Opinion No Structure

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Im not sure how much footy you’ve played Spoonman but as a defender your foremost responsibility is to cover your opposite man. When the ball was played Wakeham was marking Williams. If they’ve got an extra man out wide then you’ve gotta make them earn it by going through the hands to find that extra man. Wakeham took his eyes off his man and his man went through and scored. Simple as that.

But thanks for proving my point that Wakeham can do no wrong in the eyes of the experts on here.
I thinks hes green but so far this pre-season Wakeham has shown more than Lewis. And Cogger has too. None of the 3 are "there yet" imo. We lack a gun half for sure. Foran.. SMH

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds to me like someone is doing some shit-canning.... Lol , but he just said during the week he didn't shit can wakeham...
We’ve got different ideas on the definition of shit-canning mate.

Shit-canning to me is labelling someone as clueless, useless, pathetic etc as per what many here label certain players and the coach.

Didn’t realise that raising a defensive miss was shit-canning someone?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im not sure how much footy you’ve played Spoonman but as a defender your foremost responsibility is to cover your opposite man. When the ball was played Wakeham was marking Williams. If they’ve got an extra man out wide then you’ve gotta make them earn it by going through the hands to find that extra man. Wakeham took his eyes off his man and his man went through and scored. Simple as that.

But thanks for proving my point that Wakeham can do no wrong in the eyes of the experts on here.
I have played plenty of footy and don’t agree with you at all with that Wakeham tackle.

I was pretty disappointed with Wakeham’s overall game tonight. Granted we were on the backfoot for most of that second half after the Hoppa knock on but Wakeham didn’t do anything to turn the tide. His kicking game was average and he didn’t get involved much at all then threw a shocking pass off the scrum to Harper.

Wakeham still has a long way to go you get games like that with young halves.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I thinks hes green but so far this pre-season Wakeham has shown more than Lewis. And Cogger has too. None of the 3 are "there yet" imo. We lack a gun half for sure. Foran.. SMH
That’s the conundrum we face mate. Our key man who also occupies over 10% of our overall cap space isn’t on the field and rarely is.

We’re obviously a better team with greater attacking capabilities if he’s out there. We’ve got 3 halves vying for 2 spots who are all very young and developing. They’re all works in progress and their attacking games will improve with time.

For what it’s worth I thought Lewis was clearly the pick of the 3 today. Not that he will get any acknowledgement from the masses on here.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We’ve got different ideas on the definition of shit-canning mate.

Shit-canning to me is labelling someone as clueless, useless, pathetic etc as per what many here label certain players and the coach.

Didn’t realise that raising a defensive miss was shit-canning someone?
Well yes it is clearly shit canning , especially when the person you are blaming was not to blame..

You blamed wakeham to fit your narrative and to try and justify you were right in previously bagging him..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
WAKEHAM.!!!!

At the end of the day, Lewis played his natural game, he had a big boot, and gets plenty of hang time, he also has (it appears) a lot of time like we all know, but the truth of it is.. wakeham must start at 6 or 7, and he paired with cogger. I just don’t see Lewis there.

however, we all know pay will pick Lewis and give him his time this year.!! Let’s just hope since it’s inevitable, that Lewis and wakeham gel, if not then pay needs to get cogger out there with wakeham (sooner than later) an see how that goes, but don’t keep chopping and changing as we need our halves to click and leaving them to form that partnership is the only way.

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I actually think we have the players that work well in structure but comes down to execution .
Our players are very similar being the grinding out hard working typical footballers who follow plain and simple game plans
Defence should be (and is mostly) very consistent but we cannot execute well as the team is not naturally dynamic nor fluent
A couple of times we go wide today and we overrun football and ball goes to ground.
If we managed to pull off some cohesion then it starts to look better and structure instantly seems better.
We have players hitting it up then we go to back line and structure seems to be there
Then we have the issue of no genuine x factor that can create something out of nothing and threatens .
Also until the season is 5 games in will we see true results as the team is a little choppy due to trials understandably .

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Well yes it is clearly shit canning , especially when the person you are blaming was not to blame..

You blamed wakeham to fit your narrative and to try and justify you were right in previously bagging him..
Whatever you say champion. This whole narrative is one you’ve cooked up because even in that thread which you like to cite I never shit-canned him.

The premise of that thread was that he was a long way off being this saviour for our attack that everyone seems to think he is. That premise still stands.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whatever you say champion. This whole narrative is one you’ve cooked up because even in that thread which you like to cite I never shit-canned him.

The premise of that thread was he was a fair way off being this saviour for our attack that everyone seems to think he is. That premise still stands.
You are a hypocrite.. that's all "Champ"..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The attack is a work in progress.

2 of our best attacking weapons in Foran and DWZ are on the sidelines. Then you’ve also got Meaney and JMK who would be in our top 13 who also aren’t out there.

We fielded 20+ players today also, many of whom played various positions throughout the match. There’s naturally gonna be a bit of clunkiness with the attack, you saw this with the Raiders attack also.

On the bright side, the defence was superb and we kept some genuine attacking weapons very quiet throughout.

Very good hit out overall.
Counting on foran as playing for us is clutching,keep it real its out of our current 3 halves

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I dont care if you support pay or not, but the biggest indicator for me that pay just dosent have it, is the non existent structure in this team.
Discuss
Honestly, what did you expect though?

Whether you like Foran or not, when he was playing last year we looked a different team in attack. We've got young untested halves. Hooker we're serverely lacking in. I don't know what anyone else was expecting?

I'm not here to support Pay or not but he can only work with what he's got. IF you ask me all of this 'defence first' stuff is the realisation that our attack really isn't up to scratch. The club did bring in Shifty to help with things, which is a positive step but it takes time to change things. It'd be nice to see us attacking better, but do we honestly have the players to do that? Everyone talks about Wakeham being some kind of Messiah but is he? Really?

Of course things should look better. Of course it'd be more wonderful to have a premiership winning coach who's had years of experience at the top level. It'd also be wonderful having a better spine. But we don't ... and the reality of it is that we don't have an option to get any of those this year, so we first need to focus on what we're 'good' at which is defending and grow from there.

For me whether you like Pay or not, this is the best way to approach things. (not saying forget about defence btw....)

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was gonna put some input but then I saw who the op was! Meh

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not convinced on wakeham yet.
Still think hoppa should play 6 alongside Lewis as I have been saying this for weeks now.
Hoppa will run all day off Lewis and those silky hands are dangerous.
First try wasn't bad right, they both combined to send our boy averillo in the corner.
How good is averillo? It took meaney nearly a good year to get going, this kid is ready now, must be picked round 1.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get this tolman at halfback thing , then passing to another forward.
They need to get out of the way, our halves need to be handling the ball at least 3 or 4 times per set particularly in the attacking zone.
I get that in attack we are building for something, but what is that something, what's our trick play? Surely not just the bomb right?
What about our sweeping plays, when fullback chimes in, or the wrap around play...give us something....hopefully will be revealed in the season proper
WAKEHAM.!!!!

At the end of the day, Lewis played his natural game, he had a big boot, and gets plenty of hang time, he also has (it appears) a lot of time like we all know, but the truth of it is.. wakeham must start at 6 or 7, and he paired with cogger. I just don’t see Lewis there.

however, we all know pay will pick Lewis and give him his time this year.!! Let’s just hope since it’s inevitable, that Lewis and wakeham gel, if not then pay needs to get cogger out there with wakeham (sooner than later) an see how that goes, but don’t keep chopping and changing as we need our halves to click and leaving them to form that partnership is the only way.
I actually think we have the players that work well in structure but comes down to execution .
Our players are very similar being the grinding out hard working typical footballers who follow plain and simple game plans
Defence should be (and is mostly) very consistent but we cannot execute well as the team is not naturally dynamic nor fluent
A couple of times we go wide today and we overrun football and ball goes to ground.
If we managed to pull off some cohesion then it starts to look better and structure instantly seems better.
We have players hitting it up then we go to back line and structure seems to be there
Then we have the issue of no genuine x factor that can create something out of nothing and threatens .
Also until the season is 5 games in will we see true results as the team is a little choppy due to trials understandably .

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So are we getting the spoon this year? Didn’t watch the game but sounds like we were putrid. So we’re no chance in round 1 yeah?! I’ll put Parra 13 plus in my multi. Easy win

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So are we getting the spoon this year? Didn’t watch the game but sounds like we were putrid. So we’re no chance in round 1 yeah?! I’ll put Parra 13 plus in my multi. Easy win
The game thread as well as many other posts on here are a bit misleading. You’d think we’d got beaten by 60.

In actual fact, all that separated us from last years grand finalists at full strength was a conversion kick.

Dogs 1-12 for your Round 1 multi mate ;)

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Whether you like Foran or not, when he was playing last year we looked a different team in attack. We've got young untested halves. Hooker we're serverely lacking in. I don't know what anyone else was expecting?

I'm not here to support Pay or not but he can only work with what he's got. IF you ask me all of this 'defence first' stuff is the realisation that our attack really isn't up to scratch. The club did bring in Shifty to help with things, which is a positive step but it takes time to change things. It'd be nice to see us attacking better, but do we honestly have the players to do that? Everyone talks about Wakeham being some kind of Messiah but is he? Really?

Of course things should look better. Of course it'd be more wonderful to have a premiership winning coach who's had years of experience at the top level. It'd also be wonderful having a better spine. But we don't ... and the reality of it is that we don't have an option to get any of those this year, so we first need to focus on what we're 'good' at which is defending and grow from there.

For me whether you like Pay or not, this is the best way to approach things. (not saying forget about defence btw....)
Pay has had more than two years to get the best out of the likes of lewis, people say we dont have the spine, yes its not great by any means but a good coach will get try to get the best out of what hes got
I see the potential in some players

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Steve - you and your common sense.
Sheesh...:-).