News ‘Don’t pay overs’: Paul Gallen hits back at Dean Pay over Kieran Foran salary cap relief

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think everybody needs to take their bulldogs goggles off for this one.

Personally I don't mind Gallen tbh. He's a straight shooter and has backed the dogs on plenty of occasions, not this one so much and that's probably because its an intelligent opinion because there could be a massive consequence to higher compo rates.

Say if clubs do get higher compensation rates in regards to injuries what's going to stop clubs paying even higher overs for rep players when they know compensation rates are high? It will put plenty of stress on clubs salary caps.

As Gallen said you always run the risk with buying rep players and paying high rates.

Like I said above if anything he will receive some backlash from current players because he is talking about their pockets... Should have kept his mouth shut on this occasion I reckon.
It's not about paying overs. Forget about Foran and say for example a player like Thurston, clubs won't be paying overs for him but the market dictates that he gets paid 1 million plus. When he goes down in a rep game whether it be All stars, Origin or Australia, its unfair to only be compensated with 350 for a million dollar player.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point is, if a true superstar like Teddy tore his ACL and the Roosters wanted 800k or whatever he's on for compensation, Gallen would be protesting on behalf of the Roosters that they should be covered for his full salary. And rightly so.

Just because Foran is washed up and is massively overpaid, it doesn't mean the rule doesn't need fixing and Hill shouldn't be pointing out how flawed the rule is.

As others have said, Cronulla have overpaid half their squad on deals as bad as Foran's..

If Johnson was injured for the Kiwis you can bet he'd want his full salary paid for and wouldn't mention how overpaid he, Woods and Moylan etc are..
He has come out with a blanket statement regarding NRL policies in particular the 350 K

I personally don’t agree with that figure but it’s the same rule for everybody at the moment
Not the sharpest tool in the shed old mate

Last edited:

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was sharks Gallen would be singing another tune, he almost talks as much shit as Mundine

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think everybody needs to take their bulldogs goggles off for this one.

Personally I don't mind Gallen tbh. He's a straight shooter and has backed the dogs on plenty of occasions, not this one so much and that's probably because its an intelligent opinion because there could be a massive consequence to higher compo rates.

Say if clubs do get higher compensation rates in regards to injuries what's going to stop clubs paying even higher overs for rep players when they know compensation rates are high? It will put plenty of stress on clubs salary caps.

As Gallen said you always run the risk with buying rep players and paying high rates.

Like I said above if anything he will receive some backlash from current players because he is talking about their pockets... Should have kept his mouth shut on this occasion I reckon.

There is no compensation paid to clubs and the contract needs to be still paid out however what Pay is asking for is slarary cap relief to be able to buy a player of the same value.
What happens now is clubs who spend the cap for the year then lose a player during a rep game they can go out a buy a replacement but can only up to a max of $350k no matter who is injured.

so if we only lost chris smith this year we could have got salary cap relief to replace him by either buying someone or upgrading a development player to the top 30

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Isn't that inbred bogan **** the record holder of the biggest loser in league ever?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Gallen is showing why Forwards should generally keep their mouths shut. Although he is somewhat right about paying "overs" his example in Foran is just a coincidence, Foran was given a golden handshake by his previous Coach and if in any other industry would probably be considered fraud and criminal. Back to paying players "overs" and the part where he should just shut up. The NRL playing pool is most likely at the weakest in regards to talent then it ever has been. There's not enough genuine talent for the amount of teams we have. Add this to a rather high salary cap, mix in that the players have all the power and it's a bad recipe.

What we have is average players getting paid way more then their talent offers (Ash Taylor, Shaun Johnson and a 100 more). The NRL allows some clubs to stockpile all the talent, enough to fill 2 teams while the gap gets bigger for the other clubs trying to compete. When a marquee player or an unproven "next big thing" comes along the bottom feeders are forced to throw stupid money at them in order to try and become competitive. We have already seen many times over 10% of a club's salary cap being thrown to just one player. Most of the time it seems to fail for the club. So Gallen's comment of simply stop paying over's is just a stupid comment from someone who was hit a million times past the no return mark. Add in his peptide regime, salary cap cheating club and the fact he was paid "overs" than you have a garden variety dumbshit, hypocrite that probably can't spell his name!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Media organisations should be fined and/or spanked for giving airtime/print to people who obliviously contradict themselves within the space of 30 seconds. That argument from Gallen is so feeble it needs to be taken out the back and shot for humane reasons.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
it’s just very rich for a guy who’s retired and club has been over the cap numerous times and has issues right now to say “don’t pay overs” how about don’t take drugs pal...

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is gallen’s opinion so sought after? He resided over a losing decade of blues origin at the same time was a drug cheat.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gallen is showing why Forwards should generally keep their mouths shut. Although he is somewhat right about paying "overs" his example in Foran is just a coincidence, Foran was given a golden handshake by his previous Coach and if in any other industry would probably be considered fraud and criminal. Back to paying players "overs" and the part where he should just shut up. The NRL playing pool is most likely at the weakest in regards to talent then it ever has been. There's not enough genuine talent for the amount of teams we have. Add this to a rather high salary cap, mix in that the players have all the power and it's a bad recipe.

What we have is average players getting paid way more then their talent offers (Ash Taylor, Shaun Johnson and a 100 more). The NRL allows some clubs to stockpile all the talent, enough to fill 2 teams while the gap gets bigger for the other clubs trying to compete. When a marquee player or an unproven "next big thing" comes along the bottom feeders are forced to throw stupid money at them in order to try and become competitive. We have already seen many times over 10% of a club's salary cap being thrown to just one player. Most of the time it seems to fail for the club. So Gallen's comment of simply stop paying over's is just a stupid comment from someone who was hit a million times past the no return mark. Add in his peptide regime, salary cap cheating club and the fact he was paid "overs" than you have a garden variety dumbshit, hypocrite that probably can't spell his name!
Well said.

Paying overs has nothing to do with this in my opinion. If you lose a player that is playing at rep level, 350k does not come close to replacing a player of that calibre. It severely hampers a teams ability to compete and creates further gaps in an already skewed competition.

I find it really sad that a player like Gallen is still held in high esteem. His best ever moment in origin is tainted by the fact that he was using peptides at the time and by some shitty unspoken rule, the NRL never sees fit to talk about it. Every other sporting code would be quick to distance themselves from drug cheats. But Gallen still gets an honorary halo. Even if it was at the coaches insistence that he and the rest of the team took peptides, he never spoke up about it and basked in the praise earned through cheating. It's not like the game is short on decent representatives who went through their careers without cheating. It's just a pity that the NRL taints itself by giving him air time.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So from Peptide Paul’s dribbling shit comments, the only way for the rule to be fair is if all players earn no more than $350k...yeah try selling that one.

Fucking moron, such a punchable head

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if he would've made those comments pre-retirement. Doubt it.
Gal should bugger off and box himself into oblivion.
It would have been good to hear from his coach Gallen he been sidelined for the season.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not about paying overs. Forget about Foran and say for example a player like Thurston, clubs won't be paying overs for him but the market dictates that he gets paid 1 million plus. When he goes down in a rep game whether it be All stars, Origin or Australia, its unfair to only be compensated with 350 for a million dollar player.
Oh I totally agree it's a shit system but my point is clubs will pay even higher overs knowing they have their insurances are covered. I understand the market dictates but the market will change again because of less risk which will put further pressure on salary caps. It mind sound Unfair but it's keeping the system workable.

Last edited:

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was Hasler who organised Forans “overs” not pay
Exactly clearly Gallen spends more time playing with peptides than fact checking. Plus he is not one to talk, Cronulla paid overs for Dugan who just gets injured the same amount of times as Foran.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isnt Josh Dugan on $970,000 a year???
Cronulla Sharks, what a culture, most claim to fame is via the Peptide scandal, salary cap cheats, Greg Bird glassing someone on the street & Club Legend ET banging Paul Mellor’s missus.
Get stuffed Gallen!!!