Polly - One of the most underrated.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Totally agree. Was one of my favourites growing up. He was the total package.

If only he nailed that field goal against parra in the semi finals in 97...
Close enough was good enough that day.. Lol. If it wasn't for him we probably wouldn't have won that day as he was the leader in that come back and the rest is history.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He probably wasn't as naturally talented as your Stuart's and Langer's but he made up for it with his grit and determination. He had the heart of a lion.

He's not underrated for mine he's one of my favourite Bulldogs of all time.

It was a shame his career finished a bit earlier then it should have due to injury.
Underrated, not to us but the media... He, Hetho and Norton were great players that probably never got the accolades they deserved.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Underrated, not to us but the media... He, Hetho and Norton were great players that probably never got the accolades they deserved.
Travis Norton was sensational.
I used to love watching him play.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Travis Norton was sensational.
I used to love watching him play.
Yeah he should have stuck with the dogs and got himself a trophy in 2004 instead helped lead the Cowboys to defeat in 2005.

Can Also see a lot of Norts in Lewis if he can advance his running game.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I used to love watching Polly play back in he day,tough as nails and had a very good read of the game
He had great vision and could adapt change if needed depending on the situation at hand.
I never underrated him at all actually quite the opposite
Always thought he was our little champion that never gave up no matter what
Salute to CPM
Underrated in the sense if it wasn't for us nobody in the media would utter his name...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah he should have stuck with the dogs and got himself a trophy in 2004 instead helped lead the Cowboys to defeat in 2005.

Yeah, pity, another homesick canetoad...
I see what you mean re: Lewis - one of the reasons I’m keen to see how Lachy goes this year given his tough year last...

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I Loved Polly's never say die attitude. He would scrap over anything.

When I watch Cogger attack close to the line I see a lot of Polly in him, he reminds me so much of him.

Hopefully Cogger can improve his defense like Polly had to when he started. I remember at times they used to have Polly defend in the centre's to hide him from the big boppers.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Polly was one of my favourites too. I was at the game with my dad when he scored that last try on the video to win the match. It was well worth the soaking to watch that try alone. I don't recall too many other moments from that game but that try has stuck in my head pretty well since i was pretty young.

Yeah, pity, another homesick canetoad...
I see what you mean re: Lewis - one of the reasons I’m keen to see how Lachy goes this year given his tough year last...
I thought he was pushed out due to salary cap pressure. I may be wrong though. But it was a pity he didn't finish his career with us.

I Loved Polly's never say die attitude. He would scrap over anything.

When I watch Cogger attack close to the line I see a lot of Polly in him, he reminds me so much of him.

Hopefully Cogger can improve his defense like Polly had to when he started. I remember at times they used to have Polly defend in the centre's to hide him from the big boppers.
I don't really know who to compare Cogger with yet. He seems to be a thinker on the field. His kicking game probably tops anyone that we've had here in recent years and when he picks his moments to run it usually surprises the defense and has resulted in a few nice close range tries. I'm looking forward to seeing his progress this year.

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
Have to agree with most of the sentiments so far,a player that was way TOUGHER than his Rugby heritage would suggest.
One of my favourites from the 90's,and one of the few players for the Doggies that my Mrs. liked lol

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
You got a big mouth
You really did ask for it though, Lewis and Wakeham in the same list as Lamb, Sherwin and Polly. I thought it must be taking the piss though tbh.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have had some extremely underrated playmakers in recent history. One of them was shifty Sherwin who was shadowed in the media by Braith Anasta and the other has to be this nuggetty weapon who played alongside a great in T.Lamb.

For those that never watched him enjoy and for those that remember Polly, enjoy the flashbacks.

Graig Polla-Mounter one very underrated footy player.
Us Craig’s hate when people spell our name Graig

Big Owl

Waterboy
Reaction score
CPM had the most accurate kicking game in general play that I have ever seen. Guaranteed to land the ball on the opposing fullback's chest every time. I remember one time at Belmore the fullback was on the sideline receiving attention from the trainer and sure enough Polly found him.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Polly was awsome. That field goal that went under the post in Parra semi right on full time. I came in my pants. I thought it went over. Luckily the boys went on with it but was one of the best comebacks if not the best comeback by the dogs of all time.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Polly was one of my favourites too. I was at the game with my dad when he scored that last try on the video to win the match. It was well worth the soaking to watch that try alone. I don't recall too many other moments from that game but that try has stuck in my head pretty well since i was pretty young..
Was at that game too... Was sitting in the terraces with a friend and got absolutely drenched from head to toe whilst my old man was in the stands.. After FT met my old man at the gate and the look on his face was priceless... As u said, worth the soaking!

Miss Belmore.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Polly was awsome. That field goal that went under the post in Parra semi right on full time. I came in my pants. I thought it went over. Luckily the boys went on with it but was one of the best comebacks if not the best comeback by the dogs of all time.
<<<<<<<<< this moment!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I thought he was pushed out due to salary cap pressure. I may be wrong though. But it was a pity he didn't finish his career with us
You could be right mate, I don’t recall the specific circumstances regarding his exit but it’s possible given we went into 2004 with a quality (ultimately premiership) squad. I just remember he was great to watch and likely should’ve been a member of a 2002 premiership team as well, before another lot of duds in the board room deprived us of that.

PS - love hearing those stories of being worth copping a soaking to watch a win. Been there a few times myself over the years :-).

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Comparing Cogger to Polly is like comparing a Monaro to a Porsche....Polly showed talent over a long period of time , Cogger has shown nothing this far. The only thing comparable is their build.