Four dead after ‘horrific’ car fire in Brisbane

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hannah Baxter dies after suffering burns in horrific Brisbane car fire

FEBRUARY 19, 202011:21pm

Ex-NRL player Rowan Baxter and his three children have died in a car fire in a “horrific incident” on a Brisbane street this morning.

The mother of three young children who died in a horrific car fire on Tuesday has also died of her injuries.

Hannah Baxter, 31, succumbed to her injuries at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital early this evening, Queensland Police said.

Ms Baxter was in a car with her three children, Laianah, 6, Aaliyah, 4, and Trey, 3, around 8:30am this morning when she was reportedly approached by Rowan Baxter, 42 in Raven St in Camp Hill.

Mr Baxter – her husband with whom she owned a gym and had three children – reportedly approached the vehicle, dousing her in petrol before stabbing himself.

The two girls aged six and four along with a three-year-old boy were found dead inside the car, police said. Mr Baxter, 42, was also pronounced dead earlier today.

‘HE’S POURED PETROL ON ME’

Hannah and Rowan Baxter were reportedly undergoing a separation, with Nine News reporting Ms Baxter and her three children had been staying with her parents in Camp Hill.

Eyewitness Aaron Snell told The Courier MailMr Baxter was in “all manner of states’ and jumped into the flaming car to grab a knife while bystanders tried to help.

Mrs Baxter managed to get out from the car and was hosed down by neighbours who worked with fire extinguishers and a garden hose to put out the flames.

Mr Snell said the heroic acts were met with anger by Mr Baxter who was “protesting to stop putting it out.”

One resident told The Australian a woman was heard yelling: “He’s poured petrol on me.”

Other witnesses said Ms Baxter, who was wearing activewear, was rolling on the footpath, while “four other explosions” were heard from the car.

“She was awake and conscious and completely aware of what had happened,” one neighbour said.

“Skin was peeling off her, and she held her hands up … bits were hanging off. It was really quite horrific.”

Family friend Brian Cavanagh said the incident was “beyond comprehension”.

“I couldn’t figure out how come Hannah was in the car with him,” he said.

Nine News also reported Mr Baxter had bought a jerry can of petrol at a local station earlier.

Police and emergency services were horrified by the tragic scene with first responders given counselling and the rest of the day off.

Detective Inspector Mark Thompson said it was too early to comment on how the fire started.

“How the fire actually occurred has not been ascertained at the moment, so for us to call it a murder-suicide or a tragic accident, it’s inappropriate at this stage,” he said.

“I’ve seen some horrific scenes – this is up there with some of the best of them.

“It’s a terrible thing to be presented with.”

Mr Thompson said the car was “fully emerged in fire” when police arrived on the scene.

“It’s a horrific scene. It would be a horrific thing for emergency services, police, fire and ambulances to deal with in the coming days,” he said.

In the lead up to the tragedy Mr Baxter, who was a CrossFit coach and was previously named in the New Zealand Warriors squad, had posted loving messages to his children online.

“T-R-E-Y. Love you to the moon and back #daddy,” Baxter posted on Facebook last week, with a photo of his smiling son.

Another photo of Baxter cradling his young baby was captioned, “Goodnight my babies. Daddy loves you.”

Photos show the fitness-focused family doing handstands at their gym, where Ms Baxter taught children’s CrossFit classes.

“My wife does a brilliant job with the kiddies,” Baxter wrote last September, sharing a post from the gym’s Facebook page.

Hannah Baxter had also posted loving tributes to her children. On Instagram, Ms Baxter described herself as a “proud mumma” and listed her interests as fitness and healthy eating.

“In love with my 2 little princesses and little prince,” her private profile read.

She had shared numerous pictures of her children online, including one of her son Trey from January 8, captioned “my main man.”

‘MY HEART IS BROKEN’

A friend of Ms Baxter’s, Katie Stewart, wrote on Facebook: “My heart is broken today!”

“Things like this just shouldn’t be able to happen to anyone, let alone someone you know, someone you call your friend, someone you’ve watched grow up to be a lovely athlete, a beautiful smiley woman and a spectacular mother!

“My heart is breaking for everyone who knew her and her precious babies but especially the Clarke family.”

Local councillor Fiona Cunningham said she was “absolutely devastated”.

“Our children are so precious and this is just another reminder to hug them tight and treasure every moment spent with them,” she said in a tribute posted on Facebook.

“Rest in peace little angels.”

Police will now investigate the cause of the horrific incident and have already been searching Mr Baxter’s house for clues as to his state of mind.

Where to find help

If you or someone you know is experiencing sexual abuse or family violence contact 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732

Don't go it alone. Please reach out for help by contacting Lifeline on 13 11 14

Men who have anger, relationship or parenting issues, should contact the Men's Referral Service on 1300 766 491

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just another reminder that the devil lives amongst us disguised as one of us. Look out for each other and if you have even an inkling that someone you know can do bad things like this, don't sit back and do nothing.

Those poor poor children.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Wahesh

Reaction score
Fuck, didn't realise she was in the car with the poor kids.

I bet even atheists want to believe in hell for this demon piece of shit.
Well if they simply think that nothing else happens after life (given what this scumbag did) they are completely delusional.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Well if they simply think that nothing else happens after life (given what this scumbag did) they are completely delusional.
I hope the **** is bent over and coping it up the arse in hell the demon ****.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I know a few of you guys have had bad experiences yourselves and been badly done by and feel you haven't got justice in the courts. As a woman I have gained a lot from reading most of these views put here.

But could we have a sensible discussion of working towards a solution. No one believes torching your kids is justifiable.

If you are a brain dead macho woman hater, pls don't respond here. There's plenty of FB pages.

I'm in Qld. We are devastated with this news and it would be helpful if society could come together to find solutions. That's the priority.

There is more and more information coming out about this man and his aggressive behaviour and our police are under heavy critiscism for their prior knowledge of him and their lack of action against him. Now by saying they are keeping on open mind on why he did this, they are under attack from womens DV groups.

Does anyone have some constructive ideas going forward.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...mind-comment-on-of-hannah-clarke-and-children

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know a few of you guys have had bad experiences yourselves and been badly done by and feel you haven't got justice in the courts. As a woman I have gained a lot from reading most of these views put here.

But could we have a sensible discussion of working towards a solution. No one believes torching your kids is justifiable.

If you are a brain dead macho woman hater, pls don't respond here. There's plenty of FB pages.

I'm in Qld. We are devastated with this news and it would be helpful if society could come together to find solutions. That's the priority.

There is more and more information coming out about this man and his aggressive behaviour and our police are under heavy critiscism for their prior knowledge of him and their lack of action against him. Now by saying they are keeping on open mind on why he did this, they are under attack from womens DV groups.

Does anyone have some constructive ideas going forward.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...mind-comment-on-of-hannah-clarke-and-children

unfortunately there are many ticking time bombs around like him and it's only a matter of time.. the way our legal system deals with violent and abusive offenders is an absolute joke if you ask me and I know that we could never completely stamp it out, but if they start giving proper punishments to these people before they go too far, many lives can be saved

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
unfortunately there are many ticking time bombs around like him and it's only a matter of time.. the way our legal system deals with violent and abusive offenders is an absolute joke if you ask me and I know that we could never completely stamp it out, but if they start giving proper punishments to these people before they go too far, many lives can be saved
Apparently previously he kidnapped one of the children and was stalking and injured the mother. The question is what does the legal system do? Go through the legal process of fairness to both parties but all along one is violent and then kills.

The cop who was a major part of the investigation has been taken off the case. His comments were shocking really. Innocent kids murdered. No one drove the father to do that.

https://m.noosanews.com.au/news/cops-killer-comments-sparks-outrage/3949670/

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apparently previously he kidnapped one of the children and was stalking and injured the mother. The question is what does the legal system do? Go through the legal process of fairness to both parties but all along one is violent and then kills.

The cop who was a major part of the investigation has been taken off the case. His comments were shocking really. Innocent kids murdered. No one drove the father to do that.

https://m.noosanews.com.au/news/cops-killer-comments-sparks-outrage/3949670/
So fucked.. Not sure what can be done because obviously something like an AVO is essentially useless... I mean ultimately they should be either locked up, or have no access to the victim... how to achieve the latter is anybodies guess, especially when there are children involved!

Wahesh

Reaction score
So fucked.. Not sure what can be done because obviously something like an AVO is essentially useless... I mean ultimately they should be either locked up, or have no access to the victim... how to achieve the latter is anybodies guess, especially when there are children involved!
I'd say proximity bracelet. Something like the father has to stay 200m away from them. If he gets within range, the bracelet goes off and starts omitting electric-shocks into him and/or alert police at the same time.