Opinion Where do the dogs sit in terms of fitness alone?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to say cause other factors play a part. I reckon we're physically fit enough for NRL but our clunky attack makes us look less fit than we are. Losing, especially by big scores against much better players, also makes you look unfit. We've also been mentally underdone at the start of the last 2 seasons, which makes us sluggish too.

Momentum will be our best friend in 2020 if we can find it - if we start well everyone will say we're fit as fuck, otherwise we wasted the off-season again..

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t doubt this at all but on top of this, certainly for Round 1 2019 was the emotion after the Christchurch massacre. I reckon most teams would’ve struggled to beat the Warriors in NZ that day.
I seem to recall the Des Eagles going over there a week or two later, Hasler did some special stuff, was really proactive with what they did over there, and they came away with the win. I wonder if behind the scenes Pay has taken any notes, as a coach you kinda have to experience a bit of that to start getting an idea how wider context can effect the result you are trying to get.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stimson and Katoa look in fine nick
There have been 6 or more players training with a well known personal trainer in the off season as they are not happy with conditioning regimes implemented by coaching staff.Hopefully that will allow them to start the season full of running.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I seem to recall the Des Eagles going over there a week or two later, Hasler did some special stuff, was really proactive with what they did over there, and they came away with the win. I wonder if behind the scenes Pay has taken any notes, as a coach you kinda have to experience a bit of that to start getting an idea how wider context can effect the result you are trying to get.
That’s true. And who knows if a week or so made any difference re: our result and Beagles result in NZ. But you’re right with the bigger picture stuff. Hopefully by now with Deano in his third year he’s always improving in all aspects. He certainly seems to have the pulse of our team as a whole, keeping the heads up in times of trouble is the key...

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it was a televison interview with Pay where he talked about how they had changed things this pre- season because they believed they trained too hard and reached a wall as you said just before the season started.

I remember thinking not even the Warriors could fuck this up after the terrible shooting in Christchurch. It would be like playing the Lakers the week after Kobe died, the home team has to come thru...

Just like winning was contagious at the end of last year, losing is the same so we must start with confidence and get "W's" any way we can, ugly, pretty or lucky I dont give a fuck as long as we win.
Lakers got thumped the next game at Staples ‘Kobe tribute’
Dame and the Blazers took them to task

The Warriors didn’t lean too much into the massacre to gain some sort of motivation
I was at the game and we were just piss poor handed it on a plate with little fight

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a big call Macca...

What is it that they don't like with the conditioning offered by the club?
Stimson and Katoa look in fine nick
There have been 6 or more players training with a well known personal trainer in the off season as they are not happy with conditioning regimes implemented by coaching staff.Hopefully that will allow them to start the season full of running.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lakers got thumped the next game at Staples ‘Kobe tribute’
Dame and the Blazers took them to task

The Warriors didn’t lean too much into the massacre to gain some sort of motivation
I was at the game and we were just piss poor handed it on a plate with little fight
Oh ok, I guess we are fucked then..

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a big call Macca...

What is it that they don't like with the conditioning offered by the club?
Players felt they were not having enough diversification between specific drills and fitness regime for particular positions,eg weights for forwards and speed and strength drills for backs so they have had extra training.Players coming back from injuries have done the same.
End of last year this was brought to Coach and staff attention by way of independent company conducting private survey as requested by board after players had made Hill aware at end of year discussions.Nothing has changed thus they do extras with private coach.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Players felt they were not having enough diversification between specific drills and fitness regime for particular positions,eg weights for forwards and speed and strength drills for backs so they have had extra training.Players coming back from injuries have done the same.
End of last year this was brought to Coach and staff attention by way of independent company conducting private survey as requested by board after players had made Hill aware at end of year discussions.Nothing has changed thus they do extras with private coach.
If this true.. it's very disappointing

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a thing called match fitness, and some teams take a while to get that sorted. Others peak too soon and run out of puff in the second half of the season.

A team has to enjoy what they're doing, and show no mercy to the sides they dominate. I haven't seen these attributes in our team in the early part of the season for a very long time; and I can't recall the last time I saw the latter at all.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it was a televison interview with Pay where he talked about how they had changed things this pre- season because they believed they trained too hard and reached a wall as you said just before the season started.

I remember thinking not even the Warriors could fuck this up after the terrible shooting in Christchurch. It would be like playing the Lakers the week after Kobe died, the home team has to come thru...

Just like winning was contagious at the end of last year, losing is the same so we must start with confidence and get "W's" any way we can, ugly, pretty or lucky I dont give a fuck as long as we win.
I think a lot of people don't realize the importance or relevance of sports psychology. It has such a massive impa t on performance, and to keep winning constantly is very difficult to do. Our team of the early 2000s was very good at this. With the addition of a few more top class players, I hope that pay can get us back to this point again.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Twin and Dinkum could you get onto this revelation please.

We need some inside information and/or further details and explanations on Big M's assertions.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Twin and Dinkum could you get onto this revelation please.

We need some inside information and/or further details and explanations on Big M's assertions.
Same bloke has also come out saying that the entire squad is unhappy and that there’s an apparent rift between Foran and Pay going on.

I know you’re quite gullible wendog but for everyone else, his posts should be taken with a grain of salt.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Same bloke has also come out saying that the entire squad is unhappy and that there’s an apparent rift between Foran and Pay going on.

I know you’re quite gullible wendog but for everyone else, his posts should be taken with a grain of salt.
He's also had good mail that was spot on about injuries before it's hit the media so as you say take it with a grain of salt but I wouldn't rule it out.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's also had good mail that was spot on about injuries before it's hit the media so as you say take it with a grain of salt but I wouldn't rule it out.

those injuries were hinted at on social media before he wrote about them on TK

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
those injuries were hinted at on social media before he wrote about them on TK
Fair enough our fitness has been terrible while Lobster and Harris have been here so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's true.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another thing that leads me to believing it is that I know a Sharks trainer and a certain player that changed clubs last year couldn't believe the difference in their pre-season to ours and as result he recorded his best results in 6 years.