News Campo’s Corner preview: Bulldogs

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of Tolman there tbh..but overall I think the move would be a good one for us as it allows us to start the game with a stronger ball carrier through the middle.

Kinda also have an eye on the future with this move, think Thompson would be better suited as a lock and if To'omaga gets a year under his belt then that would put less pressure on Thompson when he's here and not force him into a role he isn't as comfortable in.
I would rather tolman not even be in the team tbh.. but we all know he is one of the first players picked, so if he's going to be in the team I honestly believe 13 would be his best position.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So realistically would be something like

8. To'maga
10. Napa
11. Jackson
12. CHN
13. Tolman

14. Elliott (he will be there)
15. RFM (spoke to him at the gym, he is hungry. Injury free in forna big year)
16. Stimson/Britt/????
17. Odgen/????
Will RFM be fit to start the season? If not then surely Ogden is a must. Thinking Elliott and Britt will take the other two forward spots with Holland then as the utility and cover for hooker. Stimson looks no where near fit enough to be near an NRL side lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I would rather tolman not even be in the team tbh.. but we all know he is one of the first players picked, so if he's going to be in the team I honestly believe 13 would be his best position.
I think we need him for the time being, he just needs to fuck off with his stat padding and just focus on quick play the balls and getting through a lot of work defensively. With Napa, To'omaga, Ogden, Britt, RFM...there's enough there to produce a decent amount of go forward through out the game, Pay just needs to tweak our interchange and not waste too many rotating our hooker or edge forwards.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Will RFM be fit to start the season? If not then surely Ogden is a must. Thinking Elliott and Britt will take the other two forward spots with Holland then as the utility and cover for hooker. Stimson looks no where near fit enough to be near an NRL side lol.
He wouldn't say. Only he is aiming to get back asap. The way he was training. He could play today lolll

I dont know about a back on the bench tbh. I know it makes sense. But tbh in the rare case a back or 9 goes down. Jacko or elliot can cover. Then again do we really need 4 fwds on the bench....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He wouldn't say. Only he is aiming to get back asap. The way he was training. He could play today lolll

I dont know about a back on the bench tbh. I know it makes sense. But tbh in the rare case a back or 9 goes down. Jacko or elliot can cover. Then again do we really need 4 fwds on the bench....
True. Holland will be there because he's our backup hooker and Pay will select him there lol. I'm undecided about the 4 forwards vs 3 forwards on the bench. I don't mind the cover the utility/back offers as players are constantly coming off with HIA's and other injuries so the cover is good, but if you lose a forward or two then you could find your self skinny.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman is a great team man and solid prop. While he is with us, and hopefully till retirement, he starts front row every game.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, none of both wakeham and cogger are really putting their hands up performance wise to displace Lewis.
None of those 2 have had any blinders or consistent MOM performances to justify taking his spot.
(Taking late last year into consideration as well)
Have i missed something?

92% efficiency as opposed to 88%.. big deal.

Name me one other half in the comp that is selected on the basis of his defense?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
8. To'omaga
10. Napa
13. Tolman

Think that would work for us during the season just like in the trial, defenitely more balanced and gives us a little more variety through the middle.
If To'omaga can handle the starting role and continues to improve then that would be massive for us.
Crapa isn't a starting prop.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate, none of both wakeham and cogger are really putting their hands up performance wise to displace Lewis.
None of those 2 have had any blinders or consistent MOM performances to justify taking his spot.
(Taking late last year into consideration as well)
Have i missed something?
Yes you clearly have missed something. The others, Wakeham and Cogger are natural halves. Lewis is a made up misfit.

If we keep adopting the same negative approach we have over the past 6 years, we will keep getting the same negative result. Picking a half based on his defensive ability is a negative approach.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a good article, its hard to expect alot from us this season but i do expect us to be trying harder from the start

the effort in the back end was was awesome but some of our early losses were embarrassing, i get that we'll lose more then we win because the attacking talent isn't there but if we can atleast grind out some wins early like we did late then who knows, confidence builds among the younger player and then they grow and anything can happen.

a couple of early thrashings like last year would be hard to take

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

lol if you mean Napa, he's been quite impressive in the trials, not that he was bad last year but obviously struggled a little with the extended minutes

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Early days, too early to say the finals are beyond the Dogs.
Some expert.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
His wage says otherwise. He defenitely looks fitter this season so I have little to complain about at this stage in regards to him and I'm looking forward to seeing if he can push on this season.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
lol if you mean Napa, he's been quite impressive in the trials, not that he was bad last year but obviously struggled a little with the extended minutes
He is the perfect bench prop ATM, like at the roosters. Short and sharp injections.

Maybe with Thompson coming in next year he could partner him in the front row?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
His wage says otherwise. He defenitely looks fitter this season so I have little to complain about at this stage in regards to him and I'm looking forward to seeing if he can push on this season.
I'm not complaining, just don't see him as a starting prop this year.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is the perfect bench prop ATM, like at the roosters. Short and sharp injections.

Maybe with Thompson coming in next year he could partner him in the front row?

I think if he continues to show performances like he has in the trials he could be a regular starter.. his motor appears to be a lot better and what excites me most is that he is looking to put hits (legally :D) on blokes.. yeah for sure mate, the two fire brands, that'd be a pretty solid duo!

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
CANTERBURY BULLDOGS
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak joined Canterbury in June of 2019, when the Bulldogs were absolutely terrible.

They were dead last on the ladder and were every fan’s pick for the wooden spoon. His first game was a dreary, 38-12 loss to the Roosters at the SCG in the rain. The once and future premiers rested a host of their rep stars and still won without breaking out of a walk.

It was the kind of existentially depressing loss wooden spoon seasons are made of, a loss from which there were no positives beyond the misery only lasting for 80 minutes – in real life, misery can stretch on forever, most of the time footy misery at least has a clock on it.

Nobody would have blinked if the Bulldogs laid down and just let the rest of the season happen. Just cop the losses, finish last, have a big summer and leave it all behind. That’s what bad teams do, and it’s what they’ve always done.

Watene-Zelezniak has been a great buy for Canterbury. AAP Image/Brendon Thorne.

But to their eternal credit, the Bulldogs refused to lie down. They won their next two, rose all the way to 15th, and Watene-Zelezniak said in an interview they could still make the finals. I laughed at him. You probably did as well. It wouldn’t have taken a miracle, it would have taken a string of miracles – think feeding the five thousand while walking on water that was turned to wine.

It was absurd, and it wasn’t possible, and in the end it couldn’t be done, but Watene-Zelezniak believed it and his teammates believed it and that’s more important than if some moron sportswriter believed it.

The Bulldogs won four in a row, never scoring more than 20 points, and they knocked off the finals-bound Rabbitohs and Eels. They faced the Broncos in the final round, with nothing to play for, and ran up their biggest score of the season, 30 points, that’s three zero, and Brisbane went on to the finals but Canterbury could be proud.

The Bulldogs could be proud of their efforts. Photo by Brett Hemmings/Getty Images.

Watene-Zelezniak typified why the Bulldogs won these games. The former Panther has spent plenty of time on the wing but fullback is his true position, and off the field he’s a friendly fella but on it he’s a glutton for punishment and for punishing. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is made for running the ball and running it hard, and every now and then he collects a kick, looks up at the defensive line and decides that the only thing to do is run as fast as he can for as long as he can until he hits something that’ll stop him.

That’s the spirit Dean Pay is building in these Bulldogs. They might not be winners, but they’re fighters. They can be outrun and outgunned, but if a team gets down in the gutter with them the Bulldogs will either beat them or rough them up trying. They played the Roosters again in that late season run, six weeks after the first meeting. The Roosters won again, 20-12 this time, but nobody got rested, and they weren’t walking through it this time.

Will desire be enough for the Bulldogs? Photo by Brett Hemmings/Getty Images.

Finals football might be a bit beyond the Bulldogs this year. Desire is as admirable a quality as one can find in a footy team, but it can only carry them so far. As badly as the Bulldogs want to win, and as much as they sacrifice to make it happen, it won’t turn them into the kind of star-studded roster other teams can boast. Last year they scored more than 20 points in a match just five times, and defending totals like that every week just isn’t sustainable.

The Bulldogs still need to upgrade at a couple of key positions to end what has become the second-longest premiership drought in the club’s history. But those premierships have to start somewhere, and they start when a team learns how to fight and keep fighting even when the cause looks hopeless because it is hopeless, and those starts can be anywhere, even on rainy days at the SCG in games they never looked like winning in the first place.

THE TEAM

From a personnel standpoint, the Bulldogs have a lot of the same issues as last year. It’s not that their forward pack is bad, it just lacks punch. Aiden Tolman will get through his tackles and make his runs every single week from now until the End Times, and it’s good to have somebody so reliable who is always there, but he’s not the kind of player who can be the foundation of a real, top class forward pack. If he’s your second-best middle you’d feel great, if he’s your best there might be some elements lacking.

Dylan Napa has the ability to be the kind of destructive, tackle-busting middle the Bulldogs are crying out for, and he finished last year very strongly, but the blue and whites need him to do that every week. He’s seven years into his career now, so maybe that’s just not in him, but if the Bulldogs are to defy the oddsmakers they need the red menace, and they need him all the time.

Dylan Napa was not all he could have been in 2019. Picture by Alix Sweeney.

Josh Jackson is still Josh Jackson, and that’s all that needs to be said, because the Bulldogs can always count on him and although Corey Harawira-Naera started slowly in 2019 by season’s end he was the Bulldogs best attacking weapon, and a real threat on the left edge. That combination with Will Hopoate and Reimis Smith is the best thing Canterbury have going for them in attack, and how it continues to develop will be something to watch. Hopoate deserves special mention – he’s never really gotten his speed back after his Mormon mission, but his wonderful hands, judicious offloading and top shelf footwork have turned him into one of the most underrated players in the game.

There might not be room for him out there, but Dean Britt playing on an edge in Canterbury’s first trial was a promising sign. The skilful Britt is tenacious in the middle, but I like him more when he’s a little bit wider. Getting minutes with Jackson and Harawira-Naera in front of him will be tough, but Britt is more than good enough should the Bulldogs need some relief.

Britt was a good get for Canterbury. Picture by Tim Hunter.

With Kieran Foran gone for much of the year, and given his injury history his future has to be in serious doubt, the Bulldogs need to land on something in the halves. There were things to like about each of Lachlan Lewis, Jack Cogger and Brandon Wakeham last year, but Pay needs to pick a pair and stick to it. Cogger in particular took some big steps forward – he was thrown into first grade far too early at the Knights and suffered for it, but he’s still got plenty of ability.

Canterbury’s main issue in 2020, as it was in 2019, is points, and where they will come from. Their backline is solid, but filled with finishers rather than creators. There will be heavy pressure on their halves from the jump to create – as much as I have sung Watene-Zelezniak’s praises, he is still developing as a ballplayer, and Jeremy Marshall-King is, again, more of a runner than a creator for others.

THE TIP: If the Bulldogs can stay in the mix for the top eight until the final weeks of the regular season that’s a good result. They’ll aim higher, without doubt, and they’ll believe they can make the finals, but if they do make it they’ll be overachieving. As hard as they fight, and as stirring as the end to last season was and as much as it may have given them hope for the future there’s still some ways to go before a trip back to the finals becomes a realistic proposition.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/41b23b23002b48bfe717e06d3462b605
Hard to argue with that review...

Xander

Waterboy
Reaction score
CANTERBURY BULLDOGS
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak joined Canterbury in June of 2019, when the Bulldogs were absolutely terrible.

They were dead last on the ladder and were every fan’s pick for the wooden spoon. His first game was a dreary, 38-12 loss to the Roosters at the SCG in the rain. The once and future premiers rested a host of their rep stars and still won without breaking out of a walk.

It was the kind of existentially depressing loss wooden spoon seasons are made of, a loss from which there were no positives beyond the misery only lasting for 80 minutes – in real life, misery can stretch on forever, most of the time footy misery at least has a clock on it.

Nobody would have blinked if the Bulldogs laid down and just let the rest of the season happen. Just cop the losses, finish last, have a big summer and leave it all behind. That’s what bad teams do, and it’s what they’ve always done.

Watene-Zelezniak has been a great buy for Canterbury. AAP Image/Brendon Thorne.

But to their eternal credit, the Bulldogs refused to lie down. They won their next two, rose all the way to 15th, and Watene-Zelezniak said in an interview they could still make the finals. I laughed at him. You probably did as well. It wouldn’t have taken a miracle, it would have taken a string of miracles – think feeding the five thousand while walking on water that was turned to wine.

It was absurd, and it wasn’t possible, and in the end it couldn’t be done, but Watene-Zelezniak believed it and his teammates believed it and that’s more important than if some moron sportswriter believed it.

The Bulldogs won four in a row, never scoring more than 20 points, and they knocked off the finals-bound Rabbitohs and Eels. They faced the Broncos in the final round, with nothing to play for, and ran up their biggest score of the season, 30 points, that’s three zero, and Brisbane went on to the finals but Canterbury could be proud.

The Bulldogs could be proud of their efforts. Photo by Brett Hemmings/Getty Images.

Watene-Zelezniak typified why the Bulldogs won these games. The former Panther has spent plenty of time on the wing but fullback is his true position, and off the field he’s a friendly fella but on it he’s a glutton for punishment and for punishing. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is made for running the ball and running it hard, and every now and then he collects a kick, looks up at the defensive line and decides that the only thing to do is run as fast as he can for as long as he can until he hits something that’ll stop him.

That’s the spirit Dean Pay is building in these Bulldogs. They might not be winners, but they’re fighters. They can be outrun and outgunned, but if a team gets down in the gutter with them the Bulldogs will either beat them or rough them up trying. They played the Roosters again in that late season run, six weeks after the first meeting. The Roosters won again, 20-12 this time, but nobody got rested, and they weren’t walking through it this time.

Will desire be enough for the Bulldogs? Photo by Brett Hemmings/Getty Images.

Finals football might be a bit beyond the Bulldogs this year. Desire is as admirable a quality as one can find in a footy team, but it can only carry them so far. As badly as the Bulldogs want to win, and as much as they sacrifice to make it happen, it won’t turn them into the kind of star-studded roster other teams can boast. Last year they scored more than 20 points in a match just five times, and defending totals like that every week just isn’t sustainable.

The Bulldogs still need to upgrade at a couple of key positions to end what has become the second-longest premiership drought in the club’s history. But those premierships have to start somewhere, and they start when a team learns how to fight and keep fighting even when the cause looks hopeless because it is hopeless, and those starts can be anywhere, even on rainy days at the SCG in games they never looked like winning in the first place.

THE TEAM

From a personnel standpoint, the Bulldogs have a lot of the same issues as last year. It’s not that their forward pack is bad, it just lacks punch. Aiden Tolman will get through his tackles and make his runs every single week from now until the End Times, and it’s good to have somebody so reliable who is always there, but he’s not the kind of player who can be the foundation of a real, top class forward pack. If he’s your second-best middle you’d feel great, if he’s your best there might be some elements lacking.

Dylan Napa has the ability to be the kind of destructive, tackle-busting middle the Bulldogs are crying out for, and he finished last year very strongly, but the blue and whites need him to do that every week. He’s seven years into his career now, so maybe that’s just not in him, but if the Bulldogs are to defy the oddsmakers they need the red menace, and they need him all the time.

Dylan Napa was not all he could have been in 2019. Picture by Alix Sweeney.

Josh Jackson is still Josh Jackson, and that’s all that needs to be said, because the Bulldogs can always count on him and although Corey Harawira-Naera started slowly in 2019 by season’s end he was the Bulldogs best attacking weapon, and a real threat on the left edge. That combination with Will Hopoate and Reimis Smith is the best thing Canterbury have going for them in attack, and how it continues to develop will be something to watch. Hopoate deserves special mention – he’s never really gotten his speed back after his Mormon mission, but his wonderful hands, judicious offloading and top shelf footwork have turned him into one of the most underrated players in the game.

There might not be room for him out there, but Dean Britt playing on an edge in Canterbury’s first trial was a promising sign. The skilful Britt is tenacious in the middle, but I like him more when he’s a little bit wider. Getting minutes with Jackson and Harawira-Naera in front of him will be tough, but Britt is more than good enough should the Bulldogs need some relief.

Britt was a good get for Canterbury. Picture by Tim Hunter.

With Kieran Foran gone for much of the year, and given his injury history his future has to be in serious doubt, the Bulldogs need to land on something in the halves. There were things to like about each of Lachlan Lewis, Jack Cogger and Brandon Wakeham last year, but Pay needs to pick a pair and stick to it. Cogger in particular took some big steps forward – he was thrown into first grade far too early at the Knights and suffered for it, but he’s still got plenty of ability.

Canterbury’s main issue in 2020, as it was in 2019, is points, and where they will come from. Their backline is solid, but filled with finishers rather than creators. There will be heavy pressure on their halves from the jump to create – as much as I have sung Watene-Zelezniak’s praises, he is still developing as a ballplayer, and Jeremy Marshall-King is, again, more of a runner than a creator for others.

THE TIP: If the Bulldogs can stay in the mix for the top eight until the final weeks of the regular season that’s a good result. They’ll aim higher, without doubt, and they’ll believe they can make the finals, but if they do make it they’ll be overachieving. As hard as they fight, and as stirring as the end to last season was and as much as it may have given them hope for the future there’s still some ways to go before a trip back to the finals becomes a realistic proposition.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/41b23b23002b48bfe717e06d3462b605

That's actually a really concise, on-point article and I agree with everything. DWZ is currently my favourite Doggies player and he's only been at the club for 5 minutes. I love the guy and I love his attitude, both on and off the field. The club should be built around characters like him, Jackson, Hopoate etc.