Opinion Where do the dogs sit in terms of fitness alone?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Typical. Lost any sense of humour you may have had.
Same bloke has also come out saying that the entire squad is unhappy and that there’s an apparent rift between Foran and Pay going on.

I know you’re quite gullible wendog but for everyone else, his posts should be taken with a grain of salt.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Another thing that leads me to believing it is that I know a Sharks trainer and a certain player that changed clubs last year couldn't believe the difference in their pre-season to ours and as result he recorded his best results in 6 years.
J-Moz? Might have a lot to do with his attitude, which was pretty poor by the end of his time at Belmore because we wouldn’t give him and his brother 2 year contracts. And look at his attitude now that the Sharts won’t release him to Bondi - wonder if he’ll be doing PB’s now.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Same bloke has also come out saying that the entire squad is unhappy and that there’s an apparent rift between Foran and Pay going on.

I know you’re quite gullible wendog but for everyone else, his posts should be taken with a grain of salt.
No dramas if you believe the credibility of what I write or not but make yourself known to someone on the board/roster/ coaching staff and ask them was an independent review done.The rift between Foran and Pay started when Pay told him in 2018 he wanted him to medically retire and snowballed from there.Dont hate the messenger.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
J-Moz? Might have a lot to do with his attitude, which was pretty poor by the end of his time at Belmore because we wouldn’t give him and his brother 2 year contracts. And look at his attitude now that the Sharts won’t release him to Bondi - wonder if he’ll be doing PB’s now.
This is pre-season data and I doubt he had a bad attitude then or the previous pre-seasons.

The trainer said that it is very hard to achieve new PB's at his stage of his career and it would have been almost impossible doing the same program over and over again which the Dogs had him doing. The onus is on the training staff to modify the program and that didn't happen.

I really hope Lobster and Harris have caught up with the times.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This is pre-season data and I doubt he had a bad attitude then or the previous pre-seasons.

The trainer said that it is very hard to achieve new PB's at his stage of his career and it would have been almost impossible doing the same program over and over again which the Dogs had him doing. The onus is on the training staff to modify the program and that didn't happen.

I really hope Lobster and Harris have caught up with the times.
There’s always continuous improvement and yes maybe PB was the wrong term for a footballer in his 30’s but I’d still suggest it was more than any specific training regime that helped with any improved results.

Bottom line: if our club aren’t monitoring their competitors and/or keeping abreast of the latest tools and techniques then they are not doing their job and I’ve seen no evidence that’s the case.

If the issue was so obvious during Hilly’s end of season review with the players, why weren’t changes made?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Oh ok, I guess we are fucked then..
Haha but know what you mean.
I thought the Lakers were a sure thing that game and put big money on them.
League is a game much more suited to emotion though and we were never winning that game against the warriors

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s always continuous improvement and yes maybe PB was the wrong term for a footballer in his 30’s but I’d still suggest it was more than any specific training regime that helped with any improved results.

Bottom line: if our club aren’t monitoring their competitors and/or keeping abreast of the latest tools and techniques then they are not doing their job and I’ve seen no evidence that’s the case.

If the issue was so obvious during Hilly’s end of season review with the players, why weren’t changes made?
You'd probably have to be in the inner sanctum to answer that. Maybe the club was happy with the fitness last year and didn't think they needed to change anything.

They may have changed the program and not the staff or made no changes at all. We won't know until a few rounds in.

The thing is with the way we are going to play we have to be one of the fittest if not the fittest to stay in the grind week after week.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha but know what you mean.
I thought the Lakers were a sure thing that game and put big money on them.
League is a game much more suited to emotion though and we were never winning that game against the warriors
Hahahaha foot in mouth,

What’s worse is I am reasonably interested in NBA because of Simmons and fellow aussies tearing it up and watch a few 76’ers games and also a few Lakers because of LeBron.

Point was and is that winning just like losing becomes a habit and I want us to start on the front foot and not the back like last year.

Everything can become a habit just like being positive or negative...

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

The negative always looking to lay the boot in to the club lap that shit up mate

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You'd probably have to be in the inner sanctum to answer that. Maybe the club was happy with the fitness last year and didn't think they needed to change anything.

They may have changed the program and not the staff or made no changes at all. We won't know until a few rounds in.

The thing is with the way we are going to play we have to be one of the fittest if not the fittest to stay in the grind week after week.
I agree that it’s currently too early to judge. Interested to see how they go in their second 80min hit-out this afternoon.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the amount of stoppages currently in the game, without doubt, Bellamy's approach is the right one.. if the referee's allowed the game to flow better, than pays way would be correct.
This!!!

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me nrl is about line breaks.

That is all explosive running and power.

Cardio fitness comes with game time.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No dramas if you believe the credibility of what I write or not but make yourself known to someone on the board/roster/ coaching staff and ask them was an independent review done.The rift between Foran and Pay started when Pay told him in 2018 he wanted him to medically retire and snowballed from there.Dont hate the messenger.
No hate on the messenger but the message itself makes zero sense. Firstly Foran is extremely motivated to get back on the field mostly because he just loves to play footy, loves the competition, reveals in the contact and the challenge. His next to world record recovery time from the syndesmosis is a testament to his work ethic on recovery and he's is doing it again with the shoulder injury recovery. Two sources from the Kiwi team have confirmed that he spoke many times in their camp of wanting to repay us because he knows that he hasn't delivered. Doesn't sound to me like he's too unhappy with the coach or the team, more not happy with himself that he hasn't been able to do what everyone knows that he can.

As for what was said back in 2018, coaches tell players far harsher truths every day, it's part of the job.

Go Dogs

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No hate on the messenger but the message itself makes zero sense. Firstly Foran is extremely motivated to get back on the field mostly because he just loves to play footy, loves the competition, reveals in the contact and the challenge. His next to world record recovery time from the syndesmosis is a testament to his work ethic on recovery and he's is doing it again with the shoulder injury recovery. Two sources from the Kiwi team have confirmed that he spoke many times in their camp of wanting to repay us because he knows that he hasn't delivered. Doesn't sound to me like he's too unhappy with the coach or the team, more not happy with himself that he hasn't been able to do what everyone knows that he can.

As for what was said back in 2018, coaches tell players far harsher truths every day, it's part of the job.

Go Dogs
I’d re sign Foran for a fraction of what he’s on.. he has a lot to offer. And not many other halves in his league off contract for next year..

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Don't think it was fitness that hurt us last yr but lack of experience. Wed drop our heads once we let in a try. They should have more mental toughness on the back of last yr. A lot of guys were thrown in the deep end and needed to lead. Im expecting them to be ready this year.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Twin you seem to have a negative reply to all my threads mate,please move on as it is becoming tedious.I have spoke with players within the squad and know what he is feeling.His work ethic towards injuries was never questioned and I won’t requote what I have said previous about how he has done this rehab work.
You do not know what was said to him in 2018 so do not trot out the “coaches talk to players like that all the time” tripe.
I’m filthy on myself for even replying so do me a favour.....trot on

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Twin you seem to have a negative reply to all my threads mate,please move on as it is becoming tedious.I have spoke with players within the squad and know what he is feeling.His work ethic towards injuries was never questioned and I won’t requote what I have said previous about how he has done this rehab work.
You do not know what was said to him in 2018 so do not trot out the “coaches talk to players like that all the time” tripe.
I’m filthy on myself for even replying so do me a favour.....trot on
If you post stuff that I don't agree with and/or I have better information about then I'm sorry but I'm just not going to let them sit unchallenged. Nothing personal I can assure you.

Go Dogs

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In terms of NRL fitness the top 30 look ready to rip in. You see instagram posts of the Dragons in the gym with their shirts off all ripped after a post-gym pump but then completely flame out after May as their bodies break down from overtraining in the preseason.

You've got blokes like Marty Tapau setting DL records but then you watch him defending his goal line and getting side-stepped like he's stuck in mud. Too much size can also be a problem.

As long as the boys have the mix of endurance and power and play aggressive and together there's no stopping us.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In terms of NRL fitness the top 30 look ready to rip in. You see instagram posts of the Dragons in the gym with their shirts off all ripped after a post-gym pump but then completely flame out after May as their bodies break down from overtraining in the preseason.

You've got blokes like Marty Tapau setting DL records but then you watch him defending his goal line and getting side-stepped like he's stuck in mud. Too much size can also be a problem.

As long as the boys have the mix of endurance and power and play aggressive and together there's no stopping us.
The science of fitness has changed many times as the game has evolved. I loved Billy Johnson when he use to kick the living shit out of our players and had them as one of the fittest teams in the comp. But the game changed and its becoming more and more scientific and methods like Billy's dont cut it anymore. I am hoping we learnt from last year and have spread out our our fitness programs so we dont hit a wall early like last year, i thought all the guys looked pretty energized in the trials.

Lets hope they are serious about reducing the wrestle in tackles as that will benefit us from an endurance perspective.

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
At least we played a few hard trials this year instead of turning up to Rd 1 soft