Opinion Where do the dogs sit in terms of fitness alone?

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've been watching pre-season videos on youtube of the panthers and Warriors.
Are most teams in the NRL equal when it comes to fitness?
Craig Bellamy is supposed to provide a very tough pre season for the Storm.
Joe Stimson said that pre-season has been different at the dogs compared to the Storm.
He said the bulldogs have done more endurance based training, whereas the storm are more into power and sprints.

So, I posted this because I'm wondering if anyone knows which are the fittest teams in the NRL

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Hard to tell. Stimson looks overweight though.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Pretty su
Hard to tell. Stimson looks overweight though.
Pretty sure he’s around the same weight as he was at storm.
Well that’s what his player profile at both clubs say

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
lighter outfit can make you look bigger

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They not looking to bad, game 1 an 2 will give a fairly good indication though.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Even though we finished strongly last week, it's hard to tell with so many interchanges, if that meant we were fit

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't even know how you measure the relative fitness levels of each club without games to watch or any recorded data on how they're performing in fitness drills. It's something that will need a few rounds of football to become apparent.

Reactions: DT

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've been watching pre-season videos on youtube of the panthers and Warriors.
Are most teams in the NRL equal when it comes to fitness?
Craig Bellamy is supposed to provide a very tough pre season for the Storm.
Joe Stimson said that pre-season has been different at the dogs compared to the Storm.
He said the bulldogs have done more endurance based training, whereas the storm are more into power and sprints.
If I had to choose I would go with Bellamys training regimen over Pays training program..

He has proven himself to be an ok coach that Bellamy guy..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'll probably have to wait until the early rounds to judge fitness but while Grimaldi and Harry Harris are still here I can't see it being much different to the past couple of years.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If I had to choose I would go with Bellamys training regimen over Pays training program..
You do know that Pay has had first hand experience of Bellamy's training and coaching while he was the coach of the U20's Melbourne team.

Go Dogs

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You do know that Pay has had first hand experience of Bellamy's training and coaching while he was the coach of the U20's Melbourne team.

Go Dogs
We did look out of puff early rounds last few years..

Go Dogs

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Bellyache has always worked with seasoned NRL players, not rookies... wonder how Melbourne would have looked last year if half of their squad was made up of C Cup players

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We did look out of puff early rounds last few years.
I read and/or heard an interview where someone said that they all (players and coaching staff) felt like they hit the mental wall about 2 weeks out from the season starting last year. I wish I could find it again, but it has eluded me so far. If that's true then it goes someway to explaining the poor start to the season. It's one of the things players learn through experience, how to get through the hard slog of preseason without mental fatigue affecting them. This year they all have a lot more experience and hopefully they (players and coaching staff) have learnt how to keep it fresh. We will soon see.

Go Dogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I read and/or heard an interview where someone said that they all (players and coaching staff) felt like they hit the mental wall about 2 weeks out from the season starting last year. I wish I could find it again, but it has eluded me so far. If that's true then it goes someway to explaining the poor start to the season. It's one of the things players learn through experience, how to get through the hard slog of preseason without mental fatigue affecting them. This year they all have a lot more experience and hopefully they (players and coaching staff) have learnt how to keep it fresh. We will soon see.

Go Dogs
At the time I remember thinking it looked more mental than physical. As a squad they didn't look any where near right mentally until the Melbourne game.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

With the amount of stoppages currently in the game, without doubt, Bellamy's approach is the right one.. if the referee's allowed the game to flow better, than pays way would be correct.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
At the time I remember thinking it looked more mental than physical. As a squad they didn't look any where near right mentally until the Melbourne game.
I agree and put a lot down to mental fatigue predominantly due to age, inexperience and lack of confidence. The change was noticeable as the season progressed

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Go Dogs
I don’t doubt this at all but on top of this, certainly for Round 1 2019 was the emotion after the Christchurch massacre. I reckon most teams would’ve struggled to beat the Warriors in NZ that day.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Really enjoyed that game, the dogs really lifted the tempo in that game and they played what they saw, instinct footy and all the passes stuck and players were in right positions. That game and the game vs parramatta towards the end of the season at bankwest were my favourite games of 2019.
I want to watch a game at bankwest, the atmosphere there is pretty good.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Go Dogs
I am pretty sure it was a televison interview with Pay where he talked about how they had changed things this pre- season because they believed they trained too hard and reached a wall as you said just before the season started.

I don’t doubt this at all but on top of this, certainly for Round 1 2019 was the emotion after the Christchurch massacre. I reckon most teams would’ve struggled to beat the Warriors in NZ that day.
I remember thinking not even the Warriors could fuck this up after the terrible shooting in Christchurch. It would be like playing the Lakers the week after Kobe died, the home team has to come thru...

Just like winning was contagious at the end of last year, losing is the same so we must start with confidence and get "W's" any way we can, ugly, pretty or lucky I dont give a fuck as long as we win.