News Harry Grant is set to ask the Storm for a release

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m curious how much Grant is on as a 3rd strong hooker at the Storm?
Probably very little. Near the minimum I'd say. But he'd probably be seeking an increase to leave. Although at this point it seems that he just wants the opportunity to play somewhere..

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably very little. Near the minimum I'd say. But he'd probably be seeking an increase to leave. Although at this point it seems that he just wants the opportunity to play somewhere..
So the question is why did he re-sign with the Storm late last year at all?
Other clubs would have offered the opportunity to play first grade and most likely more money too?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So the question is why did he re-sign with the Storm late last year at all?
Other clubs would have offered the opportunity to play first grade and most likely more money too?
As I said earlier, the only reason would have been because he thought Cam was retiring and Bellamy convinced him he was going to get an opportunity this season.

Cam didn't decide til very late in the season that he was coming back.. So Grant can either be content with playing Q Cup this season and hope that Cam retires after this year or if he's sick of waiting, he can try and ask for a release and hope that they do the right thing by him..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was average vs the Warriors yesterday

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I said earlier, the only reason would have been because he thought Cam was retiring and Bellamy convinced him he was going to get an opportunity this season.

Cam didn't decide til very late in the season that he was coming back.. So Grant can either be content with playing Q Cup this season and hope that Cam retires after this year or if he's sick of waiting, he can try and ask for a release and hope that they do the right thing by him..
Not sure I want a guy who makes decisions like that. He'd only come to us now as a last resort so we are better off looking elsewhere

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are we thinking is going to happen with Brandon Smith? I mean you play that guy anywhere... but Storm certainly won't want to lose him if he wants to be long term hooker and they have other plans for him

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What are we thinking is going to happen with Brandon Smith? I mean you play that guy anywhere... but Storm certainly won't want to lose him if he wants to be long term hooker and they have other plans for him
I think they'll extend Brandon Smith soon enough and can see him being their captain once Cam retires. He's been the heir to the throne the whole time.

I think he'll go to another level this season and like you said, play him in the second row or at hooker, he makes a huge impact regardless.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think they'll extend Brandon Smith soon enough and can see him being their captain once Cam retires. He's been the heir to the throne the whole time.

I think he'll go to another level this season and like you said, play him in the second row or at hooker, he makes a huge impact regardless.
Definitely.. but if he really wants to play hooker I think it's going to be a problem for Grant because Storm will not be letting Brandon walk, that's for sure

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Brandon Smith is a top 5 hooker in the NRL already. Storm should just release Harry Grant.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Brandon Smith is a top 5 hooker in the NRL already. Storm should just release Harry Grant.
IMO Brandon Smith will be used as an edge forward once Cammy retires. He has a great determined running game and pretty decent defence but his ball skills and kicking game are so-so at best. Think that's why they want to keep Grant so that he plays hooker, B Smith to lock.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
IMO Brandon Smith will be used as an edge forward once Cammy retires. He has a great determined running game and pretty decent defence but his ball skills and kicking game are so-so at best. Think that's why they want to keep Grant so that he plays hooker, B Smith to lock.
Smith is a better hooker than edge forward.

Smith is a better hooker than Grant.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
At least the storm have 3 hookers and we have none lol

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Smith is a better hooker than edge forward.

Smith is a better hooker than Grant.
Maybe. But why are the Storm intent on keeping both if Grant is just playing Q Cup as an understudy to B Smith once Captain Shitstain decides to retire after his 3rd testimonial match? They'd be paying good coin to a bloke to play reserve grade.
I think they would be looking to shift B Smith into the pigs.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Maybe. But why are the Storm intent on keeping both if Grant is just playing Q Cup as an understudy to B Smith once Captain Shitstain decides to retire after his 3rd testimonial match? They'd be paying good coin to a bloke to play reserve grade.
I think they would be looking to shift B Smith into the pigs.
Because Grant is on like 100k-150k a season so it's pointless for them to let him go. They get nothing out of him going to the Tigers.

Also I think I can see Smith starting the game at hooker with Grant coming on for the last 30 min with Smith shifting to lock next season if they keep both.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Because Grant is on like 100k-150k a season so it's pointless for them to let him go. They get nothing out of him going to the Tigers.

Also I think I can see Smith starting the game at hooker with Grant coming on for the last 30 min with Smith shifting to lock next season if they keep both.
Agree with 2nd paragraph.
They won't be able to keep Grant for a measly 150k for too long though if he is supposedly in big demand once his current contract expires (2021?).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Brandon Smith could be out four to six weeks with a facial fracture so there's no chance Grant gets released now.. He might even be picked on their bench in Round One.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@speedy2460 Grant has scored two tries and set up another in the two trials and lived up to the hype thus far. Still think he's no good and Katoa and JMK are better?

It's a shame Brandon Smith got injured because any slim chance there was for someone to lure Grant is likely gone now..

Meanwhile we're stuck with Katoa and JMK..

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give it time
@speedy2460 Grant has scored two tries and set up another in the two trials and lived up to the hype thus far. Still think he's no good and Katoa and JMK are better?

It's a shame Brandon Smith got injured because any slim chance there was for someone to lure Grant is likely gone now..

Meanwhile we're stuck with Katoa and JMK..

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure I want a guy who makes decisions like that. He'd only come to us now as a last resort so we are better off looking elsewhere

With that mindset we will never ever end up with any player who is a potential star

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With that mindset we will never ever end up with any player who is a potential star
You want players who obviously don’t want to come to us? Great mindset there. We’ll have to pay overs by your logic for a guy who is currently only a QLD Cup player