David Fifita turns down historic South Sydney Rabbitohs offer

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had to share this one because it's the best headline I've seen in a very long time.

David Fifita turns down historic South Sydney Rabbitohs offer

Broncos prodigy David Fifita reportedly turned down a lucrative South Sydney Rabbitohs offer that would have made him the highest paid forward in the NRL.

On Monday, it was reported that Fifita was offered a multi-year $5 million deal to join supercoach Wayne Bennett in Redfern, but it has now been revealed that figure was much higher than initially thought.

According to Newscorp, Fifita was actually tabled an extraordinary five-year deal worth around $1.2 million a season which would have made him the highest-paid forward in the NRL.

Retired Rabbitohs legend Sam Burgess reportedly met with Fifita, tasked with luring the forward to Redfern on one of the largest NRL deals ever.

It is understood Fifita, who turns 20 on Tuesday, politely declined Souths' lucrative offer suggesting it would take a miracle to see him defect from Red Hill.

The astronomical sum would have seen Fifita enter a select league of lucrative stars in the NRL earning over the coveted $1 million mark a season.

The only other forward who commands such a price tag is Cowboys wrecking ball Jason Taumalolo who is understood to be on 10-year deal worth around $1 million a season.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/david-...hs-offer/ed9244ae-31cb-41d3-b870-2e47c6cc00ae

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's banking on that titty money and his own titan personalised wooden spoon bobble head

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Rack city bitch..!!!!

A

Alexander the Great

The first issue is they sent Burgess. A fob and a pommy In discussion... would have been logical if they had translators for the meeting.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Recruitment Sucks. Sack the board. #bunnyboardout

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Was this on top of their other signings??

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If this has any truth to it, Bennett has really changed his tune regarding paying forwards huge money. Once upon a time he was quoted as saying that paying over 300k to any forward was a waste of money.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If this has any truth to it, Bennett has really changed his tune regarding paying forwards huge money. Once upon a time he was quoted as saying that paying over 300k to any forward was a waste of money.
I think any club or coach would make an exception for Fifita, he is a machine. Also I think because Wayne is retiring soon that he doesn't have the final say

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They went after the wrong Fafita as David's mother Gwen makes all his contract decisions. He does what she says.

Fifita: Mum will make decision on my footy future
David Fifita is the hottest young talent in rugby league but any club interested in gaining his services first needs the approval of his mum.

news.com.auOCTOBER 23, 201911:54AM

David Fifita and his mum, Gwen.Source:Instagram

David Fifita isn’t afraid to consider life on the South Coast of NSW — if his mum approves.

The Brisbane forward is among a cluster of NRL stars who have plenty of thinking to do when they enter the final year of their contracts next week.

Already considered worth $1 million a season, Fifita can begin officially fielding offers from rival clubs on November 1.

But any suitor should be focused on bending the ear of his mum, Gwen.

“I just worry about my footy and whatever my mum wants I will do because she is the one who has always been there and seen everything,” Fifita said.

“She will make the call — and she will make the right one for me. She will be the one that probably would make my decision. She does everything for me and whatever she says goes.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/f...e/news-story/d6307d6471d29896465304ed184d565e

We are the Family Club aren't we......Gwen let's talk :grinning:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They went after the wrong Fafita as David's mother Gwen makes all his contract decisions. He does what she says.

Fifita: Mum will make decision on my footy future
David Fifita is the hottest young talent in rugby league but any club interested in gaining his services first needs the approval of his mum.

news.com.auOCTOBER 23, 201911:54AM

David Fifita and his mum, Gwen.Source:Instagram

David Fifita isn’t afraid to consider life on the South Coast of NSW — if his mum approves.

The Brisbane forward is among a cluster of NRL stars who have plenty of thinking to do when they enter the final year of their contracts next week.

Already considered worth $1 million a season, Fifita can begin officially fielding offers from rival clubs on November 1.

But any suitor should be focused on bending the ear of his mum, Gwen.

“I just worry about my footy and whatever my mum wants I will do because she is the one who has always been there and seen everything,” Fifita said.

“She will make the call — and she will make the right one for me. She will be the one that probably would make my decision. She does everything for me and whatever she says goes.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/f...e/news-story/d6307d6471d29896465304ed184d565e

We are the Family Club aren't we......Gwen let's talk :grinning:

I hope he does stay at Brisbane tbh.. the game needs more loyal players

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope he does stay at Brisbane tbh.. the game needs more loyal players
While some players and fans alike would add and loyal clubs, but business is business and in the NRL it is all about winning Premierships, at least it should be.

Last edited:

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Needs his mummy to make decisions for him...:laughing: really dude.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Needs his mummy to make decisions for him...:laughing: really dude.
The Family Club and a player that loves and respects his mother sounds like a perfect fit......I hope our board thinks so also :grinning:

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Family Club and a player that loves and respects his mother sounds like a perfect fit......I hope our board thinks so also :grinning:
I get that, and no doubt discuss it with your mum but I wouldn't solely leave it up to my mum to make all my final decisions for me. In saying that I would love to have him at the Dogs if the opportunity came.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he decides to move to Sydney, I think we will be a big chance..we are of course the family club
I get that, and no doubt discuss it with your mum but I wouldn't solely leave it up to my mum to make all my final decisions for me. In saying that I would love to have him at the Dogs if the opportunity came.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Change of subject just quick, I didn’t want Joseph Leilua at the Doggs , but was just watching warriors v tigers trial replay, and he’s carving up. Good hands, speed , strength and always gets the pass/offload away... him an nofoaluma a are going to carve up down the right wing this year.

other side, warriors are useless and will struggle this year big time. They don’t have the team or the smarts to really do anything.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Change of subject just quick, I didn’t want Joseph Leilua at the Doggs , but was just watching warriors v tigers trial replay, and he’s carving up. Good hands, speed , strength and always gets the pass/offload away... him an nofoaluma a are going to carve up down the right wing this year.

other side, warriors are useless and will struggle this year big time. They don’t have the team or the smarts to really do anything.
From what Ive been told warriors only have 2 front rowers left that are healthy. All other are out injured for long time.