[Match thread] Bulldogs 30 def Sharks 18

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He’s signed until the end of 2021, so he’s unlikely going anywhere prior to that. I’m not suggesting he’s a superstar nor saviour but I’m not going to judge him on the first hit-out of the year and I’m going to give him a little more time - same as I think Wakeham shows great potential but automatically throwing him in at 7 from Round 1 isn’t necessarily the right move either. Let’s see how next week goes against the Raiders before anyone gets too carried away.

Also - the ‘guaranteed start’ thing as far as I can tell was a media article. I haven’t seen Pay confirm he’s guaranteed to start at 7, have you?
I'm not just judging him off a trial, i'm judging him off years of seeing him play and what he can and can't do. The trial just highlighted his deficiencies once while showcasing what an actual halfback in Wakeham can provide for the side.

Why isn't throwing Wakeham in the right move? He's a halfback and Lewis isn't. Pretty clear cut. And yes, all reports have always been Lewis locked in at 7 with the other spot supposedly up for grabs.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ado car, Lewis swap would have been a blessing..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not just judging him off a trial, i'm judging him off years of seeing him play and what he can and can't do. The trial just highlighted his deficiencies once while showcasing what an actual halfback in Wakeham can provide for the side.

Why isn't throwing Wakeham in the right move? He's a halfback and Lewis isn't. Pretty clear cut. And yes, all reports have always been Lewis locked in at 7 with the other spot supposedly up for grabs.
Reports. You’re sounding like Brady.
Until Dean names the team for Round 1 let’s wait and see.

Years? He made his FG debut in 2018.
I understand how strongly you feel about this all I’m saying is it’s early days.

Wakeham will no doubt will get a shot this year. Just when we’ll wait and see. Remember that Nu Brown was no saviour either.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I understand how strongly you feel about this all I’m saying is it’s early days.

Wakeham will no doubt will get a shot this year. Just when we’ll wait and see. Remember that Nu Brown was no saviour either.
This is absolutely bizarre, you lot are absolutely fried. The amount of excuses to try and justify his selection and Wakeham non selection at the start of the season are just crazy. I'm fucking over this garbage.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

This is a direct quote from Lewis he is in the team in Round 1.

“There’s a huge opportunity for me and I’m loving that I have a position at the moment. All I’ve asked for is an opportunity and there’s one this year.”

Lewis is no fool though. He knows that his position in the squad isn’t cemented and he has to fight just us much as Cogger and Wakeham.

“Now that I’ve got the confidence of the coach and the squad I’ll get a Round 1 chance but I know that I can’t get comfortable in that spot, rugby league is cut throat and anything can happen.”

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is absolutely bizarre, you lot are absolutely fried. The amount of excuses to try and justify his selection and Wakeham non selection at the start of the season are just crazy. I'm fucking over this garbage.
I agree that Lewis is bog average but the fact that you get so riled up about it speaks volumes

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Classic. Just off a long flight so missed the action. 500+ Kennel meltdown messages (I’ve only seen a handful) with impending doom and calls to sack players and the coach. And we still won.

It’s a trial - first 80min of the year.
Let’s see how they go next week leading into Round 1 before anyone works themselves into too much of a lather :-).
Trial yes but very revealing. Bigger picture with what weve been hearing. Score doesnt matter.
Not all bad, some good individual performances. Napa looked fit and hungry, Katoa ok. Defence and attack first half average.
So important to have the 2nd trial next week. Coupled with this one, should give Pay and Co. a good indication of who starts when and where.
Think Spoonman posted a link a page back of the replay if you wanna watch.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Honestly it's just history repeating itself.. pay will try and shove a square into a space for a triangle.. and then come mid season we will be out of contention, he will make changes and we will have a good run home... And it's then the fans that suffer another finals less season.. knowing it could of been different.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Don’t know why - not like you’ve done your dough on a club membership :-).

Bottom line for me is I don’t believe in the ‘Pay’s Pet’s’ nonsense. Dean’s job is on the line this year - why would be go with anyone other than the 17 he believes can get the job done?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
This is a direct quote from Lewis he is in the team in Round 1.

“There’s a huge opportunity for me and I’m loving that I have a position at the moment. All I’ve asked for is an opportunity and there’s one this year.”

Lewis is no fool though. He knows that his position in the squad isn’t cemented and he has to fight just us much as Cogger and Wakeham.

“Now that I’ve got the confidence of the coach and the squad I’ll get a Round 1 chance but I know that I can’t get comfortable in that spot, rugby league is cut throat and anything can happen.”
‘Chance’
‘At the moment’
This is a kid who likes to talk.
Where is it stated by the coach or the club that he’s locked in 100% Round 1?
I haven’t seen it...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly it's just history repeating itself.. pay will try and shove a square into a space for a triangle.. and then come mid season we will be out of contention, he will make changes and we will have a good run home... And it's then the fans that suffer another finals less season.. knowing it could of been different.
Well if he does that he’ll likely find himself out of a job for 2021 so that would be pretty foolish if you ask me.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
‘Chance’
‘At the moment’
This is a kid who likes to talk.
Where is it stated by the coach or the club that he’s locked in 100% Round 1?
I haven’t seen it...
Twist it all you like he’s in the team. He says I have a position at the moment and he’s loving it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Twist it all you like he’s in the team. He says I have a position at the moment and he’s loving it.
I’m not twisting it nor am I suggesting he’s some sort of demigod. I just don’t get all the hate and the assumptions.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Probably because the other two play the same position and it might be a matter of them choosing either Cogger or Wakeham to pair, to which I would say it's Wakeham and then air and then Cogger

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because I'm sick of seeing us play like shit.
Too early to call, we finished last year strongly and have had Shifty about in the off season to give a few tips.
Lewis can kick and tackle, its a good start, will get better each year and will start ahead of Wakeham for a reason.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Too early to call, we finished last year strongly and have had Shifty about in the off season to give a few tips.
Lewis can kick and tackle, its a good start, will get better each year and will start ahead of Wakeham for a reason.
What reason?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don’t know why - not like you’ve done your dough on a club membership :-).

Bottom line for me is I don’t believe in the ‘Pay’s Pet’s’ nonsense. Dean’s job is on the line this year - why would be go with anyone other than the 17 he believes can get the job done?
Zzzzzz