Official A Personal Request from Lynne Anderson

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No doubt they are inflated. I just don't see much point in us just giving out the ticketed member numbers when most other clubs are doing whatever they can to inflate theirs. You have to fight fire with fire.
Sponsors look at game attendances and viewer numbers, I don't think they give a rats about membership numbers. In fact I know they don't, we only get asked for the brand recognition statistics, how often and for how long in each broadcast is their brand/name/logo able to be recognised.

Go Dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really good post mate and some great suggestions. Understand re: your location but a suggestion if I may - a Born and Bred Membership is a non-game attendance membership that costs $50 for the season, so you’d help get the ticker up by 1, it doesn’t cost the earth and perhaps gives you some value in being a member. Maybe you prefer to buy a jersey or something and that’s cool - would just be great for all our fans who aren’t currently members to help get the numbers up. Cheers.
I hear what your saying, and if the cub was struggling financially I would definitely sign up. But they're not, and my $50 will mean nothing.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I hear what your saying, and if the cub was struggling financially I would definitely sign up. But they're not, and my $50 will mean nothing.
Definitely not about the money mate - more about the member numbers, but no worries.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sponsors look at game attendances and viewer numbers, I don't think they give a rats about membership numbers. In fact I know they don't, we only get asked for the brand recognition statistics, how often and for how long in each broadcast is their brand/name/logo able to be recognised.

Go Dogs
Our viewing numbers are pretty horrific too so it's no surprise we are struggling for that major sponsor.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Much like the Wabbits, Parramatta count EVERYTHING in their memberships, pets, babies, toddlers etc. Plus anyone who buys a one game ticket is also included as a member, and if you buy 2 one game tickets separately you get counted twice. Another plus, anyone who joins and buys a ticket to their one game in NT is also counted as a member. There were 5,400 in attendance at the NT game last year, how many were "members" I don't know. As a result their membership numbers are very much inflated.

Go Dogs
Is this really the case? Someone suggested that its tied in with ticketed.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like @TwinTurbo suggested, do membership numbers even matter? And the club is not a charity, you buy a membership to have something in return, and theres not much that I will get for $50!! I have 2 stubby coolers, a number of different jerseys, a key ring, sticker on my car, so what more will i get for my money? A warm fuzzy feeling?
I appreciate your effort to convince me, but it's just not logical. However, if you consider my initial posts suggestions, if I had a chance to win a signed jersey, or a meet and greet or whatever, then it would be worth it for sure!!
Maybe you should suggest it to the club.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like @TwinTurbo suggested, do membership numbers even matter? And the club is not a charity, you buy a membership to have something in return, and theres not much that I will get for $50!! I have 2 stubby coolers, a number of different jerseys, a key ring, sticker on my car, so what more will i get for my money? A warm fuzzy feeling?
I appreciate your effort to convince me, but it's just not logical. However, if you consider my initial posts suggestions, if I had a chance to win a signed jersey, or a meet and greet or whatever, then it would be worth it for sure!!
It all depends on the situation if the club was balls to wall then memberships would be vital but the club would probably operate in the exact same way if they didn't get a dollar from memberships.

That's why I thought the club never really put much effort into the membership side of things.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will add though when I was asked to on pick my favourite player it still have me options of Klemmer, brown etc.... bit poor

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think Turbo was quoting in the context of securing a major sponsor, but nonetheless it's cool.
I'm not a member to gain anything, to me it's formalising my support of the club, but I'm also at most games every year, so although I don't consider that ROI, I guess it is.
Appreciate that you feel differently and no issue.
Yes, I will pass your suggestions to the club, absolutely.
Cheers mate.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how many members we had after 2004.
I will add though when I was asked to on pick my favourite player it still have me options of Klemmer, brown etc.... bit poor
Agreed, the marketing team needs an overhaul. Last years calendar still had Klemmer on it.
Need to find someone that understand us as a club and preferably bleeds blue & white instead of some kid straight out of uni with a degree and some energy.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many members we had after 2004.
It would have only been around 5k. Memberships have only been a relatively new thing in NRL they used to just be called a season ticket. I remember the club wanted 10k members by 2010.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It would have only been around 5k. Memberships have only been a relatively new thing in NRL they used to just be called a season ticket. I remember the club wanted 10k members by 2010.
Like you said earlier, tv rights pay for our salary cap, and then some expenses, and game attendances and merchandise likely pay for the rest. So how important are memberships?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like you said earlier, tv rights pay for our salary cap, and then some expenses, and game attendances and merchandise likely pay for the rest. So how important are memberships?
Well I guess it’s less money the Leagues Club has to shell out the more members we have. We were $4 million in the red last year without the Leagues Club grant. It’s not really a good thing that we have lost 5k-10k people that were willing to buy memberships in 2015 and now they are not.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
End of the day the footy club has a responsibility to run the business as independently as it can from the leagues club irrespective of the grant.
So any and all revenues they would consider to be valuable - no doubt sponsors and a major partner being the key revenue sources.
But if you have say 10k members paying an average of $150/year, that's $1.5m - if we have 20k members, well, you can do the maths - it's nothing to sneeze at and hence why members are always welcomed.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ill sign up again on monday id stopped being a member in protest of how the club was headed in the past but im confident with the direction the new board is headed and feel they have the clubs interests at heart.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Man we have a lot of fair weather fans, much like the Wanderers. I just drove near the Stadium and theres bugger all fans because the Wanderers are going shit.

Same as us, people only sign up when we are winning. It is sad. I will admit I downgraded my membership as I can't get to as many games anymore, but I am still a member. Something like 9 years in a row now.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Win or lose,semi finals or no semi finals,I always have my tickets,2 platinum tickets,best seats in the house works out at $30 a seat,going to a great cause,my beloved blue&white,so get in there and be a real supporter,don't just come out when we're winning..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well I guess it’s less money the Leagues Club has to shell out the more members we have. We were $4 million in the red last year without the Leagues Club grant. It’s not really a good thing that we have lost 5k-10k people that were willing to buy memberships in 2015 and now they are not.
I'm not saying its unimportant, I'm asking how important it is? @DinkumDog same goes. I'm not suggesting people dont sign up, I'm just suggesting that if it means so much, then perhaps the club should try a little harder to engage its fanbase and make it hard for them to not renew their memberships. As it stands, we are losing way more games then we win and the club seems to not understand why our membership has dwindled.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not saying its unimportant, I'm asking how important it is? @DinkumDog same goes. I'm not suggesting people dont sign up, I'm just suggesting that if it means so much, then perhaps the club should try a little harder to engage its fanbase and make it hard for them to not renew their memberships. As it stands, we are losing way more games then we win and the club seems to not understand why our membership has dwindled.
Responded above re: importance/value.
Yes, no doubt the club can make improvements in areas you've mentioned and I've passed this information along to them previously.
Pretty sure they're clued into decreased members and how that correlates to on field results. Hopefully we see both of those improve this year.

Last edited: