News Bulldogs set to seek salary cap relief for second time in three months

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From my understanding - it is UP to 350k per instance.

So in Forans' case, we get the full package.
In Smiths' case, if he is on 200k, we should be entitled to the full 200k.

Toddy strikes again with his stupidity

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep ive been saying for a while that kalache has alot of promise but some niff nuffs couldn’t see his potential as he wasn’t doing what payne hass does lol
Oh he had promise coming through the grades no doubt but he shit himself last yr in ccup. Stupid decision making with the ball, poor handling and some knockonbor type defending. Maybe he got a kick up the ass by not making the 30 and his changed his tune. Considering he was our best and basically only prop coming through I hope he seriously does make it because his got plenty of j.trbo about his attack.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh he had promise coming through the grades no doubt but he shit himself last yr in ccup. Stupid decision making with the ball, poor handling and some knockonbor type defending. Maybe he got a kick up the ass by not making the 30 and his changed his tune. Considering he was our best and basically only prop coming through I hope he seriously does make it because his got plenty of j.trbo about his attack.
Hardly think he shit himself with the ball ,the issue with some on here is they have an inability to spot raw talent and can only see it when they are an origin or international player

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not uncommon for players that are physically superior in size or strength to hit the level where they're facing hardened adults and face massive stumbling blocks. I haven't seen enough to comment on his skills. But last year was probably the first time he faced players that could combat the fact that he's a large unit whereas before he was at a huge advantage with physical development compared to a lot of his opponents. But that all ends in reserve grade where props generally are about 6 feet tall and 100kg plus.

The next step for him and any player hitting the adult playing group is to toughen up enough to be matching or outplaying opponents at that level. To some extent it's why a lot of forwards don't really break into the NRL until they're a touch older. Many backs find it easier to progress since speed and evasion are equally important. I look at guys like Shaun Lane (had a great few games on debut but took about 2 more years to become consistent) Esse Esse etc that stood out in the lower grades but struggled to prove worthy of making the next step up. And you can often see just in their build when they finally get that toughness about them.

Time will tell if Kalache will develop into an NRL player. He'll have both fans and critics before he does. I think his pathway will only become more difficult as we make a few more signings. It's up to him to earn the right to progress to the NRL.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hardly think he shit himself with the ball ,the issue with some on here is they have an inability to spot raw talent and can only see it when they are an origin or international player
In regards to ball control it was probably a massive wake up call for the kid jumping from Flegg to reggies. I could honestly say he was averaging 4 errors a game in some crucial areas too.

In regards to how he played the other night he dead set looked like he would fit in to the Origin arena... He was running and hitting hard and ball playing a bit earlier than he usually does to the right runners. I know it was a reserve grade side but he can consistently maintain that level then he may actually come good. Happy days.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not uncommon for players that are physically superior in size or strength to hit the level where they're facing hardened adults and face massive stumbling blocks. I haven't seen enough to comment on his skills. But last year was probably the first time he faced players that could combat the fact that he's a large unit whereas before he was at a huge advantage with physical development compared to a lot of his opponents. But that all ends in reserve grade where props generally are about 6 feet tall and 100kg plus.

The next step for him and any player hitting the adult playing group is to toughen up enough to be matching or outplaying opponents at that level. To some extent it's why a lot of forwards don't really break into the NRL until they're a touch older. Many backs find it easier to progress since speed and evasion are equally important. I look at guys like Shaun Lane (had a great few games on debut but took about 2 more years to become consistent) Esse Esse etc that stood out in the lower grades but struggled to prove worthy of making the next step up. And you can often see just in their build when they finally get that toughness about them.

Time will tell if Kalache will develop into an NRL player. He'll have both fans and critics before he does. I think his pathway will only become more difficult as we make a few more signings. It's up to him to earn the right to progress to the NRL.
I totally agree though I don't think it was his size issue.. He was still standing in tackles and bending lines. It was more so his approach to ball control and jersey grabbing..... If last weekend was evidence of change then he should be good for it though this weekend against the raiders is probably his chance to enter the 30.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this mean we have roughly 550k to spend on replacement players?

If that's the case then promote a kid to take Smith's spot for the minimum wage which is around 100k. Should still leave us with 450k to spend on forans replacement.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Does this mean we have roughly 550k to spend on replacement players?

If that's the case then promote a kid to take Smith's spot for the minimum wage which is around 100k. Should still leave us with 450k to spend on forans replacement.
The season starts in just over two weeks, we ain't getting a replacement. I don't think we'll be able to get anyone decent. I think the best thing to do is take it into the mid season (if we're allowed) and pick up someone then (maybe two players).

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the club will wait for a player not happy for a mid season switch like dwz

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the club will wait for a player not happy for a mid season switch like dwz
Problem with that is if/when Foz comes back, the newly signed player has to be stood down from the 30.

Also I’m not sure we can combine the relief from two injured players...if Smith came back a month or two earlier, the player would have to be stood down then, meaning we don’t have the replacement whilst Foz is still out. If the replacement was a 2nd rower, no biggie for us but hopefully we wouldn’t have bought another 2nd rower to replace Foz.

I just can’t see how this will work, apart from the promotion from within. What 1st grader in their right mind would come here for part of a year only to be stood down a month or so before finals when Foz is available? Then when Foz injures himself 3 weeks later we can’t use his replacement again.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Problem with that is if/when Foz comes back, the newly signed player has to be stood down from the 30.

Also I’m not sure we can combine the relief from two injured players...if Smith came back a month or two earlier, the player would have to be stood down then, meaning we don’t have the replacement whilst Foz is still out. If the replacement was a 2nd rower, no biggie for us but hopefully we wouldn’t have bought another 2nd rower to replace Foz.

I just can’t see how this will work, apart from the promotion from within. What 1st grader in their right mind would come here for part of a year only to be stood down a month or so before finals when Foz is available? Then when Foz injures himself 3 weeks later we can’t use his replacement again.
A few things, one, we only have 29 players registered so we have a spot available. Two, from what I have heard we have kept around the 5% of Cap available (~$480k) that the NRL allows, same as we did last year. And three, we have development player spots free, so we can promote/demote. Lastly, we don’t have to finalise the roster until 30th June.

Add it up and we have wiggle room in Cap space, player #’s and the time to fit pretty much any scenario. Which, the way I look at it, is rather smart Salary Cap and player roster management.

Go Dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just read that Gllen has come out and said injuries are just part of sport, in reference to Pays complaints about the current system.
He went on to suggest that of you want to minimize the amount of money lost, dont buy rep players, or dont pay overs for players

How fucking dumb is this ****!! Seriously. First of all, Pay didnt sign Foran, and more importantly, regardless of what you pay, thesystem is fucked!!! As it stands, the club whom the I hired player plays for is the one that cops the entire amount of money lost for their stat player to play a rep game on the NTLs behalf.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just read that Gllen has come out and said injuries are just part of sport, in reference to Pays complaints about the current system.
He went on to suggest that of you want to minimize the amount of money lost, dont buy rep players, or dont pay overs for players

How fucking dumb is this ****!! Seriously. First of all, Pay didnt sign Foran, and more importantly, regardless of what you pay, thesystem is fucked!!! As it stands, the club whom the I hired player plays for is the one that cops the entire amount of money lost for their stat player to play a rep game on the NTLs behalf.
Too many blows to the head for gallen

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will apply the same strategy this year as the one that delivered DWZ.

Wait for the season to start and then pounce on a quality player that is not loving life at their current club

These guys usually have a point to prove and we welcome them with open arms

Reactions: GDR