Pay's future and NRLW team top of Bulldogs hit list

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay's future and NRLW team top of Bulldogs hit list

Canterbury Bulldogs are looking to join the NRLW whenever the competition hits the expansion button.

Chair Lynne Anderson said that was one of her priorities as head of the board for the next two years, along with sorting out the future of head coach Dean Pay, the only NRL coach off contract in 2020.

Anderson was elected for another term along with six of her fellow directors on February 9.

The only change from the team elected in 2018 was Adrian Turner, who replaced Bulldogs legend Steve Mortimer. He had already announced he would stand down at the completion of his term.

The Bulldogs have already submitted an application for a NRLW franchise. The competition is expected to expand in 2022 from the four foundation clubs.

Last November, the Bulldogs appointed Luke Goodwin, son of St George legend Ted Goodwin, as their Harvey Norman women's team head coach.

Five key match-ups of the Bulldogs' 2020 draw

"Absolutely we want to be part of the NRLW," Anderson told NRL.com.

"We're the family club and we've got a female chair. So if we can't get a NRLW team to fix that hole in our club then I'd better give up."

Anderson said Bulldogs members were behind the club's push on the women's game.

"Ever since we started on this journey two-and-a-bit years ago we've always had a plan and the members want to see us stick to that," she said.

"Our plan was a combination of what members thought we needed as well – things like getting the salary cap under control, good governance, stability, and creating a pathway for women."

Two years ago Anderson and CEO Andrew Hill also promised members the club would be able to give the player market a real shake in 2021 as the salary cap excesses would be under control by then.

Dean has created a young, vibrant squad that doesn't want to look back but just forward

Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson
That has not changed but Anderson said there would be no mad spending spree.

"It's got to be the right fit for the right positions. So we won't be out there splashing cash around in a frenzy – we'll be patient," she said.

Now the question is whether Pay will be part of the 2021 plans. He is the only NRL coach off contract in 2020.

Pay won't need reminding that the Bulldogs were 2-7 after nine rounds in both 2018 and 2019. Another start like that would not be good.

"Look there's been no formal discussions yet. But we are really happy and supportive of Dean," Anderson said.

The must-see plays from Saturday at the NRL Nines

"The end of last season, we thought, really indicated the faith everyone has in Dean. It wasn't just winning seven from 10 it was the way the team came together off the field.

"He's created a young, vibrant squad that doesn't want to look back but just forward.

"I think it's still one of the youngest NRL squads going around but those kids now have another year of NRL experience – most of them with 20 games or more.

"So Dean is helping these guys on how to play in the NRL and get better, and we love that.

"I've been very pleased the way our squad has come back to pre-season training – they've grown in confidence after a good ending to 2019.

"But the stats from the past two season sum up things. We know we need to start well and everyone is focused on that – not just the team but everyone from the board down."

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I couldn't give a fuck about the womens comp. In saying that though Sharks deserve to be in the comp more than anyone, as far as I'm aware they were the pioneers for this league and their application was knocked back.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s probably not a popular opinion but I honestly couldn’t care less about getting a women’s team.
I couldn’t care less about Whamens Rugby League either but if we could sign Raelene Castle as our first marquee signing to play in the front row I’m all for it!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Read between the lines with her last quote ....it’s all in the start for Dean

He has to get us winning from the get go otherwise another 2-7 start will surely mean curtains for him

Our start isn’t that daunting so the draw isn’t as bad as previous years ie. Storm r1 or Roosters twice in a month bs we used to get

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It took me a minute to realise what the fk NRLW was lol thought it was a rival Competition ala SL 97

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm glad Lynne and the club seem to be taking a wait and see approach when it comes to deciding Pay's future.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sign Sergis and I'll watch :blush: .

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Concentrate on winning the men's comp first then worry bout womens.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok much better.
In respect to dean pay, I dearly hope he has learned a thing or two over the past couple of seasons.
You need to stay loyal to the players that finished the season off in a whirlwind last season.
Again tinkering with positional changes makes me scratch my head.
We had Holland and reimis smith carving it up, virtually unstoppable,the season before last, only for him to split that combination.
We now hear of him moving remis Smith to the centres,and meaney playing on the other side this year..
FMD......
How long is all this going to take, for them to gel again and form new combinations.
We should be building on what we have already created, not tearing it apart again and starting over.
Leave the players and combinations as they are, be loyal to the players from the last 10 weeks of season 2019.
Make Britt, Stimson and katoa earn there spots, it's not as if they were regular first graders at their previous clubs, just like pay made cogger and meaney earn it from reserve grade.
Understand we have some injuries, and may have no option, but let's keep team harmony and what is right intact.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ok much better.
In respect to dean pay, I dearly hope he has learned a thing or two over the past couple of seasons.
You need to stay loyal to the players that finished the season off in a whirlwind last season.
Again tinkering with positional changes makes me scratch my head.
We had Holland and reimis smith carving it up, virtually unstoppable,the season before last, only for him to split that combination.
We now hear of him moving remis Smith to the centres,and meaney playing on the other side this year..
FMD......
How long is all this going to take, for them to gel again and form new combinations.
We should be building on what we have already created, not tearing it apart again and starting over.
Leave the players and combinations as they are, be loyal to the players from the last 10 weeks of season 2019.
Make Britt, Stimson and katoa earn there spots, it's not as if they were regular first graders at their previous clubs, just like pay made cogger and meaney earn it from reserve grade.
Understand we have some injuries, and may have no option, but let's keep team harmony and what is right intact.
MAYBE JAC is coming for 2021 so Pay wants to have that left wing spot somewhat vacant! :tonguewink: Honestly tho I don't understand why we'd swap Meaney to the right and Okunbor isn't good enough for NRL level at the moment and we have Harper (maybe Averillo too) who have better traits. Okunbor probably won't do himself and favours in the trials so we'll see how that goes.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: nothing like a few Mediterranean goddesses running around the footy park mmmmm.... delicious!

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If we get a nrlw team in and we don’t sign Jess Sergis and tiarna penitani I’ll be pissed.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Id like us for us have an NRLW team.. Il offer to be the talent scout & ill guarentee we will have team easy on the eye.. I cant guarentee the footballing ability though ..

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Id like us for us have an NRLW team.. Il offer to be the talent scout & ill guarentee we will have team easy on the eye.. I cant guarentee the footballing ability though ..
I’d be the same ahaha
Sergis penitani Kelly Maynard vette welsh & Horne will be the first ones signed