The Kids and Newbies.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wakeham is a player right now and not a supporter, sure he might want to play for us but playing for your childhood club isn't always the dream some players think it's going to be.

Halfback is also a position that's in high demand and attracts stupid offers, doubt the advice he's receiving right now is to sign the rumoured contract on offer to him by us before a ball has been kicked and before he has been given a chance to string some games together.
From what I say on the weekend and how he performed with Fiji, his price will only go up as season goes on. Pay needs to decide which player has more upside between Wakeham and Cogger, then back then by giving them an extended run in the team

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham is a player right now and not a supporter, sure he might want to play for us but playing for your childhood club isn't always the dream some players think it's going to be.

Halfback is also a position that's in high demand and attracts stupid offers, doubt the advice he's receiving right now is to sign the rumoured contract on offer to him by us before a ball has been kicked and before he has been given a chance to string some games together.
Don’t disagree with most of that but if he’s only listening to his manager and it’s 100% dollar driven that would be a shame. I’m sure his family have input too.

Equally no doubt the Dogs see his future value and will offer a competitive deal. I’d be surprised if he goes anywhere else considering Cogger is only contracted to the end of this year and Lewis was only extended to end of 2021. If the Dogs have tabled something until say the end of 2023 that probably says a lot about their intentions. He may also be aware of who perhaps the club is targeting to replace Foran in #6 from 2021.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
From what I say on the weekend and how he performed with Fiji, his price will only go up as season goes on. Pay needs to decide which player has more upside between Wakeham and Cogger, then back then by giving them an extended run in the team
It's a no brainer, kid is a halfback and a halfback is what we need most right now so just play him there. Lewis ain't a halfback while Cogger is pretty meh, just throw one of them in the 6 next to him and go from there.

I still remember following the Reddit match thread for the Fiji game and seeing all these people ask who Wakeham plays for. They couldn't understand why he wasn't playing firstgrade once they found out he was contracted with us lol.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a no brainer, kid is a halfback and a halfback is what we need most right now so just play him there. Lewis ain't a halfback while Cogger is pretty meh, just throw one of them in the 6 next to him and go from there.

I still remember following the Reddit match thread for the Fiji game and seeing all these people ask who Wakeham plays for. They couldn't understand why he wasn't playing firstgrade once they found out he was contracted with us lol.
It’s a pity we haven’t had the opportunity to see Wakeham play with Foran. The risk for us is Wakeham can sign with another club at any time this season. It’s up to Pay now to see who the better player is. Cogger doesn’t excite me and is nothing more than a solid backup IMO

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don’t disagree with most of that but if he’s only listening to his manager and it’s 100% dollar driven that would be a shame. I’m sure his family have input too.

Equally no doubt the Dogs see his future value and will offer a competitive deal. I’d be surprised if he goes anywhere else considering Cogger is only contracted to the end of this year and Lewis was only extended to end of 2021. If the Dogs have tabled something until say the end of 2023 that probably says a lot about their intentions. He may also be aware of who perhaps the club is targeting to replace Foran in #6 from 2021.
Well if the dogs truly see his value then he should be wearing the 7 come round 1.

At the end of the day the dream is playing NRL footy and he will have to make the decision he thinks best is going to get him there and allow him to live the life his best life. Hopefully the club is right on top of this.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Well if the dogs truly see his value then he should be wearing the 7 come round 1.

At the end of the day the dream is playing NRL footy and he will have to make the decision he thinks best is going to get him there and allow him to live the life his best life. Hopefully the club is right on top of this.
If they’re not that would be fairly startling. I don’t think that’s the case.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If they’re not that would be fairly startling. I don’t think that’s the case.
I believe a 2 year offer has been tabled, not the most reliable source but it's also been mentioned on here before as well.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It’s a pity we haven’t had the opportunity to see Wakeham play with Foran. The risk for us is Wakeham can sign with another club at any time this season. It’s up to Pay now to see who the better player is. Cogger doesn’t excite me and is nothing more than a solid backup IMO
Don't even mention Foran, no point getting our hopes up just for him to get injured again lol.

Both Lewis and Cogger don't excite me either and I'd already be monitoring other options, whether that be someone from within like Averillo or an outside recruit I really don't care, just get the right people into the right positions because I'm sick of just going through the same problems season after season.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't even mention Foran, no point getting our hopes up just for him to get injured again lol.

Both Lewis and Cogger don't excite me either and I'd already be monitoring other options, whether that be someone from within like Averillo or an outside recruit I really don't care, just get the right people into the right positions because I'm sick of just going through the same problems season after season.
I think we have some great options within the club. I’ll be interested to see where Averillo plays in Canterbury Cup because he looks like a natural footballer, just like Wakeham.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score

People need to move on from Foran, even at the time signing him was like a drunk poker player going all in with a pair of 3’s

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I believe a 2 year offer has been tabled, not the most reliable source but it's also been mentioned on here before as well.
That would be consistent with the newish policy of shorter deals which are extended/upgraded on merit. Time will tell but I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think we have some great options within the club. I’ll be interested to see where Averillo plays in Canterbury Cup because he looks like a natural footballer, just like Wakeham.
Averillo really does look special, his short stint at fullback was impressive and I could easily see him carving up the ISP from the back. His support play for the To'omaga try and then the linkup play was excellent considering he only just moved into the role, kid is absolutely switched on and looks to be one of those players that just wants to attack the opposition every chance he gets.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo really does look special, his short stint at fullback was impressive and I could easily see him carving up the ISP from the back. His support play for the To'omaga try and then the linkup play was excellent considering he only just moved into the role, kid is absolutely switched on and looks to be one of those players that just wants to attack the opposition every chance he gets.
I don’t think he’ll play fullback in Canterbury Cup. We have too many backs at that level and if Averillo doesn’t play 6 we’ll have a NRL contracted back on the bench or playing Rob Massey Cup

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don’t think he’ll play fullback in Canterbury Cup. We have too many backs at that level and if Averillo doesn’t play 6 we’ll have a NRL contracted back on the bench or playing Rob Massey Cup
Who would play fullback then? You'd also think one of Wakeham/Cogger/Lewis would drop down to reserves and take up one halves position with BBO taking up the other unless we're going to piss about and play him in Flegg for another season.

Either way it's nice to have a few different offensively gifted options and trying to work out where they all fit in, beats having no one to look forward to.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who would play fullback then? You'd also think one of Wakeham/Cogger/Lewis would drop down to reserves and take up one halves position with BBO taking up the other unless we're going to piss about and play him in Flegg for another season.

Either way it's nice to have a few different offensively gifted options and trying to work out where they all fit in, beats having no one to look forward to.
Mata’afa is the incumbent fullback when Holland is playing first grade.
There’s also Harper, Montoya, Crichton, Tass, Katoa & Winters-Chang(on development contract).
This might be unpopular but I don’t see how with Harper and Averillo coming through we didn’t just let Okunbor walk?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Mata’afa is the incumbent fullback when Holland is playing first grade.
There’s also Harper, Montoya, Crichton, Tass, Katoa & Winters-Chang(on development contract).
This might be unpopular but I don’t see how with Harper and Averillo coming through we didn’t just let Okunbor walk?
I'd honestly start Harper at centre and shift Smith back to the wing, think that looks far better.

But yh there's a few players available there but I don't think many of them are good enough to the point that we wouldn't play Averillo at fullback if that's where the club really wanted to play him.