My Round 1 Team

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m just trying to remember round one v Warriors side 2019 when I had to sit through that shit show (luckily was in the lounge and free piss to dull the pain) longest game of my life !

Hoppa
Smith
Holland
Montoya
Crichton

Foran
Lewis

Tolman
Lichaa
Napa
Jackson
RFM
Elliott

Bench
JMK
CHN
Sue
Danny F

22-0 HT
40-6 FT

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You forgot Elliot the coaches pet starting and dropping balls for 80 minutes

I know you're joking but given how absolutely shocking the lineup was in round 1 2019, its not beyond imagination that pay will get it dead wrong again.
Pays team will be

Dwz
Meaney
Hoppa
Smith
Okenbur
Lewis
Cogger
Elliot
CHN
Jackson
Napa
JMK
Tolman

C Smith
Katoa
Britt
Toomaga/Sue if he is fit.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dwz
Meaney
Hoppa
Harper (Johnston when he signs)
Smith
Wakeham
Cogger Cronk
Tolman
Katoa
Napa
Stimson
CHN
Jackson

Britt
Averlio
Toomag
Elliot

Assuming JMK unavailable this is what id pick for rd 1
Holltoya, C Smith to never see FG again

Pay will do some shit like move cogger to 9 during the game i suspect
You seriously believe we are getting Alex Johnston?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it'd be set with the question mark on Jayden, an old style player like Dean will not be content with arm grabbing
You are spot on mate the arm grabbing is not first grade standard
He is going to get the chance to start a season and stamp his authority as a professional footballer
Okunbour has the been blessed with physical attributes so no more excuses
I really hope this is a break out year for him.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it'd be set with the question mark on Jayden, an old style player like Dean will not be content with arm grabbing
He's my question mark too.
3 times Josh Morris scored on Jayden's wing. My concern is his positional play in defence. He's always stranded out of position swatting flies whilst the opposition are scoring tries.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The noise coming out of pre-season gives some strong indications regarding the backline, hard to see Reimus not playing left centre given everything that has been said. Knockonbur will get first shot at left wing, and Meaney has been shifted to right wing. So its going to DWZ, OK, Smith, Hop, Meaney. Only way Harper players Rd 1 is if there is injury to one of those 5.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's my question mark too.
3 times Josh Morris scored on Jayden's wing. My concern is his positional play in defence. He's always stranded out of position swatting flies whilst the opposition are scoring tries.
for sure.. I'm happy to see him get a decent shot this year given that he has only played a handful of FG games, but I'm sure Dean will wield the axe if that doesn't improve

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm really not looking forward to Okunbor on the wing.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay won't pick this but my 17 is;

1 DWZ
2 Averillo
3 Reimis (or swap with Averillo)
4 Hopoate
5 Meaney
6 Lewis
7 Wakeham
8 Tolman
9 JMK
10 Napa
11 CHN
12 Stimson or Britt
13 Jacko

14 Katoa
15 To’omaga
16 Britt or Stimson
17 Elliott (RFM when fit)

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The noise coming out of pre-season gives some strong indications regarding the backline, hard to see Reimus not playing left centre given everything that has been said. Knockonbur will get first shot at left wing, and Meaney has been shifted to right wing. So its going to DWZ, OK, Smith, Hop, Meaney. Only way Harper players Rd 1 is if there is injury to one of those 5.
Holland is technically the incumbent centre at the moment. Is there 100% no way he starts there come round 1? I’m going left of field and thinking Holland starts and gets dropped in round 3 after we get pumped in early games

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Holland is technically the incumbent centre at the moment. Is there 100% no way he starts there come round 1? I’m going left of field and thinking Holland starts and gets dropped in round 3 after we get pumped in early games
Not 100% no way, certainly. But the reports we have been getting show that Smith is training at left centre. The only way I see Holland there in Round 1 is if Smith is injured, or if Smith completely stuffs it up in the trials. If neither of those happen and Holland plays left centre round 1, there is a problem. The problem being that Smith who did a great job at right wing last season, gets shifted to a new and preferred position during off season, trains there, expresses a desire to play there, and then doesn't get it. That is a problem not just for Smith, that would be something other players would notice as well.

Also, Holland has had a decent spell, and he though he has ability, he wasn't cutting it. I don't really know what you do with Holland, he seems to be a dedicated determined sort of player, but he is just a bit lacking in a few things that are really needed in regular first graders.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not 100% no way, certainly. But the reports we have been getting show that Smith is training at left centre. The only way I see Holland there in Round 1 is if Smith is injured, or if Smith completely stuffs it up in the trials. If neither of those happen and Holland plays left centre round 1, there is a problem. The problem being that Smith who did a great job at right wing last season, gets shifted to a new and preferred position during off season, trains there, expresses a desire to play there, and then doesn't get it. That is a problem not just for Smith, that would be something other players would notice as well.

Also, Holland has had a decent spell, and he though he has ability, he wasn't cutting it. I don't really know what you do with Holland, he seems to be a dedicated determined sort of player, but he is just a bit lacking in a few things that are really needed in regular first graders.
If Smith doesn't make the grade at centre then that's Smith's problem alone and other players would welcome the honest assessment that he hasn't (yet) passed the requirements. Compared to "he asked for it and was given it, didn't make it and yet the coaching staff still let him have it". If he doesn't make then best to face up to that fact early and not prolong it.

Players do play out of their preferred position very often, if the team is better for it, then most accept it.

Go Dogs

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Katoas recent form for Tonga was great. He got the forwards rolling through the middle and has good service. Even was putting in some well placed long kicks from hooker which is something which has been non existent for us. I'm backing him to have a big year for the blue and whites

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
01. DWZ
02. Smith
03. Hopoate
04. Harper (wouldn't be upset if I saw Averillo given his debut round 1)
05. Meaney
06. Lewis
07. Cogger
08. To'omaga
09. JMK
10. Napa
11. Stimson
12. CHN
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. Elliot (Britt had a crack in the 9s so wouldn't object to him being selected over Elliot)
16. Tolman
17. Katoa

Okunbor made it look like 9 on 6 at the 9s so he has to miss out at this point. I think in the modern game, having him and Reimis getting us out of the back field would be an asset but that cant be compromised for defensive and handling errors. If he can prove himself in cup, then he is in contention.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Katoas recent form for Tonga was great. He got the forwards rolling through the middle and has good service. Even was putting in some well placed long kicks from hooker which is something which has been non existent for us. I'm backing him to have a big year for the blue and whites

I'm not going to judge him on his Panthers performances myself.. their entire team were struggling and the atmosphere there was so toxic to the point they lost a large percentage of their best players in just over a year

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely they wont have Smith and Okunbor on the same side of the field.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Trying to guess what team Pay starts with is a lottery.We finished 2018 with some good wins the same in 2019.Smith and Holland were killing it on the right edge and the defence across the park was working a treat and we all thought not much would change,even tho we were losing the twins on the left edge.Most thought,bring Hoppa to left centre and find a winger,Meaney was signed as a full back so not to much disruption.
Season starts and Holland is on the left edge ??? team is shuffled like a deck of cards and one trial match to blend it in.3 games in ,cricket scores run up and he drops the left edge for bad defence.Next two weeks we had near 60 points put on us.......
Anybody see much different this year.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The big problem with our backs is that do not have defensive player amongst them.
Hopoate, Smith, Okonbur, Wakeham are not defensively capable. We desperately need a good defensive centre.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Dwz
2. Okunbor
3. Hoppa
4. Smith
5. Meaney (gk)
6. Lewis
7. Wakeham
8. Ogden
9. Jmk