News Canterbury Bulldogs coach Dean Pay enjoying life as a National Rugby League coach

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The problem is you don't seem to be able to acknowledge that he can make the right decisions, despite them actually being right, just because they don't agree with your opinion. An opinion which BTW is based on vastly less information than is available to the coaching staff.

Case in point, I bet you still don't agree with CHN being dropped, even though he himself several times has admitted that it was deserved and that it motivated him to higher achievements. Well?

Go Dogs
Well your first statement is incorrect, I literally agreed with his comments in an article only a few days ago. I was also happy with his decision to push To'omaga during the trial and get extend minutes out of him. But you know you guys always skim over those comments and focus almost solely on my comments where I'm against Pay and that eventually ends up dominating discussion.

And no I still don't entirely agree with it, but at the time is said why and that was because certain other individuals were doing the same mistakes yet were still being named week in week out.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem is you don't seem to be able to acknowledge that he can make the right decisions, despite them actually being right, just because they don't agree with your opinion. An opinion which BTW is based on vastly less information than is available to the coaching staff.

Case in point, I bet you still don't agree with CHN being dropped, even though he himself several times has admitted that it was deserved and that it motivated him to higher achievements. Well?

Go Dogs
No player will ever come out publicly and say the coach was wrong... only time that will happen if he has left the club or is leaving...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Well your first statement is incorrect, I literally agreed with his comments in an article only a few days ago. I was also happy with his decision to push To'omaga during the trial and get extend minutes out of him. But you know you guys always skim over those comments and focus almost solely on my comments where I'm against Pay and that eventually ends up dominating discussion.

And no I still don't entirely agree with it, but at the time is said why and that was because certain other individuals were doing the same mistakes yet were still being named week in week out.
Maybe it's just the shear weight of numbers, where the negative posts out number and out weigh the positive posts by many multiples. A decent proportion of comments without being judgemental (in the context of describing someone who rushes to judgement without reason) wouldn't hurt either.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No player will ever come out publicly and say the coach was wrong... only time that will happen if he has left the club or is leaving...
But they do have the option to say nothing or make some other non committal response. Neither of which was the case CHN, to his credit, owned up that it was of his own making, more than once.

Go Dogs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the shear weight of numbers, where the negative posts out number and out weigh the positive posts by many multiples. A decent proportion of comments without being judgemental (in the context of describing someone who rushes to judgement without reason) wouldn't hurt either.

Go Dogs
We've been shit for years, the fuck would you expect.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
But they do have the option to say nothing or make some other non committal response. Neither of which was the case CHN, to his credit, owned up that it was of his own making, more than once.

Go Dogs
They also have the option to pretend to agree with the coach that they were under preforming and have taken the coach's advice and will improve, because the coach is "always" right.... as he did...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
They also have the option to pretend to agree with the coach that they were under preforming and have taken the coach's advice and will improve, because the coach is "always" right.... as he did...
Have you met CHN? In person he strikes me as being very genuine, if he didn't believe it he wouldn't say it.

Go Dogs

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wakeham needs to be the first one picked in the halves.

We need to give him a string of games in the halves to see how he goes. He could be the guy we're waiting for. Played well in his limited time in first grade.

Lewis is not a half at all. I think lock is the only position for him or out of the team completely.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you met CHN? In person he strikes me as being very genuine, if he didn't believe it he wouldn't say it.

Go Dogs
The players are media trained to say the least controversial thing possible it's all business when they front the camera's. You're a tad naive if you take anything they say in a media conference to heart.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Not to mention that he was one of the form players of the back end of 2019 / has been very impressive over the Summer

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
basically the exact same stuff that was written leading in to last year eg carrying on from our stronger finish to the season, young guys now racked up ex amount of games etc etc...……. just hope we don't start like we did last year

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whilst we've had cap issues many of the current players have been signed or re-signed by Pay.
This still needs to come with an * though. Because up til now any signing or re-signing during Pay's tenure as coach has been subject to the restrictions brought about by the salary cap mess. Would the signing/re-signing decisions from 2018 on-wards have been different if there had been no mess? Absolutely. To be totally fair, signings and re-signings made for 2021 on-wards can be said to be unaffected by the salary cap mess. Thompson is so far our top signing free of the mess.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This still needs to come with an * though. Because up til now any signing or re-signing during Pay's tenure as coach has been subject to the restrictions brought about by the salary cap mess. Would the signing/re-signing decisions from 2018 on-wards have been different if there had been no mess? Absolutely. To be totally fair, signings and re-signings made for 2021 on-wards can be said to be unaffected by the salary cap mess. Thompson is so far our top signing free of the mess.
I agree with you to an extent but even the low $ signings, are they the best they could have been. Players like Crichton and similar. I know we need depth but were they the best available for the money but what's done is done.

Ive had a brief look at players available for 21 and there's nothing super in the list, not saying there's nothing but I don't think we're going to have a whole heap of marquee signings. I know things do change and players who are not off contract can become available.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to hear Pay mention attack in one of his interviews for once. Our defence was one of the best in the comp towards the end of last year yet it's all he talks about.

Meanwhile they've been one of the worst attacking teams in the two years under Pay. I know what needs more improvement and unless the attack improves, the team won't..

You can't defend much better than they did late last year. But a 14 point per game average for the season is a concern and needs to be improved upon for the team to make the finals and reach their potential.
Attack will never be a real option if Georgallis is involved.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Yes i have met him. Seemed like a great guy. (In no way i am saying he isnt a good guy) But, you will never know the real CHN. It could all be an act in front of the fans etc...

Only person that will know what CHN thought of his demotion would be CHN himself.... and there is no-way he would ever bad mouth his coach in public. No player likes being dropped esp when the entire team was under performing and only you get to be made an example of.

As Spoonman said.... it is all business in front of the camera's and, if us fans believe word for word what the players say in front of the camera's, then we are all very naive.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Do you mean “game form” that we fans see or “total form” that most of which only the coaching staff see?

Not sure what you mean by “gut”, is that where a player is dropped because they turn up to training late, almost every time, with no reason. Or is it where a player turns up to training drunk and/or severely hung over? Or maybe where a player misses his agreed fitness targets and/or weight targets, such that he can’t play the minutes the team needs him to play? Or maybe where the Physio team has set a routine that the player needs to follow in his injury recovery and he ignores them and doesn’t do it?

If that’s what you mean by “gut” then I’m all for it.

Go Dogs
What I meant is pay seemed to go into the season with a pre determined team in his head. I don't know if that was training form because they played 1 trial. But reality was the team he picked got hammered and he than went on a chop n change theme for a while before he settled. Hopefully this year with the 2 trials he picks on what looks right not what he thought he wanted to see. Seems like Lewis n cogger were the fav for 6n7 but if Wakeham looks good than I hope he makes the call. Same with Ogden or RT. If they look in form and out playing Tolman or napa than bench or Reggie's for them. I think we will have good wins and some bad loses but all in all we are building a good crop of young players. The names/ pieces will come

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think we will have good wins and some bad loses but all in all we are building a good crop of young players. The names/ pieces will come
This is going to be key if we are going to get back to the main dance. Some big names would be good, and hopefully Thompson will be one of those, but we still need a good group of Joe Firstgraders who are fit, happy, experienced, and committed to the cause. It takes effort and time to get that, but reckon there will be quite a few in the crop of players coming through.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to hear Pay mention attack in one of his interviews for once. Our defence was one of the best in the comp towards the end of last year yet it's all he talks about.

Meanwhile they've been one of the worst attacking teams in the two years under Pay. I know what needs more improvement and unless the attack improves, the team won't..

You can't defend much better than they did late last year. But a 14 point per game average for the season is a concern and needs to be improved upon for the team to make the finals and reach their potential.
Exactly what was going to say.
Thats all we hear from Pay that we're working hard on defence.
I get that defence is important but faaark we need to score points.
Boring bloody football!
How about bringing some excitement back for the fans and win some memberships back for the club..