Opinion The R Smith Centre move/experiment

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Smith has had two trials in his new position and looks like that is where Pay will start the season with him and I guess will persist with him unless he’s forced to move him back to the wing (form)

What did you all make of his first couple of outings albeit trial games?

Personally I think eventually he can make an impact there though he wasn’t really tested in defence and I don’t remember too many opportunities where he’s had early ball and space in front of him - He may have had a try assist v Sharks (last try) I might be wrong ....

He’s got the athletic build to make a go of it (size,height,strength,speed) but as yet to be seen whether he has the vision/awareness and sleight of hand ala Hoppa

I would keep him on the wing and play Harper at Centre to start the season but also excited to see what he can offer closer to the action.

Yes, I’m firmly sitting on the fence with this one haha

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Didn't feel this was ever the right move and honestly Harper has looked miles better at centre than Smith has. Skillset leans way more to that of a winger than centre imo.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't really like it he has been our best winger over the past few years and I don't think we are in a position where we can experiment by moving players around.

He will be dangerous with the ball but defence is going to be issue and he hasn't had any chance to form a combination with wingers in the trials.

If it works great but if it doesn't it will be a bit of a problem as there will have to be a back line re shuffle to get him back on the wing.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I prefer Reimis on the wing. But to be fair he’s done no wrong at centre so far and will only improve.

Was quietly hoping Harper would have a big game yesterday which could force Reimis to stay on the wing but he was poor.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You don't weaken one position to strengthen another.

But if any winger can make a successful transition to centre, I'm pretty sure Smith can.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed the game and comments,

How did Okunbor go?

How did our halves go?

How did Katoa go will he start in front of JMK?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel it is too early to judge. Happy to give him more time.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be a huge advantage to have 2 tall wingers in Oka and Smith. Maybe we could try Meaney at centre. He's quick. Mitchell made the move from fullback to centre. One thing I like about Harper is he often gets the ball back from one on one steals.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I missed the game and comments,

How did Okunbor go?

How did our halves go?

How did Katoa go will he start in front of JMK?
Okunbor had a pretty good game made plenty of metres and strong runs and had good hands.

No one really stood out in the halves for mine. Lewis and Cogger had the whole first half and Wakeham and Cogger in the second.

Katoa was ok in defence but he really started over playing his hand on the Raiders try line and doing too much. He has some nice ball playing but really has to learn when to use it.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He did play alot of lower grades at centre, will be interesting to see if he can transition against the big boys.

I'm also sitting on the fence on this one, will see what happens in the first few games before calling it a success.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbor had a pretty good game made plenty of metres and strong runs and had good hands.

No one really stood out in the halves for mine. Lewis and Cogger had the whole first half and Wakeham and Cogger in the second.

Katoa was ok in defence but he really started over playing his hand on the Raiders try line and doing too much. He has some nice ball playing but really has to learn when to use it.
Thanks,

Sounds like Pay will decide Smith to remain in centres if Meany is fit with Okunbor on wing.

Lewis & Cogger to be halves.

JMK to be hooker.

Bench players will be interesting.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks,

Sounds like Pay will decide Smith to remain in centres if Meany is fit with Okunbor on wing.

JMK to be hooker.

He might go

1. DWZ
6. Lewis
7. Wakeham
9. Katoa

I don’t think JMK will slot straight back at 9 on no match fitness so could be the utility on bench

I think if we continue to defend well and work on /improve attack then we can overachieve this season

Our pack can match any on our day so it will be our halves (and spine) that will dictate how well we go

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

JMK to be hooker.

I think Meaney will be right for Round 1 but if he isn't Smith will still stay at centre and Averillo will go to the wing. This is just going off what Pay has done in the trials.

Yeah I think that will be the halves too.

Katoa will probably start round 1 due to match fitness I guess that's if JMK is good to go.

Britt and To'Omaga have to be on the bench but I'm not sure after that.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He might go

1. DWZ
6. Lewis
7. Wakeham
9. Katoa

I don’t think JMK will slot straight back at 9 on no match fitness so could be the utility on bench

I think if we continue to defend well and work on /improve attack then we can overachieve this season

Our pack can match any on our day so it will be our halves (and spine) that will dictate how well we go

Like the look of that spine with Lewis over Cogger to make up for Wakehams defence if necessary.

But Pay is a conservative coach so I wouldn't be putting any money on it.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont really understand the reasons behind this move and havent seen anything in the trials to change my mind that it is a waste of his potential to be a top winger

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d like to see him play a few comp games with our full backline & see how he goes. I liked him as a winger but we aren’t exactly blessed with centre options this year and him getting more ball will be interesting