Opinion S Katoa

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I was at the all star game and didn’t see a lot of the trial. He seemed to knock on a couple of times. I’ll try and watch the trial back tonight or tomorrow but how was his service and dummy half runs?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already an upgrade on michael lichaa, he was decent yesterday, could be really good rotating with jmk
9. Jmk
14. S katoa
I dont know about long term though, i mean jmk has the potential, so we have to wait and see
Yes I thought katoa was good,his passing game is good,threw 2 passes for tries near the line,and doesn't mind running from dummy half.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If katoa and jmk don’t work this year and next If I was pay and the board id be going hard for Brandon smith. He’s off contract after 2022 so could try poach him after November 1 2021 give him a starting position and decent money. Even try get him early for the 2022 season.

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Yes I thought katoa was good,his passing game is good,threw 2 passes for tries near the line,and doesn't mind running from dummy half.
Same, was pleasantly surprised with Katoa (as I had no expectations for him). Not only did he throw that pass for Napa, but he spotted the gap and called Napa over to it.

It was weird seeing a hooker in the blue and white that actually seemed to be thinking about what they were doing :sweatsmile:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Same, was pleasantly surprised with Katoa (as I had no expectations for him). Not only did he throw that pass for Napa, but he spotted the gap and called Napa over to it.

It was weird seeing a hooker in the blue and white that actually seemed to be thinking about what they were doing :sweatsmile:
He was constantly looking around the ruck and searching for gaps each play the ball. He’s a smart footballer. Hopefully he shines for us

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already an upgrade on michael lichaa, he was decent yesterday, could be really good rotating with jmk
9. Jmk
14. S katoa
I dont know about long term though, i mean jmk has the potential, so we have to wait and see
We need Brandon smith, not these two

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Katoa was ok at dummy half in the trial. Didn't show much of a running game but he definitely gives better service than JMK and can defend about the same. He got a bit sloppy with his handling a couple of times but overall he was good. Looked to me like he was looking for a bit of direction from the halves at times (as he moved into dummy half) but wasn't getting much help.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Katoa was ok at dummy half in the trial. Didn't show much of a running game but he definitely gives better service than JMK and can defend about the same. He got a bit sloppy with his handling a couple of times but overall he was good. Looked to me like he was looking for a bit of direction from the halves at times (as he moved into dummy half) but wasn't getting much help.
Given that most are saying he's a real dummy half and looked promising for us, I'd like to see how Wakeham goes with good service. Maybe it would be good to use the trial to see how averillo would go as 5/8 and potential partner to Wakeham.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We need Brandon smith, not these two
What happens when Smith gets injured or gets a rep call up? Or it’s a high intensity game and he needs a breather? No hooker for us because we flicked both of them, seems like a smart move.

Go Dogs

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happens when Smith gets injured or gets a rep call up? Or it’s a high intensity game and he needs a breather? No hooker for us because we flicked both of them, seems like a smart move.

Go Dogs
Katoa is better then Marshall, so I wouldn’t mind him staying as a back up to smith. But then two together shouldn’t be considered our future if that makes sense

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Katoa is better then Marshall, so I wouldn’t mind him staying as a back up to smith. But then two together shouldn’t be considered our future if that makes sense
But Melbourne have 3 hookers CSmith, Grant and BSmith. JMK and Katoa wouldn’t use up half of CSmith’s $1.2m Cap space, so we should have room for 3 hookers..........next year.

Go Dogs

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With depth of 2nd rowers, wouldn’t we be better off with an 80min hooker and carry an extra forward? Whoever has the quality and stamina to cover 80 gets the 9 with the other playing the lower grades.
Exactly and prepare a couple of likely backrow candidates incase of injury. All this until we pick up a solid 9. Absolute waste using up a bench spot for a fill hooker.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Exactly and prepare a couple of likely backrow candidates incase of injury. All this until we pick up a solid 9. Absolute waste using up a bench spot for a fill hooker.
It is a waste, but our hookers are shit and we score fuck all points so unfortunately we're stuck doing it

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a waste, but our hookers are shit and we score fuck all points so unfortunately we're stuck doing it
How are you go nads my friend? Been a while..
Bad recruiting nothing more to it. Gota deal with what we have and at this stage jmk is the only hooker that can punch out 80 and do half decent job, sadly.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone that doesnt know what Katoa is capable of please watch the tongan invitational vs the GB Lions - he sets up a great try!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How are you go nads my friend? Been a while..
Bad recruiting nothing more to it. Gota deal with what we have and at this stage jmk is the only hooker that can punch out 80 and do half decent job, sadly.
100% agree. Said ages ago we should've gone after Brittain as a stop gap solution as we have absolutely no depth at hooker. JMK won't be fit to start the season and the club has known about it for months, so unfortunately we're going to be starting with a Katoa/Holland combo.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone that doesnt know what Katoa is capable of please watch the tongan invitational vs the GB Lions - he sets up a great try!!
No direspect to the player or your opinion sir but its a 1 off test, chalk n cheese when it comes to regular wk 2 wk footy.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He has a great passing game inside the opposition 20 but his biggest problem is knowing when to throw those passes and give it to the halves.

He can over play his hand and have brain explosions. Hopefully he gets some consistency and picks his plays better.

khan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% agree. Said ages ago we should've gone after Brittain as a stop gap solution as we have absolutely no depth at hooker. JMK won't be fit to start the season and the club has known about it for months, so unfortunately we're going to be starting with a Katoa/Holland combo.
Yeh i thought the same at the time or even reece robson. Club has failed big time in this area.