What if we have another bad start to the season?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course Pay would've discussed a medical retirement with Foran, and of course a proud player like Foran, who wants to keep playing and finish on a high, would've felt disrespected in that moment and for a few days after maybe. That's life. Those things happen and then normal adults get on with it, like they seem to have done. Foran is working hard on his rehab and Pay has been publicly very supportive of him.
Pay still can't get his head around the fact Dibsaster & Des ruined the club's salary cap by paying big money for a busted player.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we dont win at least 10 games this year. Pay has to go.

Last edited:

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly think we will be fine, and everyone will start praising the team then the typical Period like menstural mood swings will happen like any other season, our team is fine I’m sure there’s no way any of them want to
Be known as the team who starts shit, we lost by 2
Points to the runners up, without our fullback and a chopped side

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some may not like the question but it is very real. For me the Boards plan was always to give Dean until this year to make a decision on his future. I remember commentators commenting on it at the time he was resigned and what appeared to be a weird extension time frame. I want Dean to succeed, he was a favourite player of mine, I have met him and by every account out there seems to be a great human. That aside how much rope do you give? Yes I know this is not fully his team yet but there's the quandary. Do you throw him the keys to the full salary cap or make a decision before that? If you do throw them and he wastes the cap and fails coaching then we are looking at another 3 plus years to recover again. HOw much rope has he earnt? Has he done his bit already and they want someone else to take it from here?

I think he has 10 games this season and the Club will make the call. Pass mark would have to be around 6 wins from 10.
I’m with you I support him but he
Needs until this year to see who he attracts and what results he gets, to be honest not many coaches would of done well
With our squad, he has built
Character , something you can’t teach .. when your involved in sport
Or
Work and your a thinker sometimes losing so much makes
You hate the feeling and strive to not go back to
That way... I dunno maybe that’s jsut me
But I’m a normal
Guy it’s how I live my life
So I’m sure a team of professional nrl players have the mental strength to continue in from
Last year with a good start ..

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I honestly think we will be fine, and everyone will start praising the team then the typical Period like menstural mood swings will happen like any other season, our team is fine I’m sure there’s no way any of them want to
Be known as the team who starts shit, we lost by 2
Points to the runners up, without our fullback and a chopped side
Well ... it depends on what your definition of 'fine' is if I'm honest.

Fine for me would be continually making the top 4. I don't want that as 'great' or 'amazing' I want that as normal. In other words 'fine' as you say.

So in that context I don't think things will be fine for some time. In no way am I criticizing Pay or the team, just being realitic about things. Need another 2-3 players at a minimum to be pushing for that consistent top 4 position. And we're some time off reaching that imo.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ... it depends on what your definition of 'fine' is if I'm honest.

Fine for me would be continually making the top 4. I don't want that as 'great' or 'amazing' I want that as normal. In other words 'fine' as you say.

So in that context I don't think things will be fine for some time. In no way am I criticizing Pay or the team, just being realitic about things. Need another 2-3 players at a minimum to be pushing for that consistent top 4 position. And we're some time off reaching that imo.
Top 8 is fine to me, but we better sign some quality ok yes’s this year , on paper our team is by far the lowest in experience.
All the main core group have been signed and that main group knew how to win those games last year , a marquee centr and Thompson coming next year excites me but yeah I’m sure if pay doesn’t get them
Performing then they will get rid of him, we need a decent coach and at the moment I’m giving pay benefit of the doubt

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Top 8 is fine to me, but we better sign some quality ok yes’s this year , on paper our team is by far the lowest in experience.
All the main core group have been signed and that main group knew how to win those games last year , a marquee centr and Thompson coming next year excites me but yeah I’m sure if pay doesn’t get them
Performing then they will get rid of him, we need a decent coach and at the moment I’m giving pay benefit of the doubt
Yes, top 8 would be great in my mind also. Need a decent half, hooker, centre. then I think we'll see different things.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If the board don't already have a plan in place for this scenario they are negligent.
I fear their plan will be BS PR spin rather than robust action?

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
This is a genuine question, What do we say happens if we have another slow start to the first half of the season just like previous? Will we finally bite the bullet? I look forward to hearing your opinions on this
If this happens I believe Dean Pay will be replaced...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
With who?
Vaporware.

Go Dogs
No-one can ever answer that unless it’s another suggestion for Flanagan, who:

a) Can’t be a head coach until 2022 under his present conditional return.

b) I would vote against any Bulldogs board who would seriously consider employing this bloke and from other members I’ve spoken to I’m not alone on this topic.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
b) I would vote against any Bulldogs board who would seriously consider employing this bloke and from other members I’ve spoken to I’m not alone on this topic.
I'm just a bit tired of the seemingly endless number of posts along the lines of "if he doesn't win X games he will be replaced", when the fact is there isn't anyone available that is proven to be better. Whilst there are whole lot of those proven to be worse. So it's nothing more than a waste of keystrokes.

Go Dogs

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

So does that mean that we just keep Pay regardless of the performance this season? I cant off the top of my head suggest an alternative but if we have a bad start to the first half of the season, surely you agree we have to look at options.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So does that mean that we just keep Pay regardless of the performance this season? I cant off the top of my head suggest an alternative but if we have a bad start to the first half of the season, surely you agree we have to look at options.
Of course we need to look at options, the relevant question is who are they?
Sacking someone without a better replacement is not what I would call a smart move. Simply because it confines your team to the also ran status for the current year plus it makes recruiting for the next year even more difficult. Especially for us, where 2021 is the big year where we finally have some Cap space. It would just be punishing the coach for poor results without having any benefit short or medium term for the team.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

There’s only a certain time frame for this to be a legitimate reason. If the board say at the next election we are sticking with Pay because we can’t find anyone better even though we haven’t made the finals in 5 years that’s not going to stick. If you have the right people at the top they can get coaches even when they are contracted.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No I don't think it will be an automatic re-signing and Dean will likely have to earn it, just like a bunch of the squad will beyond 2020.
I think the board were strategic in only extending him by 1 year last year - it allows for options either way depending on a few factors - not the least of which are:

a) How we go this year
b) Assuming Dean has the backing of the playing group (and he appears to) - does he get a shot without cap restrictions in 2021 (and that may also depend somewhat on who else we're recruiting for 2021)
c) What alternatives are available if all the signs point to requiring a replacement - which I don't think they do at this point and as you say, alternatives are slim pickings anyway

Bottom line - it's too early to tell. There might be another coach sacked this year or some other possibility who knows.
But I agree that the whole 'if we don't win X games Pay has got to go' is nowhere near the full picture.