News A terrible day for all Australians - Holden axed in Australia

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As a Ford man, this is sad news.

Australia built damn good cars. The world will never appreciate or know how great we had it here for a while.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score

Australia built damn good cars. The world will never appreciate or know how great we had it here for a while.

I figured Ford fans would be happy about this. But I guess you lose your rivalry now.

What happens to Bathurst? Ford vs Mercedes or something?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I suspect part of it is ideologically driven. While certainly not denying your points, another aspect to this is the love affair some have with free market philosophy (although interestingly some of the peddlers of this philosophy are quick to scream for regulation when they are on the bad end of the "free" market). Fact is that Australia is on the wrong side of the car manufacturing market, because we drive on the left, therefore have right hand drive cars. We are part of the minority end of the market, so free market economics means that companies get less profit per unit selling cars to us (and other countries that have right hand drive). The evidence for this can be seen very simply in the fact that GM has pulled out of countries that have right hand drive.

The short version of this is that there is a VERY good reason for locally manufactured cars to get government subsidies. Free market realities mean that Aussie consumers will be disadvantaged on the global market, and subsidies can help make up for this. The only other solution is of course for the government to decide to switch everything to driving on the right hand side and left hand drive vehicles...
Good points. However even companies who are recently established still find it viable to produce cars for our market and other countries which match our driving conditions.

I understand the supply and demand aspects of the free market system. And I think that it's more a reflection of the fact that plenty of more economical vehicles are on the market here these days reducing the market share of these two recognisable Aussie brands. Removing the manufacturing of these largely more expensive vehicles (Ford and Holden) has probably directly caused people to lose brand loyalty. And I don't think it's coincidental that the rising cost of living in comparison to the stagnation of wage growth would indirectly have caused others to rethink brand loyalty when they're struggling to get food on the table.

It's been estimated that removing government subsidies and the resulting loss of onshore manufacturing has caused the loss of 250,000 jobs. Some were directly in manufacturing the cars, others were part of a ripple effect in industries that created and supplied various spare parts. Comparatively speaking the mining industry still gets far more heavy subsidies per Australian employee than did the vehicle manufacturers. But you can bet that 250k jobs disappearing has really had an impact on local business where those formerly employed would have spent their money.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I figured Ford fans would be happy about this. But I guess you lose your rivalry now.

What happens to Bathurst? Ford vs Mercedes or something?
At the end of the day, neither would've lasted as long as they did without one another.

Who knows what happens with Supercars from here. It was only a few years ago we all thought it was going to be a Commodore Cup. Now all of a sudden we're left only with metal buckets pretending to look like Mustangs. lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
At the end of the day, neither would've lasted as long as they did without one another.

Who knows what happens with Supercars from here. It was only a few years ago we all thought it was going to be a Commodore Cup. Now all of a sudden we're left only with metal buckets pretending to look like Mustangs. lol
Camaro v Mustang

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully enough people in this country disagree with your opinion. You might not notice significant effects before you retire, but Australia only elevated the working class above the poverty line because unions demanded that fair wages be paid. Less than a hundred years ago you can see evidence of the results of employers being allowed to set wages themselves in the photos of managers and low level staff. I'll see if I can find it, but a local paper showed a series of photos of the managers and their staff in my town which displayed managers dressed in nice suits, while their staff wore threadbare clothing and didn't even own shoes.

I'll be buggered if I want that to be the way my descendents live. And if you don't think that's potentially going to happen, have a look at the amount of poverty in America. Probably one of the richest countries in the world.
While I don't disagree that unions have done some good personally I think a lot of people have a fantasised view of unions when most of the time they claim to be working for the people when in reality all they are doing is lining their pockets or using them as a stepping stone for their careers. Bill Shorten is a perfect example of that.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wish I could give that two best posts..I’d go into what the value of unions are..and the little things at work that are taken for granted which unions fought for.. But it’d take me too long and I ain’t got theft time nor the inclination.. However, rest assure that the rights of the worker, and the relatively good conditions that he he/she experiences is greatly attributed to the Union movement before them.. Yeah sometimes they go a little too far..but heck with out em..think about far the boss would go..or would have gone..
I see people going up in arms when railway workers, teachers or nurses strike and they're inconvenienced for a day as a result. But it's directly due to union movements of the past that the 10 hour work day was abolished in favour of the eight hour work day for the same money. It's little things like this that many people don't understand.

Australia was once the country that set the example to the rest of the world which was why we were once regarded as the land of the fair go. People won't know what they once had until they're not able to feed and clothe themselves anymore'.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Camaro v Mustang
Wont be camaro cause GM are withdrawing from the right-hand market and part of the rules of supercars is that it has to be a production car (at least as far as I understand). Apparently WAU are looking at going to BMW and that is part of the reason they got Mostert because he already races BMWs overseas

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Every Australian should be furious.
Over $2bn, not including subsidies and tax breaks, given to them to keep manufacturing in Australia. 4 years later, nothing.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Every Australian should be furious.
Over $2bn, not including subsidies and tax breaks, given to them to keep manufacturing in Australia. 4 years later, nothing.
That’s what the 2bn was for... 4 years.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While I don't disagree that unions have done some good personally I think a lot of people have a fantasised view of unions when most of the time they claim to be working for the people when in reality all they are doing is lining their pockets or using them as a stepping stone for their careers. Bill Shorten is a perfect example of that.
I'm not living in a fairytale land about this. But any poor behaviour cops a lot more media coverage if someone high in a union movement does it than the liberals or nationals. If it means that the lowest earning Australians are earning a decent wage it doesn't matter if the occasional case of pocket lining or self promotion happens. It's not like it's extremely commonplace.

Quick edit here.
Just what has Bill Shorten ever been found guilty of. Rest assured that if there was guilt to expose, it would have been found when he was subjected to a royal commission. The simple fact that he was subject to it and it got a huge amount of publicity will contribute to your perception that he's corrupt and lining his pockets. Julia Gillard also had the royal commission treatment used on her to create perception bias.

Last edited:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Holden axed in Australia as General Motors gets out of right-hand-drive globally

The Holden brand will be retired at the end of this year, selected showrooms may stock a limited range of Chevrolet vehicles under new General Motors Specialty Vehicles badge.

Holden will be axed in Australia at the end of 2020 – just three years after the end of local manufacturing and the lowest monthly sales since it was established in 1948 – as US car giant General Motors gets out of right-hand-drive markets globally.

Although Holden had been posting record low sales – which led to the end of the Commodore and Astra models late last year – the announcement has still come as a shock to industry veterans now the brand has lost its final lifeline.

General Motors will also close its Melbourne design studio and test track at Lang Lang on the south-east outskirts of Melbourne. Approximately 600 of the 800 jobs will be lost, with all being awarded redundancies. The remaining workforce of 200 people will take care of Holden's ongoing service and warranty commitments for up to 10 years.

Holden management informed head office staff and dealers about midday today. An official media statement from Holden is forthcoming.

Sauce

Can I be the first to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Holden axed in Australia as General Motors gets out of right-hand-drive globally

The Holden brand will be retired at the end of this year, selected showrooms may stock a limited range of Chevrolet vehicles under new General Motors Specialty Vehicles badge.

Holden will be axed in Australia at the end of 2020 – just three years after the end of local manufacturing and the lowest monthly sales since it was established in 1948 – as US car giant General Motors gets out of right-hand-drive markets globally.

Although Holden had been posting record low sales – which led to the end of the Commodore and Astra models late last year – the announcement has still come as a shock to industry veterans now the brand has lost its final lifeline.

General Motors will also close its Melbourne design studio and test track at Lang Lang on the south-east outskirts of Melbourne. Approximately 600 of the 800 jobs will be lost, with all being awarded redundancies. The remaining workforce of 200 people will take care of Holden's ongoing service and warranty commitments for up to 10 years.

Holden management informed head office staff and dealers about midday today. An official media statement from Holden is forthcoming.

Sauce

Can I be the first to say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I'm not surprised
Holden have been making absolute shit boxes for over 40 years
And Ford isn't much better.

Sales decline cause the cars are rubbish.
The consumers have spoken.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought a maloo ute in 2013 brand new. Little things like paint fade, knobs falling off and random lights on dashboard were just a few things that made me never want to buy ahold say again. They are Aussie cars. But the quality Isn’t there. I feel sorry for the Holden fans it is a sad day we are more and more americanised and losing the Aussie way

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember when every car to left and right was commodore and falcon . Sad yep.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill shorten is a grub! Union corrupt grub. Have you seen him run? YouTube the video he is a muppet

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I see people going up in arms when railway workers, teachers or nurses strike and they're inconvenienced for a day as a result. But it's directly due to union movements of the past that the 10 hour work day was abolished in favour of the eight hour work day for the same money. It's little things like this that many people don't understand.

Australia was once the country that set the example to the rest of the world which was why we were once regarded as the land of the fair go. People won't know what they once had until they're not able to feed and clothe themselves anymore'.
Absolutely!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bill shorten is a grub! Union corrupt grub. Have you seen him run? YouTube the video he is a muppet
Do you have proof or just an opinion? Because the royal commission investigation couldn't find any evidence. But it's never stopped people from stating opinions as fact.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Wont be camaro cause GM are withdrawing from the right-hand market and part of the rules of supercars is that it has to be a production car (at least as far as I understand). Apparently WAU are looking at going to BMW and that is part of the reason they got Mostert because he already races BMWs overseas
Camaro is sold under the HSV currently so they might get away with it?

I'm sure the Supercars will change the rules or they will lose the majority of fans if GM isn't represented.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm not surprised
Holden have been making absolute shit boxes for over 40 years
And Ford isn't much better.

Sales decline cause the cars are rubbish.
The consumers have spoken.
It's because they stopped making V8s AND bringing in Opal and Vauxhall (Euro trash) and sticking a lion on them.

PS hopefully this just further pushes the price of my Walkie up for the kids/grand kids.