[Match thread] Bulldogs 30 def Sharks 18

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Out of the younger players I thought Topine’s lack of size really showed but given his age it’s not that big of deal he will get bigger. Doorey looked strong running the ball. Tui Katoa looked dodgy under the highball but was ok everywhere else. Kalache did his job and the rest didn’t really get enough game time to show much.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Any thoughts on Okunbor saw one break?
Two knockons, but both were in a defense situation so perhaps excusable, though the first one was a genuine intercept chance that probably should have been taken. He ran hard, was excellent bringing the ball out of our half. His best run came when he jumped in on the back of a fast play the ball and found an offside player, probably the best sign of improvement visible from that play was that he actually hung onto the ball when two tacklers got him 10 from the line. Try to Harper came on the back of that. Took one or two good bombs in defense, was close to one or two in attack. Judging from the trial the coaching staff have spent time focusing his game on his strengths.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham DEFINITELY has the goods and doesn't look fazed at all. VERY impressive. Over to you Pay.

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Harper
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Cogger
7. Wakeham
8. Tolman
9. Katoa (JMK on return)
10. Napa
11. CHN
12. Jackson
13. To'omaga

14. Stimson
15. Britt
16. Ogden
17. Averillo

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Late 2nd half when Toomaga and Ogden started offloading and Wakeham and Bindi leading team around we looked so much more dangerous then Cogger and Lewis ever did...

If some of these youngsters get a go with a better coach then the future looks exciting.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Harper
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Cogger
7. Wakeham
8. Tolman
9. Katoa (JMK on return)
10. Napa
11. CHN
12. Jackson
13. To'omaga

14. Stimson
15. Britt
16. Ogden
17. Averillo
Katoa surely deserves a bench spot once JMK returns? He stood up tonight thats for sure.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Don't forget chn.. I believe he will be a leader this year..
I like the way he's progressing off the field. Genuine captain option post Jackson

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two knockons, but both were in a defense situation so perhaps excusable, though the first one was a genuine intercept chance that probably should have been taken. He ran hard, was excellent bringing the ball out of our half. His best run came when he jumped in on the back of a fast play the ball and found an offside player, probably the best sign of improvement visible from that play was that he actually hung onto the ball when two tacklers got him 10 from the line. Try to Harper came on the back of that. Took one or two good bombs in defense, was close to one or two in attack. Judging from the trial the coaching staff have spent time focusing his game on his strengths.
Thanks just couldn't get to see more than 5 mins before another freeze,

Hope we can see improvements from Smith at centre from everyones comments otherwise some hard selection decisions to be made.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Renouf improved out of sight the last four games last season and it's great to see him have a dominant display to start off the trials. If he plays 20 minutes a game again while Tolman and Napa play 60 each then he's mad...

As many of us have said all offseason, Wakeham is our best half and needs to start. I'm glad he played so well after starting off the bench.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My team
1)dwz
2)remis
3)hopper
4)harper
5)meany
6) wakeham
7)cogger (his defence needs to improve bigtime)
13) stimson
12)jacko
11)chn
10)naps
9)jmk
8)renouf
Bench-tols/rfm/elliott and ogden or katoa.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks just couldn't get to see more than 5 mins before another freeze,

Hope we can see improvements from Smith at centre from everyones comments otherwise some hard selection decisions to be made.
Smith is a quality player, but its going to come down to what the coaching staff decides they want in the centres. Smith and Harper present very different options.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Renoufs game has really got me excited for what he can do this year. He could really be a massive difference maker in our pack. Granted he was playing sub par opponents but his fitness looked great. Playing the full 80 in those conditions and finishing strong is a very promising.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If wakeham outplays Lewis next week as well he may be hard to leave out. Dont agree with your earlier comment that Pay would not play wakeham coz it might show him up, i doubt Pay makes decisions on players to protect his ego. Thats ridiculous. But agree today Wakeham was better.
It's true. Pay has shown that he will select who he wants and then give them every opportunity to justify selection. Harper looks miles better at centre than Smith yet I bet you Smith will still get the start there

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Katoa surely deserves a bench spot once JMK returns? He stood up tonight thats for sure.
Yeah the bench make up and rotation when JMK and RFM are fit will be interesting. Pay absolutely needs to get it right this year.
Don’t know what Stimson would offer coming off the bench and I hope he’s not played as a starter just to justify his signing.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My team
1)dwz
2)remis
3)hopper
4)harper
5)meany
6) wakeham
7)cogger (his defence needs to improve bigtime)
13) stimson
12)jacko
11)chn
10)naps
9)jmk
8)renouf
Bench-tols/rfm/elliott and ogden or katoa.
Agree with Cogger needed to improve in areas. Perfect example of his defence was on display tonight when Tracey scored... He hit the attacker front and yes he could have been more dominant, but that's where we need to be organised in defence as you could see the centre and winger were shitting themselves and everyone was backing off so no one was ever going to support each in a tackle. Jack won't shy away from contact ever, but he needs assistance he can't go at it alone.
Agree with Stimson in the middle, needs limited minutes as he doesn't look real fit ATM, disappointing as I wanted him on the edge

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Final score and scorers please
Bulldogs 30
(T: M Harper, D Napa, J Averillo, I Tass, T Katoa, R To'omaga; G: J Stimson 3)

Sharks 18
(T: B Trindall, S Katoa, W Kennedy, C Tracey; G: B Trindall 1)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
1. DWZ
2. Meaney
3. Harper
4. Hoppa
5. Smith
6. Cogger
7. Wakeham
8. Tolman
9. Katoa (JMK on return)
10. Napa
11. CHN
12. Jackson
13. To'omaga

14. Stimson
15. Britt
16. Ogden
17. Averillo
Stimson shouldn't be anywhere near the side, looks so far off the pace. Not much to disagree with other than that