Under paying workers

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...ket-news/d377363f-ec24-4383-8384-a6a243eac9b8

Coles has underpaid staff at least $20 million over the last six years.

The supermarket giant made the announcement today as it reported first-half retail earnings of $725 million.
In a statement, the supermarket acknowledged approximately five per cent of its salaried Liquor managers had been underpaid relative to the General Retail Industry Award (GRIA).

Coles has been underpaying staff by $20 million, the supermarket giant admitted. (AAP)

Those managers are owed a combined $3 million, and there will be another $1 million in interest and costs.
Approximately five per cent of supermarket managers have been underpaid in the past six years to the tune of $12 million, and $4 million will be paid in interest and costs.

The statement noted the review of the Liquor business is "nearing completion" and the supermarkets review was "still in progress", which means more money could be owed.

In the latest of this epidemic sweeping the business world, Coles has reportedly underpaid it's staff by $20mill over 6 years. I'm not a gambling man but I would bet my house that over the same time period of 6 years, not one farking executive, board member, director or consultant was underpaid one red cent!

Watch this space as Coles are fined $500K, which is about 10% of what they would have earned off the interest alone of that $20mill.

This has got to be a deliberate business tactic of under paying your staff, reaping the benefits of that and then coming clean with a "oh we are so sorry, look what we accidentality did...". How can so many supposedly smart business operators make the same mistake?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was a trainee manager at Coles many years ago ,the bullshit they spun you to work for nothing was huge. It didn't take me long to get compensation taking home cartons of ciggarettes, marking down the meat counter fillings 2 shopping trolleys of meat for $40 .Lisa mcunes $20 story didn't stop me from pocketing the odd reback and the amount of cheese and razors I took should make it even

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was a trainee manager at Coles many years ago ,the bullshit they spun you to work for nothing was huge. It didn't take me long to get compensation taking home cartons of ciggarettes, marking down the meat counter fillings 2 shopping trolleys of meat for $40 .Lisa mcunes $20 story didn't stop me from pocketing the odd reback and the amount of cheese and razors I took should make it even
batteries too?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
https://www.9news.com.au/national/c...ket-news/d377363f-ec24-4383-8384-a6a243eac9b8

Coles has underpaid staff at least $20 million over the last six years.

The supermarket giant made the announcement today as it reported first-half retail earnings of $725 million.
In a statement, the supermarket acknowledged approximately five per cent of its salaried Liquor managers had been underpaid relative to the General Retail Industry Award (GRIA).

Coles has been underpaying staff by $20 million, the supermarket giant admitted. (AAP)

Those managers are owed a combined $3 million, and there will be another $1 million in interest and costs.
Approximately five per cent of supermarket managers have been underpaid in the past six years to the tune of $12 million, and $4 million will be paid in interest and costs.

The statement noted the review of the Liquor business is "nearing completion" and the supermarkets review was "still in progress", which means more money could be owed.

In the latest of this epidemic sweeping the business world, Coles has reportedly underpaid it's staff by $20mill over 6 years. I'm not a gambling man but I would bet my house that over the same time period of 6 years, not one farking executive, board member, director or consultant was underpaid one red cent!

Watch this space as Coles are fined $500K, which is about 10% of what they would have earned off the interest alone of that $20mill.

This has got to be a deliberate business tactic of under paying your staff, reaping the benefits of that and then coming clean with a "oh we are so sorry, look what we accidentality did...". How can so many supposedly smart business operators make the same mistake?
Probably fair to think that executive bonuses during that time would have come close to 20 million. On top of all this you can add the fact that they ripped off dairy farmers when they added 10¢ a litre and pocketed most of that themselves. In part the dairy farmers themselves should never have allowed the co-ops that bought milk from farms to supermarkets to have left their posession. They dug the hole for themselves with that particular lack of foresight.

But it's not uncommon at any level of business for owners to rip off their workers. My nephew worked with a courier service for 4 years and found out that they'd never paid into his superannuation fund during that time. I worked for a few months at a newsagent that was trying to underpay me by w-3 hours per week for the last month I was there. On the day I got another job I just didn't go into work. The owner rang me and asked if I'd slept in (response, no) then if I was sick (also no) then asked what they were supposed to do about opening up the shop at which point I told him that paying for the hours that staff work would have meant that this situation wouldn't have happened.

This type of behaviour is at an alarming level these days. You really need to make sure you keep your own hours monitored and check up on every aspect of your pay slip.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
batteries too?
Yup they are fooling no one with the old style security seals you could just Peel them off. I used to put them in this **** I hated tie or bag sent him nuts setting the detecor offall the time

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I must add Coles had some Bizzare promotion once and had to wear a panda suit and hand shit out,anyways I got a wrist job off a checkout chic out near the cardboard compactor .Those suites are hot enough tipping a load in one you almost pass out

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup they are fooling no one with the old style security seals you could just Peel them off. I used to put them in this **** I hated tie or bag sent him nuts setting the detecor offall the time
Cunny funt !!!

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There’s new legislation around this coming in March. It actually does happen accidentally sometimes. Work operations and awards have changed drastically and businesses can’t keep up.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Rarely do I access emojis stored in my cloud to set-off my feelings, but in this case, I'll make an exception...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU FUNNY KARMICHAEL

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
My last employer fked something up in regards to long service leave and had to contact basically every employee for the last 10-15 years and pay each one some cash. I know some people who got thousands.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...s/news-story/a5ed484e5fb7d0f73a244dc62b7ace4c

Major retail group Wesfarmers has added to the humiliation of the sector’s “endemic problem” of wage theft, with target staff being ripped off by $9 million.

The Perth-based conglomerate admitted to the underpayment this morning when reporting the company’s half-year earnings.

“Payroll errors” at Wesfarmers now equates to $24 million after including the previously revealed $15 million at its industrial and safety division.

This morning’s announcement comes on the back of Coles setting aside $20 million on Tuesday to correct its own payment scandal, following a long list of other businesses across the country.

Wesfarmers said the latest round of wage theft was discovered after the group conducted extensive reviews of its pay records.

“Immediate steps are being taken to rectify identified issues, notify and repay affected team members, including interest, and ensure accuracy in the future through a robust program of auditing and monitoring,” managing director Rob Scott said in a statement.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
There's a few more coming apparently - including Rebel.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm pretty surprised that there seems to be a crackdown on this. Large companies have seemed to get a pretty free run with this kind of thing for a while.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How come we don't hear about companies accidentally over paying their employees by millions of dollars?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm pretty surprised that there seems to be a crackdown on this. Large companies have seemed to get a pretty free run with this kind of thing for a while.
Yeah but will it be a real crack down or a crack *wink wink* down?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah but will it be a real crack down or a crack *wink wink* down?
It's hard to guess really. My faith in the system and in those who make money off our sweat isn't high. There are too many cases where employers are greedy to think the system works. But even if these are just token examples of employers fixing up "errors" it's better than nothing. And it might actually convince a few people to check their earnings verse what they're meant to earn.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
HAHa i worked in several coles supermarkets as well where you were basically forced to work overtime and no pay. Disgusting company to work for.... but your also right made it up by the razors and other items lol

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I must add Coles had some Bizzare promotion once and had to wear a panda suit and hand shit out,anyways I got a wrist job off a checkout chic out near the cardboard compactor .Those suites are hot enough tipping a load in one you almost pass out
I used to work for Woolworths and ended up being a trainee manager but quit as the pay was shithouse for a trainee as it cut my pay in half. Anyway, both companies are the same no doubt with their ways of doing things.

Talking of taking shit, I don't think I ever paid for frangers the whole time I worked there, which is quite funny as i was using them quite a bit sleeping with some of the checkout chicks from work. Oh fun times. Because it was a large store, the checkout chicks getting turned over all the time, it was like a production line of fresh smoo for a hot blood 18 year old.

I could tell you some stories too from that place, man a lot of things went on there.