[Match thread] Bulldogs 30 def Sharks 18

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ll change my tune once I see a sustained performance from him against a battle hardened NRL standard opposition. This forums blowing their loads over a couple of performances against lowly ranked international teams who had amateurs in their team, and a slightly above average 2nd half performance against tired Sharks reserve grade team.

His performances in first grade last year were mixed and from what I’ve seen his kicking game isn’t up to it yet.

Lewis played a creditable role in our success in the back half of last season, whilst Cogger also improved with every run.

At the end of the day Pay and Shifty know best, and I’ll back whatever they go with for Round 1. But I’ve got a fair idea already of what that will be. Won’t be a popular one for the armchair coaches who apparently know better.
Lewis just doesn't have natural half skills and he's not athletic either, why keep playing him there if you have Wakeham who at least has skills required of a 7 and is a goal kicker?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No-one is blowing there load. We all know our halfes situation is the biggest issue for us this year, we have no-one to blow our loads over:|
Do you know for a fact that Pay listens and implements what Shifty sais?
It has only been 1 outting but Shifty's impact on training Lewis so far equates to nil.

Im not having a go at you, did you watch the game yet?
Can anyone seriously picture shifty claiming Lewis is the better fit at halfback than Wakeham? Lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lewis just doesn't have natural half skills and he's not athletic either, why keep playing him there if you have Wakeham who at least has skills required of a 7 and is a goal kicker?
Blokes a troll, should be banned tbh.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that to'omaga hasn't really grown physically? By this I mean muscle mass

I'd think he could put on a bit more as he's already agile for a big man

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that to'omaga hasn't really grown physically? By this I mean muscle mass

Concerned? He looked fitter and his game didn’t appear to be affected by it last night.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I thought he looked in the best condition he has in his career last night. He looked strong and played the full 80.

He’s already pretty big I’m not sure getting any bigger would really do that much for him.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Blokes a troll, should be banned tbh.
The scary thing is I actually believe he believes what he is saying.. can't ban people for the wrong opinion (that was a joke btw, just in case someone precious has a cry)..

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The scary thing is I actually believe he believes what he is saying.. can't ban people for the wrong opinion (that was a joke btw, just in case someone precious has a cry)..
Lol I copped the same backlash when I endorsed JMK as a solution at hooker prior to 2019, and everyone else on here told me he was completely useless in any capacity. Then copped further backlash when I tried to hose down the circle jerk over Nu Brown.

Same deal going on here. Fair way to go until you can declare my opinion as the ‘wrong opinion’ in this instance.

Besides as members, aren’t we all entitled to an opinion?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol I copped the same backlash when I endorsed JMK as a solution at hooker prior to 2019, and everyone else on here told me he was completely useless in any capacity. Then copped further backlash when I tried to hose down the circle jerk over Nu Brown.

Same deal going on here. Fair way to go until you can declare my opinion as the ‘wrong opinion’ in this instance.

It was a joke, tongue in cheek.. calm your farm..

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It was a joke, tongue in cheek.. calm your farm..
oh it was a joke. Good joke

Pretty calm thanks mate, it’s everyone around me who appears to be losing their shit

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh it was a joke. Good joke

Pretty calm thanks mate, it’s everyone around me who appears to be losing their shit
Jmk as a hooker was always a plausible option nu Brown was a flop most knew that... But Lewis is not and will never be a good half .. mark my words..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lots of debate about Lewis and rightly so especially if you bothered to watch the full game

The criticism is not all attributed to the game last night for the ‘its just a trial brigade’ more so the frustration is that he has had all pre season injury free, day in day out to work on his game , learn from shifty, watch video /analysis of not only his own game but the best in the game currently and the greats of the past

Unfortunately what he dished up last night was carbon copy of what he has produced in the past

- predictable up and under hope for the best kicks
- predictable passing options in attacking zone
- inability to control the tempo of the game as and when required

Most glaring was his defence which is what some here hang their argument on.
Bad reads, basic one on one missed including two that lead to direct tries.

Cogger had a so so game as well largely due to playing second fiddle to Lewis but his defence (first up contact) needs work and his general kicking (think early second half kick on the 3rd) was terrible

Wakeham may not be the answer but he damn well doesn’t have the same question marks as the two aforementioned

He just plays like a genuine halfback with his ability to steer the team around the park and vary his kicking and mixing up his passing and running game

Our shape on attack looked awful until he came on

I would like to see him get more minutes vs the Raiders

Pay previously said if he performs he will select him so hopefully keeps his word

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It was a scrappy win but a win is a win. First proper game since last year. Will only improve!
Hopefully we see a big difference against the raiders next week. Big game for us. Let’s get some combinations together for round 1!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

What about the To'omaga Jizz Train? If anything, with the way he's played since that thread you created, they need to run more services for the Jizz Train because he's come on leaps and bounds since then...

The point is, you have your favourite players and ones that you don't rate as highly just like anyone else.

You can be as negative towards certain players like To'omaga, Ogden, Wakeham etc as you can be supportive of Lewis, Cogger, Elliott etc. It goes both ways so in that respect, you're just as subjective as any other fan on here..

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The boys entered this game with a large dose of complacency. They were playing a reggies side and were expected to win by 100.
By 3/4 time, they realised they needed to shape up. This they did. Forget this game even happened.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Because we are all getting a sense of deja vu.. starting the season with the wrong side.. I can't actually believe any thinks Lewis is a good half..
A lot of experts who have played for australia don’t agree with that opinion though mate

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sancho

Why dont you name us your preferred side for round 1? For all to see
Completely agree with what you're saying mate, I really do. I didn't watch the game, so very hard for me to give an insight so I truly do trust your views as I know you call it as how it is. Don't doubt for a second that we were below standard, and really should've performed better with a much clearer and well structured game plan. You know full well my major concern about this season isn't the players, but the coach so I share your fear if I'm honest.

But we're only 1 trial game in ...

I just question, or more worry at the fact that so many people are seemingly wound up on personal vendettas against or for some of our players. One can't give a negative opinion about the form of someone without having their support for the team questioned. On the flip side if someone supports a player that everyone seems hellbent on burning they're treated as morons who're blind and simply follow without reason.

It all seems absurd to me that we're all losing our shit over a trial game, and simply can't discuss the game with a little bit of objectivity. No one is saying a player like Lewis is the answer. Or Pay will lead us to a string of premierships. We all know we've got a long hard road in front of us. I just refuse to burn the witches at the stake after one trial game ....

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Sancho

Why dont you name us your preferred side for round 1? For all to see
You won’t get that out of him. I pressed him multiple times last year to reveal his bulletproof winning formula and it was met with crickets each time.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wakeham and Lewis n the halves I’d like to see. With a full starting side at that.
DwZ
Meaney
Harper/Averillo
Hoppa
Smith
Lewis
Wakeham
Napa
Katoa/JMK
Ogden/Tolman
CHN
Stimson
Jacko

Averillo/Holland
Toomaga
Britt
Elliot/Ogden

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The boys entered this game with a large dose of complacency. They were playing a reggies side and were expected to win by 100.
By 3/4 time, they realised they needed to shape up. This they did. Forget this game even happened.
Way off the mark. The players that came into the game were the difference, not some sudden wake up call 60 minutes into the game.