Movie Discussion

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
American Ultra

Everything about this movie says it should be terrible. Two terrible main actors, a stereotypical spy plot, low budget setting. But honestly, I absolutely loved it.

First word of advice though, don't read the synopsis before you watch the movie. It gives away much of the movie and it's probably part of why it got such terrible reviews.

Here's my own synopsis without spoilers...
A small town stoner and comic book artist just wants to propose to his girlfriend and leave the town, but everytime he tries to leave his anxiety gets the better of him. The main problem, it turns out that he's a CIA sleeper agent, part of an MK Ultra program. And the CIA want him dead.

The movie is quite ridiculous. It's mostly comedy, but brutally violent and really entertaining.

9/10

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Will put up full reviews later but here's some brief takes on movies I've recently seen on flights:

Uncut Gems - I know many here loved this film but 8 hated it. It was probably due to the mood I was in at the time but I found it just depressing and uncomfortable to watch

Horse Girl - interesting idea but poor execution. The main star (Alison Brie) is excellent and it has everything to make a good film but I just couldn't get into it. I also won't say much about it as I know some people will actually enjoy it and it's very easy to ruin the movie but I'll just say this. It's similar to Donnie Darko and tackles issues of mental health

Zombieland: Double Tap - I put off watching this as I fully expected it to ruin the first movie, but it was the complete opposite. Start to finish I absolutely loved it. At least twice as good as the original

There's other movies I watched too but I just can't remember them right now.
I loved the first Zombieland, but the second one not so much. Still enjoyed it though.

I thonk my favourite part was right at the end with Bill Murray when they show the initial zombie outbreak. “I ain’t afraid of no ghosts”

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I loved the first Zombieland, but the second one not so much. Still enjoyed it though.

I thonk my favourite part was right at the end with Bill Murray when they show the initial zombie outbreak. “I ain’t afraid of no ghosts”
I enjoyed them both. Two of my favourite zombie movies really. The ditzy blonde was annoying at times, but it fit in with the plot. The only disappointment was that after naming a few different zombie types at the beginning, they didn't really show them all in action.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
132A50D7-A35B-446F-9434-2B2447CA8466.jpeg

Dr. Sleep is the sequel to the 1980 movie The Shinning. Each movie was based on the two novels, of the same name, penned by the ultra prolific, and brilliant author, Stephen King. Like the two books, there was a substantial gap between the movies, this is echoed in the time period, as we pick up the story set predominantly 40 years later after the terrifying events at the Overlook Hotel. After a brief visit with Danny Torrence, still haunted by the evil spirits from the Hotel, and his mother, Wendy Torrence, a few months after Jack Torrence’s rampage, the movie focuses on a middle-aged Danny. An alcoholic, like his father had been, he drifts from town to town, trying to forget the past, as well as his ability to Shine, which can be best described as a powerful ESP. However, his Shine is awoken again by a girl, Abra, who possesses a powerful ability to use the Shine, and reveals to him a threat to people who possess this gift.

Danny Torrence is played by Ewen McGregor, who puts in a great performance. He certainly projects a man tormented by his history, and man trying to feel normal. McGregor is well supported by Kyliegh Curren who plays the young Abra. The rest of the cast is great, and certainly propel the story forward, making an almost three hour movie go along at a nice pace.

An interesting point to note, is King was really happy with how Dr. Sleep turned out, which was his opposite reaction to the Shinning. As a fan of the Shinning, both movie, and novel, I was sceptical of a sequel. After reading Dr. Sleep, and watching the movie, my fears were allayed. The movie, although not reaching the psychological terror of its predecessor, it is a worthy follow up, with chills and thrills to keep you watching.

7.5/10

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 13169

Dr. Sleep is the sequel to the 1980 movie The Shinning. Each movie was based on the two novels, of the same name, penned by the ultra prolific, and brilliant author, Stephen King. Like the two books, there was a substantial gap between the movies, this is echoed in the time period, as we pick up the story set predominantly 40 years later after the terrifying events at the Overlook Hotel. After a brief visit with Danny Torrence, still haunted by the evil spirits from the Hotel, and his mother, Wendy Torrence, a few months after Jack Torrence’s rampage, the movie focuses on a middle-aged Danny. An alcoholic, like his father had been, he drifts from town to town, trying to forget the past, as well as his ability to Shine, which can be best described as a powerful ESP. However, his Shine is awoken again by a girl, Abra, who possesses a powerful ability to use the Shine, and reveals to him a threat to people who possess this gift.

Danny Torrence is played by Ewen McGregor, who puts in a great performance. He certainly projects a man tormented by his history, and man trying to feel normal. McGregor is well supported by Kyliegh Curren who plays the young Abra. The rest of the cast is great, and certainly propel the story forward, making an almost three hour movie go along at a nice pace.

An interesting point to note, is King was really happy with how Dr. Sleep turned out, which was his opposite reaction to the Shinning. As a fan of the Shinning, both movie, and novel, I was sceptical of a sequel. After reading Dr. Sleep, and watching the movie, my fears were allayed. The movie, although not reaching the psychological terror of its predecessor, it is a worthy follow up, with chills and thrills to keep you watching.

7.5/10
I really liked the book and am looking forward to watching this.

Mike flanagan adapts King's work really well imo

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I really liked the book and am looking forward to watching this.

Mike flanagan adapts King's work really well imo
I haven’t come across Flanagan’s King stuff..but he did a fine job..truly. IMO Darabont has done a stellar job too. His ‘Shawshank Redemption’, actually improved on King’s novella I reckon by a mile..speaking of mile (Lol) His Green Mile was excellent, and The Mist not too bad either.
I hope you enjoy Dr. Sleep when you watch it.. I found it a great watch!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
One more thing @The_Chimpster it successfully ties Kubrick’s and King’s vision together.. And the credit for
that goes directly to Flanagan’s direction and screenplay..superb!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
American Ultra

Everything about this movie says it should be terrible. Two terrible main actors, a stereotypical spy plot, low budget setting. But honestly, I absolutely loved it.

First word of advice though, don't read the synopsis before you watch the movie. It gives away much of the movie and it's probably part of why it got such terrible reviews.

Here's my own synopsis without spoilers...
A small town stoner and comic book artist just wants to propose to his girlfriend and leave the town, but everytime he tries to leave his anxiety gets the better of him. The main problem, it turns out that he's a CIA sleeper agent, part of an MK Ultra program. And the CIA want him dead.

The movie is quite ridiculous. It's mostly comedy, but brutally violent and really entertaining.

9/10
I actually liked it considering I can't stand Kristen Stewart at all in anything.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually liked it considering I can't stand Kristen Stewart at all in anything.
Pretty much my response. I don't like either of the actors but it was entertaining in spite of them.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty much my response. I don't like either of the actors but it was entertaining in spite of them.
Yeah it was definitely surprising as i had low expectations because of the main cast. I pleasantly had to eat my words.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone watch the South Korean movie, Parasite?

Watched it over the weekend. Won't go as far as saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, but it's a pretty damn good movie. I won't give any of the plot away, as I recommend going into this movie knowing nothing.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Anyone watch the South Korean movie, Parasite?

Watched it over the weekend. Won't go as far as saying it's the best thing since sliced bread, but it's a pretty damn good movie. I won't give any of the plot away, as I recommend going into this movie knowing nothing.
Looks like that's in cinemas now. I was actually hoping it would be on Netflix :(

Is it an action movie?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Nah, more a Dark Dramedy. That's all I can say! lol
Interesting. Well I guess it sounds unique lol. I haven't watched a foreign movie at the Cinemas since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a movie ...

but - the stranger on Netflix is a good pommy series. Actually it’s very good, best I’ve seen in a while.

Aladdin with Will Smith is good too, not a fan of will but he plays the gene part an it’s on point.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Sonic the Hedgehog was way better than I expected. Took my niece to watch it last week.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Sonic the Hedgehog was way better than I expected. Took my niece to watch it last week.
I wanna watch this but I won't at the cinema. I am very glad they took the time to make sonic look better.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sorry if its already been mentioned, but I saw this movie recently, and it was awesome!

The attention to detail is amazing, the camera style puts you right in the middle of it, the story is fantastic. It isn't a big shoot-em-up war flick, it doesn't glamourise war, but tells the real story, and is both painful and heart warming, with both shocking and tender moments. Incredible movie, one to see on the big screen.