News Knights leave the door open for Ponga Union switch as part of massive deal.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Lived in NZ for a grand total of 5 years?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he'll just end up chewing a fair chunk of the Knights cap space but won't deliver a premiership. I reckon a consistent player like Munster is more value for money than the flashy type of players like Johnson, Ponga, Milford, etc.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he'll just end up chewing a fair chunk of the Knights cap space but won't deliver a premiership. I reckon a consistent player like Munster is more value for money than the flashy type of players like Johnson, Ponga, Milford, etc.
I've been saying it for a long time about Ponga that he doesn't pose a huge threat to the better defensive teams and that's what you would expect on a regular basis if you're going to pay top dollar

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes a gun and will only get better but with him/klem and pearce all on big coin plus the knights seem to pay overs for most can see them struggling

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This article gives me the impression that Ponga isn't completely happy at the Knights. I'd say he's been offered other deals prior to this that he's rejected so they've hit the point where they're willing to offer the out clause through desperation to keep him. Given that they've enticed others to break contract to go there I have no sympathy for them if he decides to leave. It's going to be interesting and probably equally annoying to see if there's a media circus when he's a free agent.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ponga has all the talent in the world but didn't live up to the hype or handle pressure well last year at all.

This is a huge season for him to show what he's really made of. There are no excuses anymore with a new coach also..

He seems pretty full of himself without having proven much yet and it's obvious that he's distracted by Rugby and negotiating a new contract.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This guy isn’t that good. Another hunt

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I've been saying it for a long time about Ponga that he doesn't pose a huge threat to the better defensive teams and that's what you would expect on a regular basis if you're going to pay top dollar
One I noticed last year in Origin game 3, is that Munster played at fullback, and he appeared to be a lot more dangerous than Ponga. Ponga was well contained in games 1 and 2 (granted QLD won game 1) but Munster looked very dangerous with the ball.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
One I noticed last year in Origin game 3, is that Munster played at fullback, and he appeared to be a lot more dangerous than Ponga. Ponga was well contained in games 1 and 2 (granted QLD won game 1) but Munster looked very dangerous with the ball.
it's funny that the Queenslanders are speaking about who will play fullback this year LOL.. mate Val Holmes will walk straight into that position.. one of Ponga's biggest issues is that I don't think he is overly invested.. I mean I can't obviously say that for a fact but the best players, like your Munsters, will do whatever it takes to get the win, where as Ponga is usually just in cruise mode

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He would’ve been a much better buy than Foran for roughly the same money

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He would’ve been a much better buy than Foran for roughly the same money
Obviously. The hate Ponga gets is a result of the massive circle jerk that follows him and his every action.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Obviously. The hate Ponga gets is a result of the massive circle jerk that follows him and his every action.
Every young kid that gets big money and lots of attention is automatically labelled overrated but I’d still have him in my top 10. He’s only young also

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Discard the fact that Foran is on the worse contract in football history. He had done nothing in the 2-3 years beforehand to suggest he warranted a contract of more then 300k to 400k and somehow we have given him a million a season. Ponga would have been a great buy at 600k his initial contract with the knights but to pay him 4.5million over the next 4 seasons is exactly what the saints did with Hunt and will be a similar waste of money for a player who objects himself for half his games. I don’t have a hate for him I think he’s a good flashy young player but he obviously doesn’t want to be at the knights with all this All Black talk and I wouldn’t be betting my clubs future on him in delivering a premiership at that sort of money.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hes a great player but whether he can develop into a leader and a player that can lead his team to a premiership is yet to be seen. A team with 1/3 of the cap tied up in Ponga, Pearce and Klemmer isn't going to get far, giving Klemmer such a big contract was so stupid.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He had speed and skill,and is a good player obviously..!! but he did not, or is not living up to the hype, very overrated (yes it’s been said a lot) NEXT..!!

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meh.

I care more about blue ball's next thread than I do about ponga

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes not likely to come to us, and we arent likely to chase fullbacks with so many of them here, plus hes a queenslander. Fuck him, let him go to yawnion.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have the All Blacks actually expressed any interest?