More on Foxtel's slow death

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't the article more about the death of the old-school pay tv with a box set up?

Foxtel worked when there were no real alternatives, but now it is is vastly more expensive than the others (although it does, in view have the most and best overall content). I definitely see Foxtel going to streaming only at the very least, and maybe being broken up between sport and other offerings, so it can better compete with Netflix, Stan etc.

I only had kept Foxtel as my parents were using one of my log ins (helping to justify the cost). That's no longer the case. And, as 90% of my Foxtel viewing is sport, I'm probably going switch to Kayo shortly.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why did Kayo drop subscriptions drop 10% also I wonder?
After some great advice on here I signed up for Kayo yesterday at a third of the price of foxtel and called foxtel to cancel. They didn’t even argue with me or try to convince me to stay so they must be very used to those calls now

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
After some great advice on here I signed up for Kayo yesterday at a third of the price of foxtel and called foxtel to cancel. They didn’t even argue with me or try to convince me to stay so they must be very used to those calls now
does Kayo have all Foxtel sports content ?? I'm getting sick of paying for Foxtel also ..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
does Kayo have all Foxtel sports content ?? I'm getting sick of paying for Foxtel also ..
Everything including all the shows such as Matty John’s etc. The only thing I am disappointed they don’t have is the sky racing channel. If your TV is older than 2018 you’ll need chromecast or Apple TV though

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got Foxtel but I hardly watch it these days. Might be time to get rid of it.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I have Bigpond internet so get access to the NRL network for free. I don't need to bother paying extra for this.

Plus I got Netflix and currently have too many shows to watch backed up.

If Foxtel want to get competitive they need to lower their prices and also offer a streaming service like Netflix etc... as that's the way of future. You watch what you want when it's convenient to you, not the company.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If Foxtel want to get competitive they need to lower their prices and also offer a streaming service like Netflix etc... as that's the way of future. You watch what you want when it's convenient to you, not the company.
That's pretty much Foxtel Go/Now or whatever its called. it has the "live" channels, but most things are available to also watch on demand. I honestly thought most Foxtel subscribers used it and had ditched the old boxes ages ago as keeping the old type of service makes no sense anymore (i watch mine thru my Telstra TV box or just Chromecast my phone).

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn it! I get the wife to ring up Foxtel every 12 months or so and threaten to cancel and they usually come up with a new deal and a bunch of free movie hires and channels etc. Might have to find another way to rip them off.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Damn it! I get the wife to ring up Foxtel every 12 months or so and threaten to cancel and they usually come up with a new deal and a bunch of free movie hires and channels etc. Might have to find another way to rip them off.
If you got Bigpond internet you should have access to the NRL. Then just sign up with Netflix. You'll have the NRL on your phone/tablet and movies galore on Netflix.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you got Bigpond internet you should have access to the NRL. Then just sign up with Netflix. You'll have the NRL on your phone/tablet and movies galore on Netflix.
Thanks for the advice man but I don't have bigpond. Kayo sounds like the go from what I'm reading, but then I'll have to convince the cook to give up her Foxtel shows. More chance of bringing peace to the middle east!

Wahesh

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice man but I don't have bigpond. Kayo sounds like the go from what I'm reading, but then I'll have to convince the cook to give up her Foxtel shows. More chance of bringing peace to the middle east!
There's no point of signing up to Kayo for the sake of the NRL if you're going to continue with Foxtel subscription.

Tell your Mrs there are stacks of shows on Netflix she can watch... and best of all she can watch them whenever she wants to.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's no point of signing up to Kayo for the sake of the NRL if you're going to continue with Foxtel subscription.

Tell your Mrs there are stacks of shows on Netflix she can watch... and best of all she can watch them whenever she wants to.
No way she's having MORE control of the remote! Gessus Wahesh, you trying to get me less TV time?

Wahesh

Reaction score
No way she's having MORE control of the remote! Gessus Wahesh, you trying to get me less TV time?
Actually more lol. You can watch Netflix on your phone too, don't worry about the remote.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually more lol. You can watch Netflix on your phone too, don't worry about the remote.
Don't know about you but watching anything on my phone that's more than 5 mins long is tedious. Besides the remote is not just about what's on the TV, it's a power struggle that I'm not prepared to surrender on just yet. :tonguewink:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't know about you but watching anything on my phone that's more than 5 mins long is tedious. Besides the remote is not just about what's on the TV, it's a power struggle that I'm not prepared to surrender on just yet. :tonguewink:
How many TV's do you have at home? Almost all streaming service apps have the ability to chrome cast to your TV (Chromecast units are about $50), so you no longer have to watch on such a small screen.