Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, I’m fucking furious and have (maybe had) a couple of trips booked too grrrrr. I feel so bad for the people that have died but if the virus started the way we are told those responsible can burn in hell
Still booked in from April I'm pretty much fucked for a refund unless gov.issues a no go notice

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Still booked in from April I'm pretty much fucked for a refund unless gov.issues a no go notice
It’s not looking good isn’t it.
We were the first to declare a pandemic though so that might be a good sign in that sense. We’ve canned Italy but still planning to go the U.S the month after. Good luck mate

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who are you flying with @south of heaven ?
I cancelled Thailand trip a couple weeks back with Singapore Airlines .. no travel ban. SIA allowed ticket to be open and applied to future travel.
Understand you probably don't want to cancel, but worth calling the airline to see if they can be flexible.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cancelled Thailand trip a couple weeks back with Singapore Airlines .. no travel ban. SIA allowed ticket to be open and applied to future travel.
Understand you probably don't want to cancel, but worth calling the airline to see if they can be flexible.
Ana all through travel agent going down there lunchtime to get a plan b just incase

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pope ill after giving support to Covid19 sufferers. Wow, if he died the proverbial would really hit the round spinning thing.

But he the pope, can't he, you know, "save yourself!"

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s not looking good isn’t it.
We were the first to declare a pandemic though so that might be a good sign in that sense. We’ve canned Italy but still planning to go the U.S the month after. Good luck mate
I'm hoping it will if peaked and dropped by then Japan having the Olympics riding on it will doing whatever they can fingers crossed .now it's fully global the next 30 days will give a good indication how bad it really is

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My better half and I had big plans to take our teenage daughter to Europe this year, before she hits HSC years. Have saved for a couple of years for this trip. Looks like we might have to scrap it, not just because of infection risks, but also if the economy has a 2008 moment like people are saying it will, better to have some spare funds.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi @Lov_Dog ..I don’t think I have actually spoken to you directly on the Kennel..Nonetheless, I gather from reading you are into Scientific work.. Therefore I was wondering if you could give your view on this..if you don’t mind please.. :blush:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...al-of-gilead-coronavirus-drug-remdesivir.html

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ciences-coronavirus-who-remdesivir/index.html

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pope ill after giving support to Covid19 sufferers. Wow, if he died the proverbial would really hit the round spinning thing.

But he the pope, can't he, you know, "save yourself!"
Physician, heal thyself.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Vatican officially put a ban on molesting alter boys for 14 days to help contain and stop spread of the coronavirus, looks like the pope ignored the email
I thought long about my response to this.. All I could come up with was.. Bahahaha bahahaha bahahaha bahahaha bahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
If you look at the numbers:

roughly one, one thousandth of a percent of the worlds population has contracted the virus.

and

one 36,000th of a percent of the worlds population have died from it

The odds of someone in Australia catching it in Australia is next to zero (currently)

The odds of someone in Australia travelling to any country (other than China) and catching it is also ridiculously small. Possibly to the point that you have more chance of winning Lotto next week than catching Coronavirus.

This entire thing is completely over sold by the media and the stock market has dived off the back of it.

If anyone is looking for some easy money, today is probably a very good point in time to buy into some stocks on the ASX. If not today then definitely next week.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw this on 9gag, and no idea why I laughed as much as i did:

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi @Lov_Dog ..I don’t think I have actually spoken to you directly on the Kennel..Nonetheless, I gather from reading you are into Scientific work.. Therefore I was wondering if you could give your view on this..if you don’t mind please.. :blush:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...al-of-gilead-coronavirus-drug-remdesivir.html

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...ciences-coronavirus-who-remdesivir/index.html
Hi @Mr 95% !
[disclaimer] My work isn't infectious disease ..
Sorry can't open first article with my ad blocker.

Second article:
my thoughts .. discussion around a drug that treats symptoms; to be honest any pneumonia drug would fit this category.
enrolment in a clinical trial would be very strict as the outcomes are significantly different for mild v's severe cases of covid19 (this has ethical considerations), especially since the drug is investigating a quasi-off-target.
I think what folks would be more interested in would be a "flu-shot" style remedy for covid19, if so, likely years away from implementation.

Not sure if the first article touched on it, but I would consider agents that block reverse-transcriptase (RT) activity .. perhaps this is what Gilead's drug is doing? But second article was not so obvious.

Allow me to refer you to research articles, rather than news about them.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi @Mr 95% !
[disclaimer] My work isn't infectious disease ..
Sorry can't open first article with my ad blocker.

Second article:
my thoughts .. discussion around a drug that treats symptoms; to be honest any pneumonia drug would fit this category.
enrolment in a clinical trial would be very strict as the outcomes are significantly different for mild v's severe cases of covid19 (this has ethical considerations), especially since the drug is investigating a quasi-off-target.
I think what folks would be more interested in would be a "flu-shot" style remedy for covid19, if so, likely years away from implementation.

Not sure if the first article touched on it, but I would consider agents that block reverse-transcriptase (RT) activity .. perhaps this is what Gilead's drug is doing? But second article was not so obvious.

Allow me to refer you to research articles, rather than news about them.
@Mr 95%, try these two:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41587-020-00003-1

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0290-0

strongly suggest research papers (or peer-reviewed reviews of research papers) published in reputable journals.
Unnecessary for every word to be understood, however, the abstract, introduction, discussion/conclusion sections should be interpretable by most.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
@Mr 95%, try these two:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41587-020-00003-1

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0290-0

strongly suggest research papers (or peer-reviewed reviews of research papers) published in reputable journals.
Unnecessary for every word to be understood, however, the abstract, introduction, discussion/conclusion sections should be interpretable by most.
Thank you..much appreciated.. :blush: Here is the first article.. You are right about research papers rather than ‘articles’.. Actually, just a side point..there is an extremely promising treatment for Spinal Cord Injury..I bypassed the paper and contacted the Scientist..nice guy..he sent me a paper completed by an independent lab in Germany confirming his findings..it’s been verified on other labs too. Silver has been working for 30 years towards a cure..won the prestigious Christopher Reeve medal for his contribution to furthering advancements towards a cure.. If you are interested checkout Dr. Jerry Silver and NervGen Pharma..https://www.nervgen.com/

HEALTH AND SCIENCE
US plans trial of Gilead coronavirus drug remdesivir
PUBLISHED TUE, FEB 25 20208:44 AM ESTUPDATED TUE, FEB 25 20209:44 AM EST

Meg Tirrell@MEGTIRRELL

KEY POINTS
  • The U.S. is planning a clinical trial of Gilead’s experimental drug for the novel coronavirus, according to a posting on a government clinical trials database.
  • The trial will be run by the University of Nebraska Medical Center along with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and will be conducted at up to 50 sites globally.
  • The trial will test the medicine, called remdesivir, against placebo, according to the protocol, which was posted Friday.

A scientist at Gilead Sciences analyzes patient antibody levels at the Gilead laboratory in Foster City, Calif.
David Paul Morris | Bloomberg | Getty Images
The U.S. is planning a clinical trial of Gilead’s experimental drug for the novel coronavirus, according to a posting on a government clinical trials database.

The trial, run by the University of Nebraska Medical Center along with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, will be conducted at up to 50 sites globally, and will test the medicine, called remdesivir, against placebo, according to the protocol. At the time of the post on Friday, the trial was not yet recruiting patients.

A World Health Organization doctor, Bruce Aylward, said Monday after a tour through China that Gilead’s medicine is the only one that appears to have promise against COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. It’s being tested in two trials in Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak, though Aylward noted slow enrollment in those studies because of declining patient numbers and trials of other medicines also being conducted.

“We have got to start prioritizing enrollment into those things that may save lives and save them faster,” Aylward said at a press briefing Monday in China. “And that’s a global issue, not China, it’s a global issue.”

Gilead’s shares rose 4.6% Monday but were down more than 1% in early trading Tuesday. The stock, which has a market value of about $92 billion, has gained nearly 11% over the past year.

Gilead referred a request for comment to the NIAID, which didn’t immediately respond. A spokesman for the University of Nebraska Medical Center said he was unable to comment until information is publicly released.

Gilead is among a dozen companies in the race to develop treatments, vaccines and diagnostic tests for the novel coronavirus. Monday, biotech company Moderna said it had shipped the first batch of its potential vaccine to the NIAID to start human trials, sending its stock up 16 percent Tuesday.

Remdesivir is an experimental antiviral drug that has shown some promise against other coronaviruses that cause SARS and MERS, but it hasn’t been tested in humans with coronaviruses. It was tested in people with Ebola — which is caused by a different kind of virus — and was unsuccessful.

The medicine was also used to treat the first U.S. patient with the novel coronavirus, according to a case study published last month in the New England Journal of Medicine. The patient appeared to improve the next day, but researchers note one patient’s experience is not enough to determine whether the medicine works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.