[Match thread] Bulldogs 30 def Sharks 18

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I didnt get to watch the game myself, so I'm curious to know what you all saw? Did any of our youngsters show serious potential? Did our forwards stand up? Was it two different teams for each half?? Why didnt we win by more???
The ref letting sharks lay all over us didn't help with any continuity.

At the same time, our wrestle is woeful.

Was that red headed ref the same one that loved canning us in reserves last year. Pray we don't get him again.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
My biggest concern is that our team will perform well with shit halves masking the fact that there needs to be a change.. until it's too late..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well if he does that he’ll likely find himself out of a job for 2021 so that would be pretty foolish if you ask me.
He has done it the past 2 years though hasn't he? He is a conservative coach walking on eggshells with a poor halves combo who can't execute. He could change that. Up to him.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
My biggest concern is that our team will perform well with shit halves masking the fact that there needs to be a change.. until it's too late..
I don’t see too many teams perform well with a pair of shit halves.

My view is Cogger and Lewis get the nod for R1 on merit, if they fail to impress then Wakeham will get his chance. Simple as that.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He has done it the past 2 years though hasn't he? He is a conservative coach walking on eggshells with a poor halves combo who can't execute. He could change that. Up to him.
Yes, but two years ago no-one could’ve picked the horror run with Foran and the inexperience of the rest of the squad. He hasn’t had a lot to work with (we had Frawley for the first half of 2018). But you’re right, it is up to him this year to get a working combo with who he’s got and if he doesn’t there may be consequences.

However I’ll never buy that any coach isn’t picking the best possible team they believe can get the chocolates - anything else simply doesn’t make sense.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure he will get plenty of time next week. Personally i've seen enough. Kid has far more time and control than Lewis and Cogger.
I hear you. He has the attributes of a half which we have been sorely missing. If he plays well next week against a full strength Raiders team Pay will have no choice but to pick him.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

My view is Cogger and Lewis get the nod for R1 on merit, if they fail to impress then Wakeham will get his chance. Simple as that.
What merit? Pick the best team for the job. This whole Wakeham wait your turn, Foran will come back into the team etc is bullshit. We need to get moving or we will never be contenders. We havent got time to wait 6 rounds in for Lewis to prove once again he isnt a half. Ill be fucking dead before we win another premiership.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Averillo had a mixed match yesterday but there were a few touches that made me realise his potential. He certainly has the speed and the step. I think he will be a winner for us. Tass also impressed me.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What merit? Pick the best team for the job. This whole Wakeham wait your turn, Foran will come back into the team etc is bullshit. We need to get moving or we will never be contenders. We havent got time to wait 6 rounds in for Lewis to prove once again he isnt a half. Ill be fucking dead before we win another premiership.
Yup 100% !! Also if we mess around and don’t give wakeham a chance we risk loosing him, and that would be the worst outcome.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Using the fall back that we won doesn't make sense to me for a trial. The final score is irrelevant really you don't get 2 points and there's so many personnel changes during the game you can only really judge on a personal performances and even then you don't know what the coach has asked from the player to focus on during the game.

What stood out for me was the attacking structure in the first half it looked exactly the same as last year. Lewis and Cogger looked so rusty it wasn't funny and their execution in attack and defence was way off.

Is it time to hit the panic button? No but they would both want a much better showing next week.

If the trials were a true a shoot out for Round 1 spots you'd have Wakeham there. I know its not but its still food for thought.
Well said

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ll change my tune once I see a sustained performance from him against a battle hardened NRL standard opposition. This forums blowing their loads over a couple of performances against lowly ranked international teams who had amateurs in their team, and a slightly above average 2nd half performance against tired Sharks reserve grade team.

His performances in first grade last year were mixed and from what I’ve seen his kicking game isn’t up to it yet.

Lewis played a creditable role in our success in the back half of last season, whilst Cogger also improved with every run.

At the end of the day Pay and Shifty know best, and I’ll back whatever they go with for Round 1. But I’ve got a fair idea already of what that will be. Won’t be a popular one for the armchair coaches who apparently know better.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes, but two years ago no-one could’ve picked the horror run with Foran and the inexperience of the rest of the squad. He hasn’t had a lot to work with (we had Frawley for the first half of 2018). But you’re right, it is up to him this year to get a working combo with who he’s got and if he doesn’t there may be consequences.

However I’ll never buy that any coach isn’t picking the best possible team they believe can get the chocolates - anything else simply doesn’t make sense.
Do you believe coaches Cleary, Siebold, Nathan Brown, McGregor have always picked the best players in their best positions? ;)

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

We made it to a grand final with a shit pair of halves.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The NSW halfback and 14/utilty? I think you're really downplaying their ability. The problems started when Hodkinson left.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Classic. Just off a long flight so missed the action. 500+ Kennel meltdown messages (I’ve only seen a handful) with impending doom and calls to sack players and the coach. And we still won.

It’s a trial - first 80min of the year.
Let’s see how they go next week leading into Round 1 before anyone works themselves into too much of a lather :-).
Stop all these generalized comments please. About a dozen of you ‘gilded’ posters are getting dragged into bitch sessions with just a couple of wobbly Posters.
The kennel is not in meltdown for Fxxk sake. Most, dare I generalise, just read and post when we have an opinion to share.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’ll change my tune once I see a sustained performance from him against a battle hardened NRL standard opposition. This forums blowing their loads over a couple of performances against lowly ranked international teams who had amateurs in their team, and a slightly above average 2nd half performance against tired Sharks reserve grade team.

His performances in first grade last year were mixed and from what I’ve seen his kicking game isn’t up to it yet.

Lewis played a creditable role in our success in the back half of last season, whilst Cogger also improved with every run.

At the end of the day Pay and Shifty know best, and I’ll back whatever they go with for Round 1. But I’ve got a fair idea already of what that will be. Won’t be a popular one for the armchair coaches who apparently know better.
No-one is blowing there load. We all know our halfes situation is the biggest issue for us this year, we have no-one to blow our loads over:|
Do you know for a fact that Pay listens and implements what Shifty sais?
It has only been 1 outting but Shifty's impact on training Lewis so far equates to nil.

Im not having a go at you, did you watch the game yet?

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Bag Reynolds all you want but the facts are he helped guide us to 2 Grand Finals and played a role in NSW winning an origin series in that same era. But okay let’s just say he was shit.

Hodkinson same deal, had a couple of very good years for us and earned rep honours and success. Again, not shit.

Keating you could maybe make a case for across the entirety of his career but he performed honestly in 2012 and deserves credit for that.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The NSW halfback and 14/utilty? I think you're really downplaying their ability. The problems started when Hodkinson left.
Nah not really , one was busted, slow and uninspiring. The other was erratic unpolished and inconsistent.. the evidence of this is how their careers have panned out since.. great halves don't have careers like these 2.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bag Reynolds all you want but the facts are he helped guide us to 2 Grand Finals and played a role in NSW winning an origin series in that same era. But okay let’s just say he was shit.

Hodkinson same deal, had a couple of very good years for us and earned rep honours and success. Again, not shit.

Keating you could maybe make a case for across the entirety of his career but he performed honestly in 2012 and deserves credit for that.
Keating was more of a half than both of those 2 but still not great.. it's obvious we have a differing opinion of what makes a half great and it's obvious your standards are far lower than mine.