NRL 9s

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd argue it's the opposite - it's not just about the short term bank, but how does the game grow into different markets.
If they're not actively working on that, that's a massive problem.
They've already bailed out the Titans, Knights, Tigers and who else - so if some clubs aren't viable in RL heartland - growth into new markets is the only option.
there needs to be a market though, and as much as they want there to be, it just doesn't appear like there is one in Perth.. meanwhile they have lost all the fans in Sydney at least... I mean yeah there is the argument that people want to watch at home, but what happens when people get over being lazy and start looking for things to do outside again.. an NRL game is certainly not going to be a priority

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
there needs to be a market though, and as much as they want there to be, it just doesn't appear like there is one in Perth.. meanwhile they have lost all the fans in Sydney at least... I mean yeah there is the argument that people want to watch at home, but what happens when people get over being lazy and start looking for things to do outside again.. an NRL game is certainly not going to be a priority
Yes but that’s not solely down to the NRL. The product as a whole is, but game day experience, admission prices (for non club/stadium members), food and drink prices, things to do attached to the game (kids, couples etc) all have multiple stakeholders that need to work together to entice the punter. It’s a competitive market and people are increasingly spoiled for choice - so best bang for buck will win. Tailgates anyone?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes but that’s not solely down to the NRL. The product as a whole is, but game day experience, admission prices (for non club/stadium members), food and drink prices, things to do attached to the game (kids, couples etc) all have multiple stakeholders that need to work together to entice the punter. It’s a competitive market and people are increasingly spoiled for choice - so best bang for buck will win. Tailgates anyone?
Sounds about right actually, you an Howard both make good points as per usual. I don’t know, it’s just slowly dying out and they hype is deff not there anymore. Just my two cents though.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
why do you do me like that?

haha nah, you make valid points... I just hope that in the near future that something gives because the quality of football always goes up a level when there is a decent crowd

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds about right actually, you an Howard both make good points as per usual. I don’t know, it’s just slowly dying out and they hype is deff not there anymore. Just my two cents though.
I don’t disagree at all mate.
The product must continually evolve.
We live in a different world to even 10 years ago.

Once upon a time people went to the footy for a couple of hours just like they tuned into the Sunday night movie at a set time because that’s what we were all used to.

Now we get everything on demand or subscription and there’s a lot of brands and products screaming at us for our bucks. The NRL is among the noise and needs to shout louder and offer more to get the punter off the couch. TV ratings the NRL kills it - and they can keep negotiating more money with each broadcast deal - but the product only really thrives with bums on seats - preferably most of those yelling ‘BULLDOGS!’ :-).

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And so it begins.........

Another year, another set of of shitty decisions.........should be an interesting explanation from Mr Anusley on this one......
It's a bit sad that plenty of people knew he'd become the official apologist for crappy refereeing calls even back when it was announced that he was going to become the referees boss and would crack down on poor/biased refereeing.

As usual money talks rather than any ‘love affair’ - the WA Government gave the NRL a big fat cheque to host a package of SOO (2019 success), the 9’s (2020 only at this point) and an international (yet to be scheduled). SA is doing the same with SOO this year. I don’t blame the NRL for taking a mix of showpiece (SOO) and other product (9’s) to test the waters in different markets whilst being paid to do so.

I do understand the ‘value’ of taking the 9’s to an established RL heartland of say Newcastle or Townsville but the game has to grow into new markets as well for the long term - so might as well use someone else’s money to test those waters.
In all honesty though the game is showing signs that fans in heartland areas are walking away while other codes are gaining popularity in the heartland areas. This would raise some questions about how we keep our long serving fans emotionally attached to a logically thinking board. But these guys running the show seem to be all about trying to convince fans that those issues causing disgust within the fan base don't exist. You know that issues with refereeing aren't going to be addressed when the action plan is to fine clubs for making legitimate complaints publicly. This tells me they assume that fans aren't intelligent enough to notice the ever more frequent poor calls. In effect it probably turned more fans off that clubs themselves aren't even allowed the option to vent.

And I haven't seen anything published in recent years about how the NRL subsidises grass roots football nurseries. I don't think it would flatter the admin to publish what I suspect is increasing levels of neglect. But Greenberg mentioned publicly in his time with us, that junior investment was a wasted expense. So I have little faith that he has a different mentality to directly funding clubs that aren't seemingly as important as those directly feeding talent to NRL clubs. But locally I've seen that teams that have had a presence in my town since before I was born die off as a direct result of going broke. To an extent this coincided with taxes on pubs and clubs that offered some financial support locally. But with a huge recent boost in sponsorship, the NRL needs to support grass roots football more or the talent we're able to draw on will dry up.

So while I do see a bit of merit in trying to extend the support base to Perth etc. It's somewhat negated by the fact that it probably wouldn't have happened if Perth hadn't provided the funds directly. It seems like the crew running the game don't see merit in anything bar making a quick buck.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t disagree at all mate.
The product must continually evolve.
We live in a different world to even 10 years ago.

Once upon a time people went to the footy for a couple of hours just like they tuned into the Sunday night movie at a set time because that’s what we were all used to.

Now we get everything on demand or subscription and there’s a lot of brands and products screaming at us for our bucks. The NRL is among the noise and needs to shout louder and offer more to get the punter off the couch. TV ratings the NRL kills it - and they can keep negotiating more money with each broadcast deal - but the product only really thrives with bums on seats - preferably most of those yelling ‘BULLDOGS!’ :-).
That’s all that matters :tonguewink:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Rumours are that this rubbish is going to be scrapped next year due to numerous complaints from coaches, players and fans.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Rumours are that this rubbish is going to be scrapped next year due to numerous complaints from coaches, players and fans.
I hope so. Although I thought I read they were taking applications for next years host.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My dad and I used to go to all 3 grades games at Belmore, get there at 11am and still be at the leagues club at 8.30pm talking to the players. It was a full day of football, escalating in quality, something that simply isn't possible these days.

My job takes me to Melbourne, often on weekends, and it never ceases to amaze me when I turn up at a restaurant for breakfast at 8am and there are numerous AFL fans with their families all having breakfast. Everyone of them decked out in their full supporters gear, with blankets and parkers, ready for the game which doesn't start for another 5 or 6 hours. Then they go shopping, have lunch and wander off to the game. It's an all day ritual, like a cult that they can't escape from.

Go Dogs

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My dad and I used to go to all 3 grades games at Belmore, get there at 11am and still be at the leagues club at 8.30pm talking to the players. It was a full day of football, escalating in quality, something that simply isn't possible these days.

My job takes me to Melbourne, often on weekends, and it never ceases to amaze me when I turn up at a restaurant for breakfast at 8am and there are numerous AFL fans with their families all having breakfast. Everyone of them decked out in their full supporters gear, with blankets and parkers, ready for the game which doesn't start for another 5 or 6 hours. Then they go shopping, have lunch and wander off to the game. It's an all day ritual, like a cult that they can't escape from.

Go Dogs
Melbourne geographically and with it's public transport connections makes that very easy. Add that with the AFL being a far better run competition, you can see why people buy into it.

Then you've got the majority of NRL games being played out in Homebush where there's nothing for the family anywhere near in site, you end up getting what we have... a joke. Homebush only works during Easter, Origin and Grand Final.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Melbourne geographically and with it's public transport connections makes that very easy. Add that with the AFL being a far better run competition, you can see why people buy into it.
Then you've got the majority of NRL games being played out in Homebush where there's nothing for the family anywhere near in site, you end up getting what we have... a joke. Homebush only works during Easter, Origin and Grand Final.
There are plenty of restaurants and other food outlets in the stadium precinct, lots of parks for the kids to play in, DFO is 5 minutes away if you want to do some discount shopping, the bar in the Novotel and the Post Office both have live music, a train station right there next to the entrance and busses at the door. More and more facilities are being added each month, it's a growing precinct, nothing like it was 20 years ago.

It's a culture, they are born into it in Melbourne, if you don't support an AFL team then you're a leper, ostracised, shunned, some weirdo who should be avoided. When pushed I say I'm a Swans fan (I've been to 1 Swans game in my life, so that qualifies me as a fan) and despite it being an outside of Melbourne team I get more respect than when when I used to say that I support no AFL team. They are just addicted to their AFL and not spending the entire Saturday or Sunday getting ready for the game, talking about the game, dressed their club colours in something totally unthinkable. It's a cult, plain and simple.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Agree, the Mexicans have a different sporting culture. 85000 will turn up to a mid-season Friday night local derby at a cold MCG with no bearing on the finals. Something sorely lacking in the NRL.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I hope they don't scrap the 9's. I want as much footy as possible. I'd prefer they force teams to bring a stronger squad (no idea how, increase the incentive to play somehow) and maybe put it on a little earlier towards the start of the year (so it doesn't clash with the World Club Challenge - which I personally think is less interesting than the 9's anyways). I think it should be played in Bankwest or Suncorp (or the new Cowboys stadium) so there is a better atmosphere too. I also now have a few favourite NRLW players which I wouldn't of had before (so I like how they mix it in with the men's - I can watch all the Dragons games but not sure about the other teams...) :blush: .

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope they don't scrap the 9's. I want as much footy as possible. I'd prefer they force teams to bring a stronger squad (no idea how, increase the incentive to play somehow) and maybe put it on a little earlier towards the start of the year (so it doesn't clash with the World Club Challenge - which I personally think is less interesting than the 9's anyways). I think it should be played in Bankwest or Suncorp (or the new Cowboys stadium) so there is a better atmosphere too. I also now have a few favourite NRLW players which I wouldn't of had before (so I like how they mix it in with the men's - I can watch all the Dragons games but not sure about the other teams...) :blush: .

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ca...s/news-story/96c472f061b2c20c70d8178ef2518c5e

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I also now have a few favourite NRLW players which I wouldn't of had before (so I like how they mix it in with the men's - I can watch all the Dragons games but not sure about the other teams...) :blush: .
You’ll be running out of wall space mate or did the Harry Grant & Latrell posters get bumped? :grinning: