Hopoate having the right centre slot shored up and the likes of Jayden Okunbor, Nick Meaney, Christian Crichton, Montoya and young gun Jake Averillo all in the frame for wing spots, Smith is hoping to stay where he is.

Smith played at left centre and Averillo was a standout playing outside hm in the 12-10 trial loss to the Raiders in Port Macquarie on Saturday night.

"I'll play wherever but if I had to pick I'd say that left centre is probably the position I'm going to try and home in on on that left edge," Smith told NRL.com.

"I know Hop's going to be the right centre so definitely left centre, I'm going to try and nail it there and see how we go."

The Dogs' dominant 10-0 start in Port Macquarie featured Smith combining with Averillo, Jack Cogger and returning Maori All Star Corey Harawira-Naera, with the combination defending well and looking the more likely edge in attack.

Bulldogs prop Dylan Napa.©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos

"We've been working since November so it's nothing too new now, it's just putting it together out on the field," Smith added.

"We've been working for four or five months but it was good to try it out against a team that doesn't know our attack and doesn't know our plays and we don't know their plays.

"I thought it was a good hit out for us. We worked on a lot of things that last week we didn't do so well and I thought we put in place this week so I thought it was a really good hit out.

"We got a few lads back this week like Corey [Harawira-Naera]. We were still missing a few but if we put it all together, we're pretty confident moving into round one against the Eels. We got a bit of confidence so looking forward to it."

Smith admitted there was plenty of competition for spots in the backs heading into the season proper.

"That's the best thing about our team, we've got a lot of depth which is always pushing me, we're not just resting on our laurels, it's good to see the boys ripping in and keeping everyone on their toes," he said.

"We went all right the back end of last year which gives a bit of confidence coming into this year but we can't rest on that, we have to start quick and fast and that's how we'll do it this year."

He said the entire squad was pumped to be involved in a tantalising season-opener at Bankwest Stadium against the Eels on Thursday week.

"Far out man, I'm so excited, it's going to be a massive crowd and the atmosphere is going to be unreal and against the Eels, one of the top teams now, I can't wait," he said.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2020/03/02/reimis-wants-a-home-at-left-centre

run1500

Waterboy
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of him going to centre to be honest. I think he should be on the wing. Averillo looked flashy in the trials but think he needs time to bulk up a bit more before being cemented into FG. No surprises that I'm a fan of Harpers. He is a workhorse and gets the job done and in my opinion should be starting in FG. Again only my opinion. Plus if we dont use him, we will lose him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm not sold on him from the first 2 trial games. Was much more happy with Harper's performance at centre
Always felt like this was a waste of everyone's time, he's just far more suited to the wing and lacks the sort of quick feet you want from a centre these days. He's a finisher and far more suited to hitting the ball at pace, should've just let him play the free roaming winger like a Rapana or Holmes.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Always felt like this was a waste of everyone's time, he's just far more suited to the wing and lacks the sort of quick feet you want from a centre these days. He's a finisher and far more suited to hitting the ball at pace, should've just let him play the free roaming winger like a Rapana or Holmes.
Those quick feet also played a part in him getting beat defensively, especially by nimble, agile reserve graders from Cronulla

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Give it time and see how he goes ffs guys. Your taking as though he is a failure already. If he hasn't settled there by midway through the season, then fair enough. But if he kils it then we are settled for the centre spots. He has talent, thats for sure, and if he can have his hands on the ball more at centre and cause oppositions some damage, then great. Let's just see how he goes.

run1500

Waterboy
Reaction score
Give it time and see how he goes ffs guys. Your taking as though he is a failure already. If he hasn't settled there by midway through the season, then fair enough. But if he kils it then we are settled for the centre spots. He has talent, thats for sure, and if he can have his hands on the ball more at centre and cause oppositions some damage, then great. Let's just see how he goes.
By no means would I ever say he is a failure or that he is going to fail. He has skills - 100%. I try to make a point of not bagging on anyone as all the boys are in the team for a reason - because they work hard and they deserve it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why this season though? The opportunities we're we're last year yet he played I think 2 games there? We're potentially going to waste more time again, we just feel way off the pace with these sort of things.

Anyway I'm not writing him off completely, i'm just not confident in the move. We know he's a good winger and at this moment Harper appears to be the better centre, why not just go with that and not overcomplicate it? There's other positions that are in need of tweaking far more than this.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Prefer him on the wing, but if he gets a go at centre then so be it.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I like Remis but Goodluck son you will need it

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wait until Corey hn pops an offload away to reimis to score.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Harper has to be in our best 17, somewhere, anywhere, I don’t care.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Harper has to be in our best 17, somewhere, anywhere, I don’t care.
I felt like Harper almost played his way out of the 17 in the latest trial.

Pay’s shown in the past that trial form does count towards the composition of his Rd1 team, and I reckon Averillo may just get the nod amongst the back 5. There’s also a bit of mail around that he’s in the mix for the utility spot.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Pay’s shown in the past that trial form does count towards the composition of his Rd1 team, and I reckon Averillo may just get the nod amongst the back 5. There’s also a bit of mail around that he’s in the mix for the utility spot.
Don't disagree. I have hopes for Harper (and partly that means Smith on the wing) and I hope he still goes well but he was poor against the Raiders.
Averillo was impressive - showed no fear at all for a 19yo kid - strong, fast and had a red hot go.
Might be a tough assignment against an experienced slimy Eels backline but I'd likely have Averillo in there over Okunbor who still concerns me with most of his game (despite being big/strong too).
Averillo and Meaney (if fit) on the wings wouldn't be bad at all.
We'll all know next Tuesday afternoon when Dean names his team...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know a lot of people want to opt for caution by keeping Reimis on the wing where he's proved he can excel. But he was arguably one of our better backs all season. To me that should equate to him at least getting the opportunity to try his preferred position. It's up to him to hold onto it. And if others are knocking down the door, he's said he'll play where he's needed anyway. So I have no issues with him getting a shot in the centres.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

100 percent agree with you about Harper.

Wouldn't know about Jake, but wouldn't be upset if he did get a spot somewhere. He looks good.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought Smith was pretty meh last year. Didn't get in and do enough work for my liking.

Maybe he want to be in one to get more ball.

I don't know, no too fused if he starts wing or centre tbh.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Weakening the wing spot to build the centres is not the way to go.
We need a centre. Although some of the kennelers hate him, I think Holland might be the best centre we have available.
He has a lot of FG experience and that really counts.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He must’ve read the thread I created haha

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good comment. He's giving a relatively new position a go. A position we've been lacking in quality in. Kudos to him for stepping up.

By all means be critical. That's the nature of a supporter. But at the same time be realistic and understand that he needs a run of games to really see if he's best suited there. And a run of games he'll get. No matter how many of your bleat.