Knockonbor no more? Have the balls dropped?

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Two great games in a row, extremely hard to contain and no drop balls but his own?

Kid was terrific coming off the line, defence was decent and looked as aggressive as anybody has seen.

If he continues the way he is this could be his break out year, become a X factor and maybe the big winger this club is missing.

Last edited:

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Jury is still out for me. We have seen him have a good game before, followed by multiple games of shit.

I like to see players play some consistent good footy before blowing sunshine up their arse.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hasn't really been challenged, especially today imo still not sold on the kid

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is the strongest outside back coming out of our end, and considering we are likely going to be doing a lot of that this year he could very well be one of our most important players

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Reimis is classified as a centre now then Okonbur and Meaney are the best wingers we have.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From the interviews I've seen him in, he seems pretty determined to succeed. I haven't seen either trial so I can't comment on his form. But he'll push for a spot if he gets his deficiencies in order.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hasn't really been challenged, especially today imo still not sold on the kid
Defence wise I agree though with ball his has been outstanding. Any player which attracts 4 payers and still stands in a tackle is fantastic coming out of the backfield.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He wasnt tested in defense today.
Round 1 he will show his true colours letting in 2/3 tries in and the look on his face like "it wasnt me!!"

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why wasn't he tested today? How is it even feasible that an opposing team doesn't run onto the field with a plan to run plays down his wing and lob bombs at him all game long?

He went well today. He has a major strength in his running, and the coaches have him playing to that strength. Has some good toe too, went with a reasonable option on a long break down the right hand touchline and though it didn't come to anything we got the ball back which is the next best result.

The couple times he faced a challenge in terms of his handling he managed to hold onto the pill, so we now have proof that he can in fact do that.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I really don’t like Averillo being used as a winger. Would rathe Tui Katoa and Averillo used as a centre, half or fullback.
Yeah no argument though I don't care if he plays wing because I have no issue with blooding players on a wing but Tui showed some good glimpses and is a natural rep winger. Only problem may be speed but because I haven't seen much speed about him for a while.

Playing Wakeham and Averillo in the halves together in Ccup will be interesting to watch.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's quite a few backs who appear to have potential at the club. They do need someone working with them to get them to the next level.

I like Okunbur and want him to make it but definitely still a work in progress.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbir is not a first grader, and he’s not even a CC Player, he should retire

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t mind him at all
Might need some time in the real competition to find his feet and gain genuine confidence
The fans can’t crucify this young man after just a few games
He ran with purpose today which is a positive sign in my opinion

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Okunbur could be anything as he has a tonne of potential but he still has some basic flaws in his game and defensively he's very vulnerable.. It will be interesting to see how much he is targeted in the early rounds and how well he handles it.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not sold or was NEVER a fan of his at all, but he was one of our best today and may just be starting to find his feet an form, so although the jury still out, I am a little more optimistic an interested to see what he can offer/be in the near future..!!

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You have to remember okunbor was never a winger he was always a back rower. Just randomly got chucked on the wing one game because of an injury and ended up staying there..
he’s got a bit to improve but that will happen the more he plays. We need a big winger like him in the side

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he cuts his errors out a winger getting us 200-300 m every game is a huge plus

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You have to remember okunbor was never a winger he was always a back rower. Just randomly got chucked on the wing one game because of an injury and ended up staying there..
he’s got a bit to improve but that will happen the more he plays. We need a big winger like him in the side
I really don't know why Pay is still persisting with him on the wing. Some of Pay's decisions in regards to selection and game plan for today are questionable but I hope these were just for the fact it was a trial match. I will be worried if he persists with the same problems come round 1.