Official Uncle Wayne Retiring after 2 more seasons

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/so...u-to-take-over-from-2022-20200220-p542sd.html

Next year will officially be Wayne Bennett’s last as head coach of South Sydney.

Bennett’s assistant, Jason Demetriou, has agreed to a new four-year deal that will result in him succeeding Bennett from 2022. Currently serving as an assistant to the seven-time premiership coach, Demetriou has been anointed as the man to lead the Rabbitohs into the future.

While he won’t be coaching South Sydney beyond next year, Bennett’s next move is unclear. The 70-year-old could take up a head of football role at Souths or another club or even further add to his incredible coaching tally, which stands at 836 NRL games.

The former Australian and England coach is also an obvious target if a second Brisbane franchise is given an NRL license ahead of the next broadcasting deal. The former Broncos, Knights, Raiders and Dragons coach has already set a slew of records unlikely to be surpassed and may decide to end his illustrious career once his Souths deal expires.

Demetriou’s ascension to the top job is just one of the intriguing power shifts at South Sydney. The Rabbitohs board reportedly discussed the prospect of parting company with general manager Shane Richardson, only for co-owner Russell Crowe to step in and save his position.

Regardless of the backroom power plays, Demetriou should have a strong squad at his disposal once he becomes head coach. Jai Arrow will join the Rabbitohs from next year, superstars Latrell Mitchell and Cameron Murray should be in their prime and teenage fullback Joseph Suaalii - considered one of the best prospects of his generation - will be ready to contend for a first-grade spot.

The Rabbitohs will take on Parramatta in a trial match at Ringrose Oval on Friday night.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne is on the wane imo. His tenure as England coach was a disaster as was his last seasons at the Broncos and he's won 1 finals match in I think 3 years.

He lost his "man of integrity" aura when he dumped his long term wife for some skanky secretary.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toddy will make sure they win a grand final before Uncle Skeletor retires. He's already started helping with the 'retirements' of Inglis and Burgess.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At least he'll always have Darius to give him foot rubs and change his adult nappy.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wayne is on the wane imo. His tenure as England coach was a disaster as was his last seasons at the Broncos and he's won 1 finals match in I think 3 years.

He lost his "man of integrity" aura when he dumped his long term wife for some skanky secretary.
He also displayed some of his integrity when he walked out on the Knights when things got tough there due to their financial issues (Tinkler renigging on his promised funding). Almost every success he's had in coaching has coincided with having a roster that is overflowing with talent. Even his premiership at the Dragons was with a pretty strong roster and it's probably the least talented roster that he's won with. He's a coach that pretty much simplifies the job for players, but if he lacks a few key players that provide the creativity, he's not innovative in any way.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really, two more seasons. He already looks like a reanimated skeleton who can bearly keep he's eyes open during games and starts drooling in press conferences

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Uncle or great grandfather lol...

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone bags Wayne.. hes still in the top few coaches In the rugby league world..

I can see him winning the comp at Souths in next 2 years..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone bags Wayne.. hes still in the top few coaches In the rugby league world..

I can see him winning the comp at Souths in next 2 years..

reckon? I think they are about to start heading.... South... Everything for them was centred around the Burgess brothers, and I think they will struggle defensively with a lot of new faces, Latrell and Roberts' laziness, and Walker's poor reads

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
reckon? I think they are about to start heading.... South... Everything for them was centred around the Burgess brothers, and I think they will struggle defensively with a lot of new faces, Latrell and Roberts' laziness, and Walker's poor reads
Lol exactly the reason they will do well.. Watch the laziness and inconsistency improve in Latrells Roberts & Walkers game.. Add the top players Wayne has attracted this year and next.. they are on the up and will give it a massive shake next 2 years..

I see them winning in it or going very close next 2 years.. thats what a good coach combined with good players can do..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol exactly the reason they will do well.. Watch the laziness and inconsistency improve in Latrells Roberts & Walkers game.. Add the top players Wayne has attracted this year and next.. they are on the up and will give it a massive shake next 2 years..

I see them winning in it or going very close next 2 years.. thats what a good coach combined with good players can do..

Wayne is known to be a lot more laid back in his approach to lazy or troubled players.. Roberts has always been able to go missing during his time playing under Wayne at both Brisbane and Souths. Wayne's success has always been with stacked asf teams, but Souths are about half and half

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wayne had some of the greatest halves in the game to run the show for him in Langer, Walters, Lockyer and was lucky Melbourne were disqualified in 2010.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
About time .!!!

long successful career.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wayne is known to be a lot more laid back in his approach to lazy or troubled players.. Roberts has always been able to go missing during his time playing under Wayne at both Brisbane and Souths. Wayne's success has always been with stacked asf teams, but Souths are about half and half
Wayne appwars laid back.. but what ive heard from our ex players is players just have alot of respect for him, they do fear him and they dont want to let him down..

For that reason i predict he will get the best out of Roberts, Mitchell and co..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wayne appwars laid back.. but what ive heard from our ex players is players just have alot of respect for him, they do fear him and they dont want to let him down..

For that reason i predict he will get the best out of Roberts, Mitchell and co..

see what happens I guess.. we haven't seen a great team under Wayne in a very long time and I personally don't see it with this Souths team who were embarrassed the minute they played a good team in the semis this yr

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Succession plans are a good idea in business... in theory. But in sport, they seem to be fraught with danger. I don't see Wayne making it to September 2021.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
This younger bloke will take over

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score