2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs: 2020 NRL season preview
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 26 Feb 2020, 08:01 AM

Bulldogs fans were bracing themselves for a tough 2019 before round one and it was panning out that way before another late form spike offered a glimmer of hope.
But yet another long-term injury to star half Kieran Foran – who looked to be getting back to his football when on the field in 2019 – means 2020 is off to a rocky start.
The club will be hoping the significant improvement made by certain players and in certain areas last season results in a stronger campaign - and more early-season wins.
The club has made a couple of useful signings to bolster the forwards but otherwise will have to rely on its 2019 stocks to generate points.

The 2020 outlook

What's new
Back-rower Joe Stimson has joined from Melbourne while Dean Britt has moved across from the Bunnies to the club where his dad became a legend. Utility forward Sione Katoa has moved across from the Panthers and can play a role at hooker if required behind Jeremy Marshall-King.

The draw
After a round one blockbuster against the Eels, the Dogs have three winnable games against the Cowboys, Wests Tigers and Sharks, with two of those at ANZ Stadium. They also finish the season with a potentially gentle run against the Dragons, Panthers, Tigers and Knights.
They face the best three sides of 2019 (the Roosters, Raiders and Storm) just once each so there are no excuses about a tough draw.

The stat that gives you hope
5-1, and 98-65.
That is Canterbury's win-loss record and for-and-against record over the final six rounds of the 2019 regular season. Their differential of +33 was sixth-best for that period but most encouragingly their 65 points conceded was just a point away from pace-setters the Roosters (64) for best the defence. A competition ladder for just those six rounds would feature Canterbury in third.
And yes, if you're a Bulldogs fan, you've heard this story before. The club had the fourth-best differential and third-best defence for the final six rounds of 2018 as they won four of their final six. Dean Pay and his men will be aiming to tap that momentum a little better this time around.

What you need to know NRL Fantasy-wise
"Will Hopoate ($621k) could be the highest-scoring centre in Fantasy this year and is also available at winger/fullback, but he doesn't come cheap. New recruit Joe Stimson ($390k) is a steal if he secures a starting spot, and Jeremy Marshall-King ($544k) could jump in value by around $150k if he gets at least 60 minutes a game at hooker – a role which traditionally nets him 47 points a game." - Lone Scout

The coach
Pay has done a reasonable job given the salary cap mess he inherited, with the club making some astute value signings and bringing through some talented youngsters. Pay's contract was extended for an extra year in early 2019, taking him through to the end of 2020. That means the coming season is a contract season for Pay and if the club is coming last halfway through the season – as they were in 2019 – he may struggle for another extension.

Contract matters
A good chunk of Canterbury's top side are locked in through to the end of 2021, with inspirational skipper Josh Jackson last season inking a long deal through 2023. The club also has impressive England prop Luke Thompson inbound for 2021 on a three-year deal. Notable off-contract players this year (at this stage) include Aiden Tolman, Sauaso Sue, Marcelo Montoya, Jack Cogger, Adam Elliott and Raymond Faitala-Mariner.

The biggest off-contract name is Kieran Foran. In the final year of his three-year deal and still just 29, Foran is aiming to return from major shoulder surgery in the mid-late season. It's been a frustrating 24 months with injury for the Kiwi star, not least because his form has been so good when he has got on the field.

The burning question
Can Lachlan Lewis, Jack Cogger and Brandon Wakeham fill the Foran-sized hole? Each is talented but Cogger's 36 games makes him the most experienced of the young trio. It can be a long and gruelling season as a young playmaker if things don't go your way early.

Breakout player to watch
Talented young Kiwi Morgan Harper made his NRL debut in the round 25 win over Brisbane. Still just 21, the skilful centre starred in the club's 2018 reserve grade grand final win over Newtown, winning the subsequent state championship match against Redcliffe.

The quote
"We have just been working really hard through the off-season, we are just trying to build on what we finished off on last year. This year is a new season, we have got a few new players and we are just trying to build some continuity in these trials and getting ready for round 1." – Dean Pay

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Just listened to the Podcast version of this - Chris Kennedy and (ugh) Jamie Soward.

Soward:

- 2019 was a wasted season on the talent that 'should've developed better'.
- 2020 'have recruited OK - could've gone harder for outside backs'. Suggested Mitchell alone would 'propel this team into the 8 but of course wasn't to be'.
- Wouldn't name best halves combo but says Wakeham will be among the breakout stars of 2020.
- Our forwards can compete 'if we get the mix right'. Jacko should be in the middle at #13, let him tackle and be a distributor - allowing guys like Stimson, Britt, CHN on the edge to go to work'.
- A little undersized re: Big Boppers, but can now use Ogden, To'omaga, Sue to start. Use Tolman off the bench to play 60min.
- JMK first choice 9, needs to be careful of his work rate in defence. Rates Katoa if he's fit and focussed, but can get distracted. Best that both players 'job share'.
- DWZ is a good set starter, needs to develop a little more finesse to take pressure off the halves.

Summary: 'Gritty team but inconsistent. Don't see them making the 8 in 2020, but 2021 they have the opportunity to be right back in the frame'. (interesting comment given a ball hasn't been kicked yet and apart from Thompson 2021 team still far from finalised).
Prediction: Dogs to finish 13th (I would LOVE to prove this bloke wrong - just sayin').

Kennedy:

- Suggests JMK can play 60min, Katoa 40min and where not at 9, Katoa can provide relief elsewhere including if Jacko needs a spell.
- Probably needed Jacko on the edge in the past, but can use him either way now given depth and flexibility in the pack.
- Credits Pay for decent roster management with cap challenges, but says getting out of the blocks decently is important to keep the wolves at the door regarding Pay's future.

No summary or prediction from Kennedy.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The draw is pretty favourable for us, Pay needs to field the best team and we are every chance of making the 8.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It is also important not to overlook this key fact:

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just listened to the Podcast version of this - Chris Kennedy and (ugh) Jamie Soward.

Soward:

- 2019 was a wasted season on the talent that 'should've developed better'.
- 2020 'have recruited OK - could've gone harder for outside backs'. Suggested Mitchell alone would 'propel this team into the 8 but of course wasn't to be'.
- Wouldn't name best halves combo but says Wakeham will be among the breakout stars of 2020.
- Our forwards can compete 'if we get the mix right'. Jacko should be in the middle at #13, let him tackle and be a distributor - allowing guys like Stimson, Britt, CHN on the edge to go to work'.
- A little undersized re: Big Boppers, but can now use Ogden, To'omaga, Sue to start. Use Tolman off the bench to play 60min.
- JMK first choice 9, needs to be careful of his work rate in defence. Rates Katoa if he's fit and focussed, but can get distracted. Best that both players 'job share'.
- DWZ is a good set starter, needs to develop a little more finesse to take pressure off the halves.

Summary: 'Gritty team but inconsistent. Don't see them making the 8 in 2020, but 2021 they have the opportunity to be right back in the frame'. (interesting comment given a ball hasn't been kicked yet and apart from Thompson 2021 team still far from finalised).
Prediction: Dogs to finish 13th (I would LOVE to prove this bloke wrong - just sayin').

Kennedy:

- Suggests JMK can play 60min, Katoa 40min and where not at 9, Katoa can provide relief elsewhere including if Jacko needs a spell.
- Probably needed Jacko on the edge in the past, but can use him either way now given depth and flexibility in the pack.
- Credits Pay for decent roster management with cap challenges, but says getting out of the blocks decently is important to keep the wolves at the door regarding Pay's future.

No summary or prediction from Kennedy.
Who's Chris Kennedy,and who really cares of his opinion,and that's all it is 1 person's opinion,he gives no prediction because,he's got no idea

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Who's Chris Kennedy,and who really cares of his opinion,and that's all it is 1 person's opinion,he gives no prediction because,he's got no idea
To be fair, Kennedy is a journo - writer and host. It’s why Soward does most of the talking on this Pod. He’s the ‘expert’.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair, Kennedy is a journo - writer and host. It’s why Soward does most of the talking on this Pod. He’s the ‘expert’.
Oldie, but always applicable to the Milkman;
X = unknown
Spurt = drip under pressure
Soward = the unknown drip under pressure.

Go Dogs

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we're about to see the To'Omaga and Ogden combination that we witnessed in the ISP 2018 reproduced in FG.. both have looked good over the Summer, especially Renouf!

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not many people are giving the dogs much of a chance this year. I genuinely believe we'll make the top 8.
I like our side, the balance is okay, we've also got a team of hard workers, I don't sense a lot of egos in this team.
There's a few talented players who will have more of a breakout season.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we're about to see the To'Omaga and Ogden combination that we witnessed in the ISP 2018 reproduced in FG.. both have looked good over the Summer, especially Renouf!
To'omaga I agree. He looked the fittest player to me last weekend and showed a really good motor in the heat. I really don't know about Ogden. He got a couple of chances last year but didn't do much -he looks like he gets a couple of good runs in then knocks up. A few posters who see a bit more Canterbury Cup seem to rate what he did there so hopefully he can be a decent contributor.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
To'omaga I agree. He looked the fittest player to me last weekend and showed a really good motor in the heat. I really don't know about Ogden. He got a couple of chances last year but didn't do much -he looks like he gets a couple of good runs in then knocks up. A few posters who see a bit more Canterbury Cup seem to rate what he did there so hopefully he can be a decent contributor.

Renouf came home strong last year and had big impact off the bench.. and you're right he looked very fit and ready for a big season... I thought Ogden had a decent season last year but you are right again.. I've seen a few things from him over the Summer that suggest that he's ready to be a leader in the pack but we will find out when the season starts... would be so good if those guys could dominate like they did in the ISP.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really hope Ogden is in the team, think he's a good forward with a lot of potential. He just has to do the little things right, especially quick play the balls.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Ogden got as many minutes and chances as Elliot does and continues to get then Ogden would have been a major player in our forwards but unfortunately Pay hasn't given him proper opportunities to showcase what he can offer

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Ogden got as many minutes and chances as Elliot does and continues to get then Ogden would have been a major player in our forwards but unfortunately Pay hasn't given him proper opportunities to showcase what he can offer
Yeh hopefully he doesn't miss a game. I like him as a bench player

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The fact is Ogden was given chances, opportunities and failed to achieve his fitness targets, benchmarks that he had established himself and then signed off with the coaching staff. Once he put himself back on track he was both eligible and, more importantly, fit enough to be selected. That’s the team buy in expected of every player.

Go Dogs

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bench will most likely be katoa Stimson and to omaga.
Last spot up for grabs can go Ogden sue britt. I can’t make up my mind which one I’d rather. Best form gets it I hope.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The expert lol picks Parra to take out the minor premiership

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Bench will most likely be katoa Stimson and to omaga.
Last spot up for grabs can go Ogden sue britt. I can’t make up my mind which one I’d rather. Best form gets it I hope.
So Tolman, Napa and Elliott starting in the middle. Typical lol.