My Round 1 Team

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This team would be picked during the offseason and will be sticking with it unless injuries occur.

1. Meaney(id persist with him/real goer)
2. Dwz(ample oppotunity with hoppa)
3. Hopoate(best position)
4. Averillo(needs strong defenda outside)
5. R. Smith(would work well with averilo)
6. Wakeham(needs time on field)
7. Cogger(perfect fit for wakeham)
8. Ogden( keep him on the field)
9. Jmk(can belt out 80) katoa on standby)
10. Napa
11. Jackson
12. Britt
13. Lewis(feel he'd warm to lock)

14. Tolman(could fill in at rake)
15. To omaga
16. Chn(great player can get complacent)
17. Elliot(could also fill in at rake)

Would of liked to experiment with either jackson or stimson at 6.

Okunbur next in line for wing.
Harper next in line for centre.
Holland utility.
Katoa not sold on, could be a train wreck in close games or a saviour.
Rfm stimson and sue next in line forwards.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This team would be picked during the offseason and will be sticking with it unless injuries occur.

10. Napa
11. Jackson
12. Britt

15. To omaga

Holland utility.

As if dwz doesn’t start at fullback after the season he has with us last year.
Hahahaha

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This was my guess before the trials,

01. DWZ
02. Smith
03. Hopoate
04. Harper
05. Meaney
06. Lewis
07. Cogger
08. Tolman
09. Katoa
10. Napa
11. Stimson
12. CHN
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. Britt
16. To'omaga
17. JMK or Wakeham
After the trials, my guess;
01. DWZ
02. Smith
03. Hopoate
04. Harper
05. Meaney
06. Lewis
07. Wakenham
08. Tolman
09. Katoa
10. Napa
11. Britt
12. CHN
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. Elliott
16. To'omaga
17. Cogger

I think Wakeham has skipped in front of Cogger, but it's a close call.
Britt, impressively, has definitely jumped Stimson for the starting position. Plus Elliott recovered from his injury earlier than I though and outplayed Stimson in a very short appearance.
Obviously Foran, RFM and JMK not considered due to injuries.
Smith hasn't convinced me on his centre swap whilst Harper, as I though he would, has confirmed his credentials in the trials.

Go Dogs

Belmore Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This isn’t what I’d like but this is what I think Pay will pick.

1. DWZ
2. Okunbor
3. R Smith
4. Hoppa
5. Meaney
6. Cogger
7. Lewis
8. Tolman
9. Katoa
10. Napa
11. Jackson
12. CHN
13. Elliott

14. JMK
15. Stimson
16. Britt
17. C Smith

C.Smith has a busted Knee.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was my guess before the trials,

After the trials, my guess;
01. DWZ
02. Smith
03. Hopoate
04. Harper
05. Meaney
06. Lewis
07. Wakenham
08. Tolman
09. Katoa
10. Napa
11. Britt
12. CHN
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. Elliott
16. To'omaga
17. Cogger

I think Wakeham has skipped in front of Cogger, but it's a close call.
Britt, impressively, has definitely jumped Stimson for the starting position. Plus Elliott recovered from his injury earlier than I though and outplayed Stimson in a very short appearance.
Obviously Foran, RFM and JMK not considered due to injuries.
Smith hasn't convinced me on his centre swap whilst Harper, as I though he would, has confirmed his credentials in the trials.

Go Dogs
Pretty sure JMK will be right for Rd 1

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
As if dwz doesn’t start at fullback after the season he has with us last year.
Hahahaha
He will start the season there but if he hasn't improved his ability with the ball in hand then I really don't see a long-term future for him at fullback in a good side. A lot of what he does well at fullback can be applied in other positions anyway.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He will start the season there but if he hasn't improved his ability with the ball in hand then I really don't see a long-term future for him at fullback in a good side. A lot of what he does well at fullback can be applied in other positions anyway.

If he isn’t our fullback I hope we go hard after that up himself ponga from Newcastle.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

10. Napa
11. Jackson
12. Britt

15. To omaga

Holland utility.
What fucking drugs do you take?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Team I'd like to see Rd 1

1. DWZ
2. Okunbor
3. Smith
4. Hoppa
5. Meaney
6. Lewis
7. Cogger
8. Renouf
9. Katoa
10. Napa
11. Jackson
12. CHN
13. Tolman

14. Wakeham
15. Britt
16. Ogden
17. Elliott

I expect Pay to go with that backline provided Meaney and DWZ are fit. Elliott will probably be on the starting team rather than Renouf, and Holland rather than Wakeham on the bench.

It seems that in pre-season Okunbor and Smith have been preparing to play left side together, and after all that prep it would be really weird not to give the combo a good 5 or 6 games to show something. It would also be confusing for the rest of the team and a likely hit to morale, "if a regular first grader like Smith can work hard in pre-season for a spot and at the last moment this coach doesn't even give him a chance there, what is going to happen to my prospects?"

Speaking of prospects, I like the prospect of Meaney outside Hoppa, hoping our veteran outside back can steer the young fella into a few gaps. Wakeham I want around the NRL team one way or another. I feel Lewis and Cogger have to have first shot, whatever anyone says, but they will need to produce wins if they want to stay there. Wakeham comes on in a halves roll if there is any injury to the backline, with Lewis shuffling to centre if need be, or he comes on to give Katoa a breather. Perhaps also give him the last 30 minutes of the game for either Lewis or Cogger if we need a hail mary or in the unlikely event we are leading by 20 points.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If he isn’t our fullback I hope we go hard after that up himself ponga from Newcastle.
There's a few things we could try before splashing out millions on Ponga. I think there's a few different options we could go with at fullback in a years+ time..Meaney could be better suited there now, Averillo has all the attacking ability so again could potentially be an option if the club wants to go down that path while I'm sure some kid in the NRL will again make a splash and draw some interest.

Anyway DWZ has the role now and he has this season to build on last and add the required skills to his game.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think so, thinking he will miss a few rounds.
JMKs listed on NRL casualty ward for Rd1 return and in Jacko's post-match interview he mentioned a few players being right for Rd 1. He didn't mention names but assumed he meant Meaney, DWZ and probably JMK (Sue and Montoya surely not in line for 1st grade). Nothing concrete but really hoping it's the case cause I wasn't very impressed with Katoa against Canberra. Looked sharp at dummy half in the first 20 but got sloppy in all aspects after that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
JMKs listed on NRL casualty ward for Rd1 return and in Jacko's post-match interview he mentioned a few players being right for Rd 1. He didn't mention names but assumed he meant Meaney, DWZ and probably JMK (Sue and Montoya surely not in line for 1st grade). Nothing concrete but really hoping it's the case cause I wasn't very impressed with Katoa against Canberra. Looked sharp at dummy half in the first 20 but got sloppy in all aspects after that.
I'd be amazed and slightly concerned if JMK plays. He has missed a fair chunk of preseason and only started non contact sessions just over a week ago and probably still won't join the main group for at least another week.

JMK is definitely the more reliable but really doesn't offer anything more than okay service and a lot of work in defence. Katoa defenitely has more spark and vision but he's really erratic and like you said can get sloppy. If JMK actually knew how to run and didn't look like he was going to fall over at contact then I think he would be a lot better, but at this stage they're both pretty underwhelming options and we will have to use them in a dual hooker role to see the best of them.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Our forwards are looking strong. I like Britt in the front row to partner Napa. And once rfm is back I think he needs to be in the 17.
Averillo could sneak on to the wing but I think okunbor needs to be there.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe the Dogs need some size and aggression in the middle third - Ogden can do that BUT he is often very slow in getting into position after making tackles and good dummy halves n first receivers exploit it. Its an issue for most of the bigger props in the game - Toomaga deserves a spot.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay will be conservative
I am going to be adventurous
DWZ
Averillo
Smith
Hopoate
Meaney
Lewis
Wakeham.
Tolman
JMK / Katoa
Napa / To'omaga ?
CHN
Brit
Jackson

To'omaga / Napa
Ogden
Elliott
Stimson (unfit) / Katoa / Cogger

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are very few of those fullbacks anyway. Honestly who are the ball playing fullbacks now? RTS and Mitchell? Who else? Tedesco is borderline that's about it. The rest are ball runners.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty sure JMK will be right for Rd 1
Hope so. Want to see what he’s got, an if he’s the real deal this year. Also needs to be out there so he can start working with all the other boys..!!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unlike previous years Pay has taken trials seriously this year and has given our main players a good run so kudos there.

I think the side will be largely predictable with DWZ and Meaney slotting back in to their respective positions

Elliott I thought wasn’t too bad in the last game, in that first try created space when he got early ball and by and large played with more attacking mindset than our halves