Opinion No Structure

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let’s leave the excuses and hypotheticals out and answer the question at hand.

Who was Wakeham marking?

It was the bloke who ran past him and scored the try was it not?
Wakeham was marking up on the second rower.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't believe people are still trying to blame Wakeham for that try :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Wasn't just that try,if u watched his positional play,u would have seen where Canberra directed their attack,but he's young he will learn,and I also stated he's not up to it at the moment,

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have recruited well with limited funds but that doesn't make the coach any better,if you haven't got it you ain't got it

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
somebody pointed it out before, the defence broke down in the middle as is illustrated by 3-4 guys bunched under the post near the play the ball (not blaming them they defended their asses off all game) it was always going to be a try. Classic TK writing a player off on one single play

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who was CHN marking then, fresh air?
The Raiders second rower (14) is Wakehams man to his left. CHN should have the Williams but hasn’t come across.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
somebody pointed it out before, the defence broke down in the middle as is illustrated by 3-4 guys bunched under the post near the play the ball (not blaming them they defended their asses off all game) it was always going to be a try. Classic TK writing a player off on one single play
Not at all Howard Moon, I like what Wakeham is developing into and love his DNA..:-)tearsofjoy:hahah) I think he is the best combo option with Lewis at the moment but if you wrap a bloke you have to also see the warts. Regardless of the defence line at the time he was right in front of the bloke carrying the ball and did nothing. I bet he would be the first bloke to tell you he should of played the man and not the ball.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The people calling for Wakeham are doing so because of his attacking ability. No one ever made him out to be the best defender ever.

The people calling for Lewis have always talked up his defence.

In last weeks trial Lewis' defence was terrible and he created nothing in attack.

Right now each has one advantage but our massive issue is scoring points so I know who I'd go with round 1.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The people calling for Wakeham are doing so because of his attacking ability. No one ever made him out to be the best defender ever.

In last weeks trial Lewis' defence was terrible and he created nothing in attack.

Right now each has one advantage but our massive issue is scoring points so I know who I'd go with round 1.
Unfortunately I think this is where Pay might have made an error. If he had decided Lewis was going to start and also put the 6 on his back it should have been just a shoot out between Cogger and Wakeham giving them equal time at 7 either a whole game each or split halves. Instead we got a disjointed mish mash in both games that didn't help either and didn't allow the team to have cohesion one way or the other.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

And that is our reality.
Its painful because we have a squad that will fight, win on grit etc but we dont have anyone to steer the ship.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
lewis is a park footballer at best, the team will not progress until the club gets a proven halves combination

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
lewis is a park footballer at best, the team will not progress until the club gets a proven halves combination
Yup Lewis is not the answer, I think wakeham am cogger are, but then again this is still unknown.!! But those two will form a better combination than Lewis with whoever.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think this is where Pay might have made an error. If he had decided Lewis was going to start and also put the 6 on his back it should have been just a shoot out between Cogger and Wakeham giving them equal time at 7 either a whole game each or split halves. Instead we got a disjointed mish mash in both games that didn't help either and didn't allow the team to have cohesion one way or the other.
That would have made most sense 100% agree. I think we really got nothing from that trial yesterday.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And that is our reality.
Its painful because we have a squad that will fight, win on grit etc but we dont have anyone to steer the ship.
I'd also add that our structures are lacking. We have some players with plenty of ability but we don't play to their strengths anywhere near enough. Something as simple as getting CHN some early ball, using some change of angles with players with good footwork, etc would make a difference and it's thing we're more than capable of doing.

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I dont care if you support pay or not, but the biggest indicator for me that pay just dosent have it, is the non existent structure in this team.
Discuss
You don’t put ya cards on the line in a pissy trial, their not that stupid ?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Again, have another look. CHN was 1 off the ruck and was marking the lead runner. Wakeham was responsible for his opposite number Williams and missed him.
Sorry the markers had to take the dummy half, CHN as the A defenders job was Williams the A attacker but he didnt come across, Wakeham wasnt to blame. Tomorrow's video session will confirm.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Didn't we win 6 from 7 last year when the boys obviously threw out Pays "structure" out the window and started playing for eachother?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We have recruited well with limited funds but that doesn't make the coach any better,if you haven't got it you ain't got it
Now. To be clear. I'm not a huge fan of Pay nor am I getting into "This side is right..." style argument .... BUT ....

Of the current top coaches. Who were instantly successful? As in the first 2 years of their career. Took Bennett 4 years at Brisbane, didn't it? How'd he go at the Raiders? Same with Bellamy at the Storm.

Now obviously we can't compare those two with him because Bennett was already coaching the Maroons when he started at Brisbane, and Bellamy made the semis from memory in his first 3 years before winning. But at the same time each coach takes time to become successful. Can we really say that after 2 years coaching a salary cap ridden team where we sodl a bunch of our top players (unlike Brisbane & Melbourne) that we can truly judge Pay?

Now ... to be clear I'm not defending Pay as I'm sure most of you are aware I'm a pretty big critic of his. Based on what he's done so far, I don't think he's the right man for the Dogs but there's a lot of mitigating factors at play here. Personally don't think he'll be around in 2021 but I hope he will be because if he is that means he's turned a corner and we play well this year!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Or he could stay on as defence coach if he doesn't get any offers as a head coach with another NRL Zclub....could see him head over to SL where he would probably go ok.
Now. To be clear. I'm not a huge fan of Pay nor am I getting into "This side is right..." style argument .... BUT ....

Of the current top coaches. Who were instantly successful? As in the first 2 years of their career. Took Bennett 4 years at Brisbane, didn't it? How'd he go at the Raiders? Same with Bellamy at the Storm.

Now obviously we can't compare those two with him because Bennett was already coaching the Maroons when he started at Brisbane, and Bellamy made the semis from memory in his first 3 years before winning. But at the same time each coach takes time to become successful. Can we really say that after 2 years coaching a salary cap ridden team where we sodl a bunch of our top players (unlike Brisbane & Melbourne) that we can truly judge Pay?

Now ... to be clear I'm not defending Pay as I'm sure most of you are aware I'm a pretty big critic of his. Based on what he's done so far, I don't think he's the right man for the Dogs but there's a lot of mitigating factors at play here. Personally don't think he'll be around in 2021 but I hope he will be because if he is that means he's turned a corner and we play well this year!