News Why your team will do better in 2020: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Okunbor stops coming in of his wing but I doubt he will, hasn't won me over yet and needs to improve his defence ten fold.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good point, and Nope but still hopeful. the second game was looking like last year. But I guess pay wanted give everyone a run to see where they are at. As I say, will wait an see how it goes before we really get a handle on things.
2/4 is par for the course

2/7 like the last two seasons is unacceptable

Our draw to start the season is infinitely better than any draw we have had in at least last 5 years.

- First 6 games in Sydney
- 2 ‘away’ games either ANZ or BankWest
- 3 home games
- No Storm or Melbourne

Simply we need to get out of the blocks quick

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Our draw to start the season is infinitely better than any draw we have had in at least last 5 years.

- 3 home games
- No Storm or Melbourne

No Storm or Melbourne hey? No Easts or Roosters either!

Agree we've got about the best draw we could hope for and there's definitely no excuses available in that area

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What did u get from the second game at the nines? Still thinking top 8?
Nothing, we fielded a 3rd string side with a legend at dummy half and the Sharks played their best available. Nothing to be gained from that.

Go Dogs

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

- 3 home games
- No Storm or Melbourne

Indeed we do mate! Indeed we do.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could 2020 be just as exciting as 2021 without the salary cap restrictions?
I think so, plenty of heart in the current squad and if the wet blanket mutha fookers are deleted from the equation we might get some winning consistency.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
New season...New hopes !
But...Reality is what it is...
We have a team that showed some great courage at seasons end last year, a team that is badly lacking on true quality in the most important positions.
High hopes I have but not many expectations unless a miracle happens in the shape of two or three young players rising to stardom filling the void that is in the team.
Courage alone will only take us so far.
We have too many problems needing fixing to be able to match it with the Leading teams.
The team is lacking on marquee players
The coach is yet to prove he could rise to the expectations required
No major sponsor
Very low TPAs
Topped by one of the lowest memberships in the NRL.
Don't despair...It will all be fixed if we win games !

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: Dinkum dog 1. I never said 2 weeks I said it coming soon. 2. Calm dog and stop being aggressive 3. I’ve said too much and have already changed the future .
4. Good things are coming
5. Your not a bulldogs a supporter , blow in

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: Dinkum dog 1. I never said 2 weeks I said it coming soon. 2. Calm dog and stop being aggressive 3. I’ve said too much and have already changed the future .
Who do you think you're?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
New season...New hopes !
But...Reality is what it is...
We have a team that showed some great courage at seasons end last year, a team that is badly lacking on true quality in the most important positions.
High hopes I have but not many expectations unless a miracle happens in the shape of two or three young players rising to stardom filling the void that is in the team.
Courage alone will only take us so far.
We have too many problems needing fixing to be able to match it with the Leading teams.
The team is lacking on marquee players
The coach is yet to prove he could rise to the expectations required
No major sponsor
Very low TPAs
Topped by one of the lowest memberships in the NRL.
Don't despair...It will all be fixed if we win games !
I believe the latter part of last season showed more self belief than raw courage. They actually believed that they could win games and best anyone. As a team and that takes time especially with young and inexperienced players. They are another year older and many have 2/3/4 times as many NRL games experience.

it depends on ones definition of “marquee” but my view is that Foran, Jackson, DWZ, Hopoate, Smith and CHN are our marquee players. Not for this season but for 2021 we already have Thompson to add to that list. For sure we need a number of the developing players to step up this year and cement their NRL futures. Players like RFM, JMK, Harper, Cogger, Lewis, Meaney etc, this is their year and none of them can afford to let it slip by. I expect some will shine and others will fade away into non contract renewal. That’s what makes this season so interesting.

Coach wise, who knows, what I do know is that I was pleasantly surprised by the way he lifted the team up from the despairs of the first half of the season. Got them playing together and more importantly playing for each other. It would have been easy for them to give up, the season was gone, nothing to play for and yet they didn’t, that required good coaching. A simple and obvious example, scramble defence, they all put in the extra effort to cover any front line defence lapses. A lot of credit should go to DWZ for his organisation, it’s one of things that makes him marquee in my eyes.

On TPA’s, there are other teams with less in TPA’s than we have, so I don’t place a lot of credence in that being an issue. Major sponsor, nice to have but for us not that big a deal as we have a profitable leagues club behind us and a full kit of support sponsors. Melbourne don’t have a major sponsor in a one NRL team city, are we writing them off too?

Lowest membership, considering that we lose our home ground half way through the season I don’t find that very surprising. Plus we are over 10k now and we have always tended to have late surges in membership. But, again not a big deal, as we are guaranteed payments from both grounds, regardless of how many spectators actually attended. Of course being constantly tipped for the wooden spoon doesn’t help, by the very same “experts” who got it so very wrong last year.

Absolutely, starting the season off by being competitive will make a lot of difference to the players confidence and may lift the membership a little. But it won’t have any effect on much else. A bonus, we have some cap space available and recruiting for this season is far from over. Landing another like DWZ last year would be handy.

As always
Go Dogs

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about Lewis throwing cut out passes over the sideline but how many did he actually do last year?
People tend to recall all the mistakes, and forget the successes if they are seeking to criticise. It's the reverse if it's a player they like.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
People tend to recall all the mistakes, and forget the successes if they are seeking to criticise. It's the reverse if it's a player they like.
Exactly mate and then crickets when they are asked to clarify

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly mate and then crickets when they are asked to clarify
It's how so-called Psychics rip off people's money. The audience remembers the two or three vague hits, and forget the 30 or 40 total misses. Human nature works that way.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Really?
3.png
2.png
Appreciate the positivity champ - I'm positive on the club too, but some accuracy wouldn't go astray with your posts bud.
As for questioning my being a supporter - when you've been going to games consistently for 40 years maybe you can question the commitment of others. Until then...

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I love this time of year on the kennel.

So much hope and positivity.

Then round 5 will come.... and meltdowns begin loll
I just wish Pay would stop referring the team as "kids". And banging on about us having the youngest squad. That was last years excuse. They're young men...FFS treat them like it! You watch them shine !!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just wish Pay would stop referring the team as "kids". And banging on about us having the youngest squad. That was last years excuse. They're young men...FFS treat them like it! You watch them shine !!
I'm 71 - from my perspective, they're kids.They still have a lot of earning to do.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd really love to see okunbur have a breakout season. If he can get his defensive reads sorted and learn to catch, he will be an absolute weapon.

Semi was shit in his first year at Parramatta, so who knows.
Positive thinking but I can’t see it.