News Why your team will do better in 2020: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After being a finals mainstay for much of the decade, 2019 was the second consecutive disappointing year for the Bulldogs
Salary cap problems after the 2017 season led to many quality players being moved on and mostly inexperienced players taking their place. Now, after a year or two learning their trade, the question is: are the likes of Lachlan Lewis, Reimis Smith, Jeremy Marshall-King and Renouf Toomaga ready to join the experienced Josh Jackson, Will Hopoate and Aiden Tolman in returning the Bulldogs to finals football?

The strength of the Bulldogs is grit and determination, shown last year through a resolute defence. Despite finishing 12th in 2019 their points against (477) was comparable to top eight sides Eels (473), Sharks (464) and Broncos (489). This is despite often leaking points through young players Jayden Okunbor and Nick Meaney as they adjusted their game to the previously unfamiliar wing position.

Okunbor, who transitioned to the wing from the forward pack, made particularly poor reads in defence, while Meaney, who started the season as a diminutive fullback, at times struggled physically against bigger opponents. Both are in the running to be starting wingers this year. However, they will have had an off-season to address their deficiencies. In doing so, the Bulldogs defence should only be stronger in 2020.

The two experienced players in the backline are fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and centre Will Hopoate. DWZ is a very powerful runner and good support player but is lacking a little in creativity and a passing game, meaning much of the backline play will need to come from their centres. Hopoate is an extremely reliable player undoubtedly up to the task.
Remis Smith, tipped to move from the wing to the centres this year, has been very impressive in first grade thus far. I’d expect him to continue to impress this year despite being unproven in the centres.

The Bulldogs forward pack boasts many representative-quality backrowers. Captain Josh Jackson typifies the club’s defensive resolve with his tireless efforts every week. New Zealand representatives Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Corey Harawira-Naera and new signing Joe Stimson will all be competing for starting spots. A preseason injury and the ability to handle the middle will likely see Faitala-Mariner eventually return to the Bulldogs team via the interchange bench.

The middle forwards will need to improve for the Bulldogs in 2020 if they are going to improve as a team. As noted, they have been defensively sound, but their go forward was often poor. Tolman has been a great servant of the club and will continue to churn out metres. However, he lacks the ability to physically dominate opponents.

Dylan Napa has the necessary aggression but seems to put it all into defensive efforts rather than strong charges. If he can match his defensive intent with the ball in hand, he could really lead this Bulldogs pack and regain his Queensland State of Origin jersey.

However, I see the real improvement here coming from the younger brigade. The likes of Ofahiki Ogden and Renouf Toomaga made real progress last season and will continue to improve again this season. The young halves will be relying on these middle forwards to win the contact in order to give them the time and space to show their capabilities.

Of course for the Bulldogs attack to dramatically improve we will need to see one or two of their young halves step up this year. The annual Kieran Foran injury came early this year, leaving a spot open for Jack Cogger or Brandon Wakeham to join Lachlan Lewis in the halves. All three young halves have shown enormous potential, though none have really announced themselves as good consistent first-graders yet. If they can do so and invigorate the Bulldogs attack along the way, it will go a long way to taking the Bulldogs back to finals football.

Article from thelanddownunder

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our BULLDOGS will do better in 2020, and top 8 is also possible before a ball is kicked. Looking forward to seeing what the boys can do an some tweaks on our attacking and defensive structures..!!
Anything is possible as long as you try and give it your best go.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really good article right there. I think that if a few players get it right, we might be a dark horse and really put in a good fight for a surprising charge for the premiership. Our defence has been pretty strong. But we need to be getting a roll in the forwards. JMK or Katoa are the key in that. Dummy half running is great, but allowing the forwards to hit top pace with confidence that they'll get a good pass will add another dimension to their ability to make a difference. This will in turn give our halves more time and space.

My expectations are in check, but I am hoping that we emerge as a team to beat early on.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2020 = 2019. Difference will be a little less points against.

If everything clicks then we might be smokeys for the 8 though I don't see us clicking until mid way through the season again when the team is settled.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
"The annual Kieran Foran injury came early this year", OVER IT!

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really good article right there. I think that if a few players get it right, we might be a dark horse and really put in a good fight for a surprising charge for the premiership. Our defence has been pretty strong. But we need to be getting a roll in the forwards. JMK or Katoa are the key in that. Dummy half running is great, but allowing the forwards to hit top pace with confidence that they'll get a good pass will add another dimension to their ability to make a difference. This will in turn give our halves more time and space.

My expectations are in check, but I am hoping that we emerge as a team to beat early on.
I'd really love to see okunbur have a breakout season. If he can get his defensive reads sorted and learn to catch, he will be an absolute weapon.

Semi was shit in his first year at Parramatta, so who knows.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Renouf is really cementing his spot in FG and it would be really good if him and Ogden could both dominate at the top level together as they did in the ISP

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Last season a lot of the newer players did not understand what was going on. Thats inexperience.
With that learning season behind them, some astute coaching and a lift in confidence they will
lift to another level. I am sure of a top 8 finish and possibility of a top 4. They just need to get it all together with no injuries.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Last season a lot of the newer players did not understand what was going on. Thats inexperience.
With that learning season behind them, some astute coaching and a lift in confidence they will
lift to another level. I am sure of a top 8 finish and possibility of a top 4. They just need to get it all together with no injuries.
Top 4 ahhahaah

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our ending to 2019 was quite good particularly the Souths win. DWZ and CHN are champions and will improve even further this year . He gets mixed reviews but I think Napa will play well and be back in Maroon come May . He’s potentially as good as anyone going around (ok apart from maybe Hass) He had a dodgy start with his video release pre-season last year . And isn’t Shifty working with the halves ? Top 8.... lock it in!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
After being a finals mainstay for much of the decade, 2019 was the second consecutive disappointing year for the Bulldogs
Salary cap problems after the 2017 season led to many quality players being moved on and mostly inexperienced players taking their place. Now, after a year or two learning their trade, the question is: are the likes of Lachlan Lewis, Reimis Smith, Jeremy Marshall-King and Renouf Toomaga ready to join the experienced Josh Jackson, Will Hopoate and Aiden Tolman in returning the Bulldogs to finals football?

The strength of the Bulldogs is grit and determination, shown last year through a resolute defence. Despite finishing 12th in 2019 their points against (477) was comparable to top eight sides Eels (473), Sharks (464) and Broncos (489). This is despite often leaking points through young players Jayden Okunbor and Nick Meaney as they adjusted their game to the previously unfamiliar wing position.

Okunbor, who transitioned to the wing from the forward pack, made particularly poor reads in defence, while Meaney, who started the season as a diminutive fullback, at times struggled physically against bigger opponents. Both are in the running to be starting wingers this year. However, they will have had an off-season to address their deficiencies. In doing so, the Bulldogs defence should only be stronger in 2020.

The two experienced players in the backline are fullback Dallin Watene-Zelezniak and centre Will Hopoate. DWZ is a very powerful runner and good support player but is lacking a little in creativity and a passing game, meaning much of the backline play will need to come from their centres. Hopoate is an extremely reliable player undoubtedly up to the task.
Remis Smith, tipped to move from the wing to the centres this year, has been very impressive in first grade thus far. I’d expect him to continue to impress this year despite being unproven in the centres.

The Bulldogs forward pack boasts many representative-quality backrowers. Captain Josh Jackson typifies the club’s defensive resolve with his tireless efforts every week. New Zealand representatives Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Corey Harawira-Naera and new signing Joe Stimson will all be competing for starting spots. A preseason injury and the ability to handle the middle will likely see Faitala-Mariner eventually return to the Bulldogs team via the interchange bench.

The middle forwards will need to improve for the Bulldogs in 2020 if they are going to improve as a team. As noted, they have been defensively sound, but their go forward was often poor. Tolman has been a great servant of the club and will continue to churn out metres. However, he lacks the ability to physically dominate opponents.

Dylan Napa has the necessary aggression but seems to put it all into defensive efforts rather than strong charges. If he can match his defensive intent with the ball in hand, he could really lead this Bulldogs pack and regain his Queensland State of Origin jersey.

However, I see the real improvement here coming from the younger brigade. The likes of Ofahiki Ogden and Renouf Toomaga made real progress last season and will continue to improve again this season. The young halves will be relying on these middle forwards to win the contact in order to give them the time and space to show their capabilities.

Of course for the Bulldogs attack to dramatically improve we will need to see one or two of their young halves step up this year. The annual Kieran Foran injury came early this year, leaving a spot open for Jack Cogger or Brandon Wakeham to join Lachlan Lewis in the halves. All three young halves have shown enormous potential, though none have really announced themselves as good consistent first-graders yet. If they can do so and invigorate the Bulldogs attack along the way, it will go a long way to taking the Bulldogs back to finals football.

Article from thelanddownunder
I can’t argue with any of that

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Everything hinges on our attack, if we get that right (post season overhaul) then yes we are smokeys but if Lewis continues to throw cut out passes to row z then 11-15th

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Everything hinges on our attack, if we get that right (post season overhaul) then yes we are smokeys but if Lewis continues to throw cut out passes to row z then 11-15th
I keep hearing about Lewis throwing cut out passes over the sideline but how many did he actually do last year?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/02/17/pays-future-and-nrlw-team-top-of-bulldogs-hit-list/

Why our team won't improve? PAY. If we don't win 3 from 5 at the start of this season, he has to go. We are getting a gun forward to replace Tolman and/or Napa.
We will have money to spend on talent so we better get a coach who knows what they are doing
Who we signing if Pay gets axed... Only dude worth chasing was Holbrook and he's gone now so yeah... Best to hope Pay succeds now

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here : he just wrote what I’m saying . The future is bright I’ve seen it

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Who we signing if Pay gets axed... Only dude worth chasing was Holbrook and he's gone now so yeah... Best to hope Pay succeds now
Flano only has to 1 year assistant coach doesn't he. Surely Anderson could pull that rabbit out of her hat