News Josh Morris upset by Cronulla’s refusal to release him to join Roosters

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I go back my original question, are you OK with everyone (friends, family, neighbours, relatives, charities, knowing, enemies and co workers) knowing your salary? Because that's what you are demanding of players.

Go Dogs
I'm not a professional Rugby League player earning hundreds of thousands a year playing for a club that is a public entity who has tens of thousands of fans that all contribute financially to the club itself.

How can you not recognise the difference? If I were a player, I'd have no issue with my salary being published. The media reports figures anyway so most people have a general knowledge of a ballpark figure of what a player might earn anyway so what difference does giving the exact figure make?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not a professional Rugby League player earning hundreds of thousands a year playing for a club that is a public entity who has tens of thousands of fans that all contribute financially to the club itself.

How can you not recognise the difference? If I were a player, I'd have no issue with my salary being published. The media reports figures anyway so most people have a general knowledge of a ballpark figure of what a player might earn anyway so what difference does giving the exact figure make?
There is no difference, it's the same as if I'm paying your wages as a customer at a restaurant and you're a waiter, or a bartender at the club, or a teller at the bank. I'm paying your salary and I should be entitled to know how much you earn. Or if I'm a shareholder in a company, I own a piece of it so I should know every single employees' salary. Not just the Directors and top executives which are all that is published in the annual accounts, most often without their actual names, just job titles. Or if it's a government enterprise where as a tax payer I'm paying your salary. Just because someone plays football doesn't make them any more or less entitled to their income privacy as anyone else.

Go Dogs

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All I can do is LOL @ Josh Morris and the Sharks for this entire situation.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There is no difference, it's the same as if I'm paying your wages as a customer at a restaurant and you're a waiter, or a bartender at the club, or a teller at the bank. I'm paying your salary and I should be entitled to know how much you earn. Or if I'm a shareholder in a company, I own a piece of it so I should know every single employees' salary. Not just the Directors and top executives which are all that is published in the annual accounts, most often without their actual names, just job titles. Or if it's a government enterprise where as a tax payer I'm paying your salary. Just because someone plays football doesn't make them any more or less entitled to their income privacy as anyone else.

Go Dogs
It's not even close to being the same. Again, answer this simple question.. Why do the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, EPL, La Liga and every other major sporting competition make salaries and figures public and the NRL don't?

Those competitions want as much transparency as possible to prevent conspiracy theories and speculation and so that they can better police their salary caps.

You're turning an industry standard into nonsense about civil rights and invasion of privacy and comparing it to waiters, bank tellers and bartenders which makes zero sense and which is a poor analogy.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not even close to being the same. Again, answer this simple question.. Why do the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, EPL, La Liga and every other major sporting competition make salaries and figures public and the NRL don't?
Those competitions want as much transparency as possible to prevent conspiracy theories and speculation and so that they can better police their salary caps.
You're turning an industry standard into nonsense about civil rights and invasion of privacy and comparing it to waiters, bank tellers and bartenders which makes zero sense and which is a poor analogy.
Hardly, the NRL minimum is ~$110k PA which is hardly big dollars, plenty of waiters, bartenders and bank tellers earn similar or more if they are good at their profession. Do you really want teenagers having their salaries exposed for all to see?

A quote from 2018;
LeBron James has hired a team of armed guards to protect his Brentwood mansion in Los Angeles, according to TMZ. The move for the new Laker comes in the wake of police arresting three teenagers suspected of burglarizing the homes of at least two dozen celebrities including Rams receiver Robert Woods, Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig, and Rihanna. When the suspects were arrested, police found a list of names of future targets such as James, Matt Damon, and Viola Davis.
A hit list of the higher paid NRL players for thieves to target, yep sounds like something we would want here.

Obviously LeBron earns a whole lot more than the best NRL player, but he earns more of it from off the court endorsements (TPA's in NRL speak) then he earns from playing.

I'm not sure how publishing players salaries makes it easier to police salary caps. The NRL already knows exactly how much each players contract is worth as they have to be registered with the NRL before they can play. So the Cap auditors have all of the information necessary to audit against. Publishing them publicly would be of no help in that regard.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: ‘It’s not about the money, it’s about playing with my brother’: Josh Morris finally breaks his silence

Champion centre Josh Morris has broken his silence about why he wants a release from the Cronulla Sharks to join twin brother Brett at the Sydney Roosters effective immediately.

In an exclusive interview with Fox Sports, Morris stipulated he could understand Sharks fans being angry and had nothing against the Cronulla playing group.

But his position hasn’t changed about wanting to join the back-to-back premiers to play left centre alongside his brother Brett this season.

Morris confirmed he had spoken to Roosters coach Trent Robinson about the move and is still hopeful the issue can be resolved.

“The main thing I want to get across is this an opportunity to potentially finish my career alongside my brother and it’s probably an opportunity I didn’t ever think I’d get again,” Morris said.

“I spoke to the boys at Cronulla and I know the timing isn’t ideal. It’s not because I’m unhappy with any of the boys at the Sharks.

“But this is a unique opportunity. My brother isn’t just any old mate, this is the bloke who I started this journey with.

“From the time we were little playing hundreds of hours of footy in the backyard and then coming through the grades.

“We were lucky enough to play for NSW and Australia together even though we weren’t in the same side.

“Then we were lucky enough to play at the Bulldogs together. Ultimately there were some salary cap issues there and we had to move on.

“We thought then that was probably the last opportunity to play alongside one another.

Brett and Josh Morris started their career together at the Dragons.Source: Getty Images

They then reunited at the Bulldogs.Source: Getty Images
Now another opportunity has presented itself and I’d regret it for the rest of my life if I didn’t try and make it happen.

“The Cronulla boys respect my decision. Whatever jumper I’m wearing I’ll go out and give a good account of myself.

“At this stage at the Sharks I’m not sure what position I’ll be playing.

“Whereas at the Roosters it’s clear what position I’ll be playing and it’s the position I’ve built my whole career on.

It just comes back to being able to play alongside my brother and potentially being able to finish our careers in the NRL together.”

Morris, 33, was at pains to point out how he understands the timing is far from ideal for the Sharks so close to the kick off of round one on March 12.

And if the Sharks continue to deny his request to leave – of course he’ll give Cronulla his all for the season ahead.

Morris met with Sharks coach John Morris to formally ask for the release to join the Roosters last month.

The Sharks responded by sending him an email rejecting the request.

Asked about reports he was unhappy when Cronulla signed Jesse Ramien last year, Morris said: “Last year I played mostly in the centres, was picked for Origin there and then when I saw the club had signed Jesse, I was kind of like “Well what does that mean for me?”

“Throughout pre-season I’ve trained in a variety of positions and I’m still not too sure where I’ll be playing once the season starts.

“So things can change pretty quickly. I saw it change when I signed under Flanno (previous Sharks coach Shane Flanagan) to play centre and then when Bomber (Sharks coach John Morris) took over plans have changed.

“He signed Jesse for the future and I get that, that’s footy. The club really wants to hold on to Bronson (Xerri) as well.

“I’m at the back end of my career and the club sees fit to try and hold onto those players. I get that.
“But an opportunity has presented itself and that’s the reason (for the release request).

“I can understand the fans frustration. I get that as well. It’s not because I’m unhappy.

“If they had a brother and they were in the same position as me, I wonder what they’d do?

“It’s not about money, it’s not about any of that. It’s about the opportunity to play alongside Brett again.

“It would be pretty cool to walk off in potentially my last game alongside by brother. That’s something we spoke about when we started this journey coming through the grades.”

Morris said the birth of he and wife Elise’s second child, a son called Jesse a fortnight ago, had been a welcome distraction from the contract wrangle.

The Morris twins father Steve “Slippery” Morris weighed into the debate over the weekend by urging the Sharks to allow his sons to finish their careers playing together.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/d5a02433a377e4d01d7ed6f0d331f797

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: ‘It’s not about the money, it’s about playing with my brother’: Josh Morris finally breaks his silence

Champion centre Josh Morris has broken his silence about why he wants a release from the Cronulla Sharks to join twin brother Brett at the Sydney Roosters effective immediately.

In an exclusive interview with Fox Sports, Morris stipulated he could understand Sharks fans being angry and had nothing against the Cronulla playing group.

But his position hasn’t changed about wanting to join the back-to-back premiers to play left centre alongside his brother Brett this season.

Morris confirmed he had spoken to Roosters coach Trent Robinson about the move and is still hopeful the issue can be resolved.

“The main thing I want to get across is this an opportunity to potentially finish my career alongside my brother and it’s probably an opportunity I didn’t ever think I’d get again,” Morris said.

“I spoke to the boys at Cronulla and I know the timing isn’t ideal. It’s not because I’m unhappy with any of the boys at the Sharks.

“But this is a unique opportunity. My brother isn’t just any old mate, this is the bloke who I started this journey with.

“From the time we were little playing hundreds of hours of footy in the backyard and then coming through the grades.

“We were lucky enough to play for NSW and Australia together even though we weren’t in the same side.

“Then we were lucky enough to play at the Bulldogs together. Ultimately there were some salary cap issues there and we had to move on.

“We thought then that was probably the last opportunity to play alongside one another.

Brett and Josh Morris started their career together at the Dragons.Source: Getty Images

Now another opportunity has presented itself and I’d regret it for the rest of my life if I didn’t try and make it happen.

“The Cronulla boys respect my decision. Whatever jumper I’m wearing I’ll go out and give a good account of myself.

“Whereas at the Roosters it’s clear what position I’ll be playing and it’s the position I’ve built my whole career on.

It just comes back to being able to play alongside my brother and potentially being able to finish our careers in the NRL together.”

Morris, 33, was at pains to point out how he understands the timing is far from ideal for the Sharks so close to the kick off of round one on March 12.

And if the Sharks continue to deny his request to leave – of course he’ll give Cronulla his all for the season ahead.

Morris met with Sharks coach John Morris to formally ask for the release to join the Roosters last month.

Asked about reports he was unhappy when Cronulla signed Jesse Ramien last year, Morris said: “Last year I played mostly in the centres, was picked for Origin there and then when I saw the club had signed Jesse, I was kind of like “Well what does that mean for me?”

“Throughout pre-season I’ve trained in a variety of positions and I’m still not too sure where I’ll be playing once the season starts.

“So things can change pretty quickly. I saw it change when I signed under Flanno (previous Sharks coach Shane Flanagan) to play centre and then when Bomber (Sharks coach John Morris) took over plans have changed.

“He signed Jesse for the future and I get that, that’s footy. The club really wants to hold on to Bronson (Xerri) as well.

“I’m at the back end of my career and the club sees fit to try and hold onto those players. I get that.
“But an opportunity has presented itself and that’s the reason (for the release request).

“I can understand the fans frustration. I get that as well. It’s not because I’m unhappy.

“If they had a brother and they were in the same position as me, I wonder what they’d do?

“It’s not about money, it’s not about any of that. It’s about the opportunity to play alongside Brett again.

“It would be pretty cool to walk off in potentially my last game alongside by brother. That’s something we spoke about when we started this journey coming through the grades.”

Morris said the birth of he and wife Elise’s second child, a son called Jesse a fortnight ago, had been a welcome distraction from the contract wrangle.

The Morris twins father Steve “Slippery” Morris weighed into the debate over the weekend by urging the Sharks to allow his sons to finish their careers playing together.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/d5a02433a377e4d01d7ed6f0d331f797
Cry me a river JMoz he signed the deal at Cronulla he lives with it. If playing together was such a high priority they could have done it when they left the Dogs as they were both off contract.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's hilarious that Josh plays the brother card when it suits him so he can engineer a release and play for a better team in his preferred position.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's not the money. It's not the brother. It's not the on-field position. It's about winning a premiership.

He was more than happy to use that excuse with us, but seems scared to do so at the Sharks.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rooster's media in full swing.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Poor josh, he'll always be known as the twin who never won a comp. Maybe he could buy a premiership ring off his bro and say it's his

Last edited:

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Acknowledging that you have signed no one, you have re-signed Nat Butcher, Siosiua Taukeiaho and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.
A typical response from a one eyed Roster fan totally oblivious to the facts hahaha

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
As Spoon mentioned also include Manu in those re-signings, but they would not account for the amount we freed up.
Blah Blah Blah just admit you’re in complete denial mode mate No No No we don’t cheat, the Rosters never cheat lol makes ya piss yourself laughing how oblivious these fickle people are!

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem I have with this is your lumping systematic cap cheating (You guys in the early 2000's and Melb in the late 2000's) with clubs that get pinged for not declaring a particular aspect of one contract or for playing more lower grade players than they were allowed. I see these two groups as distinctly different. Even the Bronco Thoroughbreds, that group of Brisbane business people that "employed" Bronco players for years and paid them outside the cap was not technically rorting the cap as it sanctioned by the NRL at the time. Did it make for an unlevel playing field, absolutely, was it an unfair advantage, absolutely.

Granted the NRL has now closed down these types of loop holes, but that's all it was, and while I hate saying it, it was not technically rorting the cap.

We don't backend contracts, we don't pay overs and we don't rely on messy TPA's as many examples of clubs getting themselves into cap trouble is with TPA's. We have state of the art facilities including a nutritionist who prepares each players diet. We even had an MRI machine at our old stadium manned by a qualified radiologist so an injured Rooster player can off at half time, have his injury scanned and diagnosed by our medical staff and be in rehab before the game he played in ends.

I doubt any stay for "half" their value, but you can you put a price on winning and happiness? Would you rather a job getting an extra $50K a year and be miserable or have a job where you get by but your far happier at the end of the day?

Do we game the system, yes of course we do. Have we an advantage over other clubs in regards to how we are run, yes of course we do. But we were not always like this. We had to get better and we did and now we are reaping the benefits of that. And while we may get pinged for a minor breach of the cap, as we have been done in the past, that in no way equals the systematic cap rorting that some clubs have engaged in.
Rooster aren’t systematically rorting the cap??? , Fuck off mate you are totally fucking deluded! Hang on no you’re right you aren’t just systematically rorting the cap, you’re rorting the referee’s ( 2019 GF ) and rorting the NRL ( National Roosters League )...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem I have with this is your lumping systematic cap cheating (You guys in the early 2000's and Melb in the late 2000's) with clubs that get pinged for not declaring a particular aspect of one contract or for playing more lower grade players than they were allowed. I see these two groups as distinctly different. Even the Bronco Thoroughbreds, that group of Brisbane business people that "employed" Bronco players for years and paid them outside the cap was not technically rorting the cap as it sanctioned by the NRL at the time. Did it make for an unlevel playing field, absolutely, was it an unfair advantage, absolutely.

Granted the NRL has now closed down these types of loop holes, but that's all it was, and while I hate saying it, it was not technically rorting the cap.

We don't backend contracts, we don't pay overs and we don't rely on messy TPA's as many examples of clubs getting themselves into cap trouble is with TPA's. We have state of the art facilities including a nutritionist who prepares each players diet. We even had an MRI machine at our old stadium manned by a qualified radiologist so an injured Rooster player can off at half time, have his injury scanned and diagnosed by our medical staff and be in rehab before the game he played in ends.

I doubt any stay for "half" their value, but you can you put a price on winning and happiness? Would you rather a job getting an extra $50K a year and be miserable or have a job where you get by but your far happier at the end of the day?

Do we game the system, yes of course we do. Have we an advantage over other clubs in regards to how we are run, yes of course we do. But we were not always like this. We had to get better and we did and now we are reaping the benefits of that. And while we may get pinged for a minor breach of the cap, as we have been done in the past, that in no way equals the systematic cap rorting that some clubs have engaged in.
You have the special red white and blue loyalty glasses on Kamba. I don't blame anyone for wanting to think that their club is behaving in an ethical manner. My sister's partner still blames Stephen Dank for spiking the Sharks peptide treatments with Peptides when they thought the injections making their muscles bigger were Botox injections.

But realistically it's hard for anyone not wearing those loyalty glasses to look at the chickens Roster and the fact that they continually sign players that have their breakout season as well as established rep players and every promising junior they chase while releasing significantly less talent and not assume that highly creative accounting is going on. Even players that profess their love for a club repeatedly for many years leave for a payday at rubbish teams. The Roosters aren't the only club guilty of significant cap cheating in my opinion. But due to their dual premiership wins they're going to cop added scrutiny from opposition fans. Unfortunately the salary cap auditors aren't as suspicious. You'll just have to cop the accusations on the chin and enjoy having a good roster up until it somehow all goes to crap. Because it inevitably will. Just look at the fact that you are now chasing a pretty injury prone 33 year old and things mightn't seem as rosy.

I'm not saying this spitefully. It's just the way the cycle goes. Cheating generally only lasts until someone gets upset within the circle of confidence or a simple mistake exposes it. The Bulldogs cheating was outed by an irate businessman who didn't get his way on the Oasis deal. At Melbourne someone supposedly handed over their second set of books. I suspect that the time will come when the Roosters will be exposed in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Gotta love the chook fans dribble.

He lists Cronk and tedesco as their only notable signings in recent years. Isn’t Angus Crichton on 800k or something to sit on the bench? let’s forget someone on the best part of 10% of
The cap too.

Deadset one of my best mates since I was about 10 is a mad chooks fan.

A good mate of ours used to live with a certain roosters players relo and he was round for beers all the time. It was openly discussed how they use to get cash and other dodgy shit. The way they joke about it on the Johns show is actually not so far off.

He now bluntly admits it and laughs it off like meh fuck it. Least we win etc.

I don’t blame them they get away with it. Don’t think anyone seriously believes they aren’t cheating. If they do they are only in denial.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blah Blah Blah just admit you’re in complete denial mode mate No No No we don’t cheat, the Rosters never cheat lol makes ya piss yourself laughing how oblivious these fickle people are!
Were you aware when your club was cheating?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have the special red white and blue loyalty glasses on Kamba. I don't blame anyone for wanting to think that their club is behaving in an ethical manner. My sister's partner still blames Stephen Dank for spiking the Sharks peptide treatments with Peptides when they thought the injections making their muscles bigger were Botox injections.

But realistically it's hard for anyone not wearing those loyalty glasses to look at the chickens Roster and the fact that they continually sign players that have their breakout season as well as established rep players and every promising junior they chase while releasing significantly less talent and not assume that highly creative accounting is going on. Even players that profess their love for a club repeatedly for many years leave for a payday at rubbish teams. The Roosters aren't the only club guilty of significant cap cheating in my opinion. But due to their dual premiership wins they're going to cop added scrutiny from opposition fans. Unfortunately the salary cap auditors aren't as suspicious. You'll just have to cop the accusations on the chin and enjoy having a good roster up until it somehow all goes to crap. Because it inevitably will. Just look at the fact that you are now chasing a pretty injury prone 33 year old and things mightn't seem as rosy.

I'm not saying this spitefully. It's just the way the cycle goes. Cheating generally only lasts until someone gets upset within the circle of confidence or a simple mistake exposes it. The Bulldogs cheating was outed by an irate businessman who didn't get his way on the Oasis deal. At Melbourne someone supposedly handed over their second set of books. I suspect that the time will come when the Roosters will be exposed in the not too distant future.
I completely understand that in the eyes of every other clubs' fan we'll be guilty until proven innocent and that we'll never be proven innocent while ever we have success. The only thing that will satiate other fans is our failure. But you have to understand that this is the same for every fan of every successful sporting franchise across the globe. I'm sure fans of the New England Patriots are passionate in their defence of their winning franchise. As are fans of FC Bayern Munich, Man United, etc. When the Dallas Cowboys were THE franchise of the NFL, fans of every other club wanted to nuke Dallas.

In an example of irony, my first post on the Kennel was a celebration of your clubs recent failures as I remember when you were the club to be feared, a winning franchise and every one else wanted you to fail.

And we'll disagree on your cycle theory. Melbourne have demonstrated a club can recover from being caught systematically cheating the cap yet remain a powerhouse within the comp. And my theory behind that is Craig Bellemy is the cotter pin for that club. Remove him and it's in free fall. Same can be said for Politis at the Roosters and more recently Robinson. Another example is the Broncos. Everyone thought they were a highly professional club, well run, hugely successful, yet they've never looked like being a powerhouse since Bennett left for the Dragons in what was it 08-09? Anyway I digress.

I will defend my club as it's my club. Let me ask you this, if I came here as a supposed Rooster supporter and didn't defend my club, would I be looked as a piss weak supporter by many on here? I think so.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta love the chook fans dribble.

He lists Cronk and tedesco as their only notable signings in recent years. Isn’t Angus Crichton on 800k or something to sit on the bench? let’s forget someone on the best part of 10% of
The cap too.

Deadset one of my best mates since I was about 10 is a mad chooks fan.

A good mate of ours used to live with a certain roosters players relo and he was round for beers all the time. It was openly discussed how they use to get cash and other dodgy shit. The way they joke about it on the Johns show is actually not so far off.

He now bluntly admits it and laughs it off like meh fuck it. Least we win etc.

I don’t blame them they get away with it. Don’t think anyone seriously believes they aren’t cheating. If they do they are only in denial.
I love these stories. Ex players openly talking about how they got this and got that under the table and yet none, none of them, even after leaving the Roosters have gone to the NRL with all this openly known information. I mean seriously. With all the mobile phones and footage of Footy players everywhere on social media, no one has recorded an ex Rooster player talking about getting paper bags and then taken that to the NRL? It's laughable.