Pay's future and NRLW team top of Bulldogs hit list

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a salary cap for NRLW? Does it affect the mens salary cap? Another way to strip us off points! Hahahahaha, Fuck, I need to go to bed! Goodnight....

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Shouldn't it be WNRLol?
In marketing spiel NRL is the brand, hence comes first in any acronym, no matter how it sounds when you speak it.

Same reason for AFLW. Perhaps the WNBL weren’t in class that day :-).

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s probably not a popular opinion but I honestly couldn’t care less about getting a women’s team.
Agreed.
If they want a women's team so badly, sign some good players and drop back the plodders to the women's team.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s probably not a popular opinion but I honestly couldn’t care less about getting a women’s team.
The Dogs need to win the support of women; many of whom still think we were guilty of the accusations at Coffs Harbour, and remember headlines about our "harassment" of the South's cheerleaders, and a precious TV journalist. Whether it is true, or not, the Dogs off field behavior has given us a reputation of being anti women. Having a women's team will go a long way toward remedying those old, wrongly held beliefs.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
In marketing spiel NRL is the brand, hence comes first in any acronym, no matter how it sounds when you speak it.

AFL didn't want their comp using the initials WAFL, as it's too easily pronounced as "waffle".

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

You could have either. The NBA have the WNBA and it seems to work for them.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Dogs need to win the support of women; many of whom still think we were guilty of the accusations at Coffs Harbour, and remember headlines about our "harassment" of the South's cheerleaders, and a precious TV journalist. Whether it is true, or not, the Dogs off field behavior has given us a reputation of being anti women. Having a women's team will go a long way toward remedying those old, wrongly held beliefs.
I think those incidents you mention stick in the Bulldogs fans minds more then fans of other clubs. There’s been that many other scandals break in the game since then that it’s the game as a whole that is tainted rather then just the Dogs. Does having a women’s team make the Dragons look any better with the DeBelin stuff?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think those incidents you mention stick in the Bulldogs fans minds more then fans of other clubs. There’s been that many other scandals break in the game since then that it’s the game as a whole that is tainted rather then just the Dogs. Does having a women’s team make the Dragons look any better with the DeBelin stuff?
Too many fans of other clubs over 25 hate our club and to this day still unfairly refer to the Dogs as cap cheats, rapists and view the fans as violent thugs based on incidents in the late 90's and early 00's.

Obviously the club has worked tirelessly to repair it's image and we've had very few incidents since but fans are petty and people that support our closest and oldest rivals hold onto past incidents just to fuel their hatred, no matter how wrong they are or hpw innacurate those beliefs are.

Having a women's NRL team won't change certain people's perceptions or absolve the Dragons from the De Belin saga but it can't hurt either and every NRL club should have a women's team if they want the comp to be legitimate.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Too many fans of other clubs over 25 hate our club and still refer to the Dogs as cap cheats, rapists and view the fans as violent thugs based on incidents in the late 90's and early 00's.

Obviously the club has worked tirelessly to repair it's image and we've had very few incidents since but fans are petty and people that support our closest and oldest rivals hold onto past incidents just to fuel their hatred.

Having a women's NRL team won't change certain people's perceptions or absolve the Dragons from the De Belin saga but it can't hurt either and every NRL club should have a women's team if they want the comp to be legitimate.
Rival fans use that as ammunition against other clubs. Roosters are cap cheats, Sharks are drugs cheats, etc. Every club in the comp has something that rival fans latch onto. It’s not a mutual exclusive thing that just happen to the Bulldogs.

Personally I don’t even connect getting a women’s team and changing perceptions of the club. It’s simply getting a women’s team which as much as I have tried I just can’t get into. Good luck to them if they get one but I can’t see myself focusing on it much at all. I realise others will enjoy it and that’s positive from that point of view.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rival fans use that as ammunition against other clubs. Roosters are cap cheats, Sharks are drugs cheats, etc. Every club in the comp has something that rival fans latch onto. It’s not a mutual exclusive thing that just happen to the Bulldogs.

Personally I don’t even connect getting a women’s team and changing perceptions of the club. It’s simply getting a women’s team which as much as I have tried I just can’t get into. Good luck to them if they get one but I can’t see myself focusing on it much at all. I realise others will enjoy it and that’s positive from that point of view.
Oh I agree with what you're saying, we're not the only ones. I'm just saying plenty of fans hang onto old shit whether true or not the rest of their lives...

Yeah I don't really vibe Women's league either and wouldn't watch even if we did have a team but I think we and everyone else should have a team and I support the concept of the league and think it's great for the women playing in it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You could have either. The NBA have the WNBA and it seems to work for them.
I don’t disagree - some of those brands have been around a long time however (eg: WNBA) and modern marketing spiel says the master brand is king... not saying right or wrong, just how I’ve had it explained to me by marketing types...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
AFL didn't want their comp using the initials WAFL, as it's too easily pronounced as "waffle".
Ha ha. Actually the Western Australian Football League does exist so that was probably an acronym issue for the women’s game for the AFL too.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Chair Lynne Anderson said that was one of her priorities as head of the board for the next two years, along with sorting out the future of head coach Dean Pay, the only NRL coach off contract in 2020.
That's awesome. No need to do anything for ages. Cause it's not like any other club can snap him up. And I'm not sure he puts anything on the board to say come and I will rebuild your club.

So move re-signing pay down your list of priorities until mid season. Make him prove he deserves it.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A female dogs team .....otherwise known as....

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agreed, it provides a pathway for girls playing but won't ever reach any great heights. A very low standard so far.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I’ll be happy if we get an NRLW team in the comp...pretty sure we can do that AND progress the men’s side up the ladder as well.

People whine about supporter numbers being down, then when the club looks to take a step to open up the supporter market to the fastest growing RL sector in the country, they whine about that?

Seriously, it’s 2020...get out of the 70’s. As a father of a league-playing daughter, I’m all for it.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couldn't give a rats arse about the women's comp, I don't know how much gets spent on promoting this shit but anything over 5 cent's is too much, instead of women's rugby league sink all the funds on promoting league in the bush and interstate, and just one more thing even though it has nothing to do with league, piss women's cricket off as well.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Couldn't give a rats arse about the women's comp, I don't know how much gets spent on promoting this shit but anything over 5 cent's is too much, instead of women's rugby league sink all the funds on promoting league in the bush and interstate, and just one more thing even though it has nothing to do with league, piss women's cricket off as well.
The fact is mums decide what sport their kids play and plenty won't allow their boys to play league because of the physical contact. If they see girls playing and/or their daughters want to play then it might just influence them to let their sons play. Plus they might just come along to games with their husbands and bring the kids if the W team is playing on the same day as the NRL team. It works in plenty of other sports, so no reason why it shouldn't work for league.

Go Dogs

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Taking out whether the womens team is good or bad Todd Greenberg doesn't have an original thought in his head. He basically copies what everyone else does. Problem is whoever thinks of it first is already ahead so he's always playing catch up.