Official 9’s Game Thread

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's most likely I agree. 11. CHN, 12. Jackson, 13. Elliott, 17. Stimson
I think Stimson may start and Elliot will be in the bench. I will be suprised if Jackson is moved to lock though.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
hard to make an assessment from a competition in which ladder is almost completely reversed
Honestly didn't expect people to take the 9s as a sign of how well the year would go.

Was just asking how the team went in the 9s. That's it. Who were the standout players? Was the attitude good? Shit like this.

Personally think the 9s show jack shit for what the season will be like and think it gives us very little insight into how good or bad we'll be.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly didn't expect people to take the 9s as a sign of how well the year would go.

Was just asking how the team went in the 9s. That's it. Who were the standout players? Was the attitude good? Shit like this.

Personally think the 9s show jack shit for what the season will be like and think it gives us very little insight into how good or bad we'll be.

oh right, I thought ''overall'' was referring to the team in general.. I only saw the first game in which Dean Britt really lead the way and was just about best on field.. Harper good as well with high involvement.. CHN good as usual

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
oh right, I thought ''overall'' was referring to the team in general.. I only saw the first game in which Dean Britt really lead the way and was just about best on field.. Harper good as well with high involvement.. CHN good as usual
Oh, wasn't having a dig at you mate. Clearly we're all looking forward to the season and I didn't word my sentence well enough ... a habit of mine.

Yeah, heard a lot of you talk about Britt which is great. Just glad we didn't pick up any injuries while out there.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh, wasn't having a dig at you mate. Clearly we're all looking forward to the season and I didn't word my sentence well enough ... a habit of mine.

Yeah, heard a lot of you talk about Britt which is great. Just glad we didn't pick up any injuries while out there.

all good mate, didn't think that at all.. shame about the second result but having noticed a few injuries to first grade players from other sides, I am happy we didn't risk it

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

As far as the Nines go the Friday line up was a lot more balanced and we struggled against the Sharks with out Britt and Ogden bending the line and attracting numbers into the tackles.

We actually started really well in the Sharks game but there was no coming back from repeats sets the Sharks had.

The attitude was great they dug in. I never thought you could grind out a Nines game but they did that against the Eels.

Okunbor looked pretty lacklustre with the ball and was probably the most disappointing for mine. He was left hanging is defence a few times but that wasn't his fault.

Britt, Averillo and BBO showed some promise but I wouldn't say anyone stood out.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im just happy we won 1 had nil injuries. Really wont know where we stand until round 10 . Ideally we want to be 7/3 or 6/4 to have decent year. Anything below that and it would be disappointing.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
His defence is a massive liability.
One try assist woopy doo, he had all the ball in attack, bet if wakeham was the general he would have set up 3 and scored one himself.
I just cannot understand why he cannot learn how to tackle and be aggressive in defence.
What did he do in the off season?
Mate, don't get me wrong I want all our players to flourish and improve from last year and kiss ass.
They should have sent him to Lachlan Lewis folks place in the off season, so he can tackle tractor tyres all summer long.
His defence isn't as bad as you all make out... His misses on the weekend we're a palm from sivo, which he cleaned up anyways and covering Salmon from marker which he shouldn't have to do. If he wasn't making an effort I'd be with you, but he's cleaning up kicks and chasing people to corners when our backs arent, so that tells you alot about his attitude. Also I like Wakeham and want him to start with Cogger, but he had control in the second half against the Sharks and put in one of the shittest kicks of the tournament ...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His defence isn't as bad as you all make out... His misses on the weekend we're a palm from sivo, which he cleaned up anyways and covering Salmon from marker which he shouldn't have to do. If he wasn't making an effort I'd be with you, but he's cleaning up kicks and chasing people to corners when our backs arent, so that tells you alot about his attitude. Also I like Wakeham and want him to start with Cogger, but he had control in the second half against the Sharks and put in one of the shittest kicks of the tournament ...
Spot on I can't believe people are losing their shit over defence at the Nines. It's so much easier to get isolated with less numbers on the field and you can't get numbers into the tackles.

Cogger gets his body in front in and that's all you want from a half in defence.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Early times, but I think Britt showed his ability to offload, which is something we haven't had for a while, players around him need to be aware. CHN was super in game 1, Ogden looked strong and was hard to stop, Cogger showed a variety of kicking skills that I haven't noticed before (the Shifty input), Meaney is fast(er), Harper put up a strong case for being picked at centre, Hopoate lock for the other centre with Smith or Meaney outside them that would be a potent edge both sides of the field.

Go Dogs

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Spot on I can't believe people are losing their shit over defence at the Nines. It's so much easier to get isolated with less numbers on the field and you can't get numbers into the tackles.

Cogger gets his body in front in and that's all you want from a half in defence.

I don't think anybody is losing their shit over the Nines in general, it's more the fact that it's what we've seen from Jayden in FG and I guess there is concern that if he is selected to start the season, we will see more of it.. As for Cogger, his job is not defence and the guys around him need to ensure that he is rarely isolated

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think anybody is losing their shit over the Nines in general, it's more the fact that it's what we've seen from Jayden in FG and I guess there is concern that if he is selected to start the season, we will see more of it.. As for Cogger, his job is not defence and the guys around him need to ensure that he is rarely isolated
Saying someone has no heart for their defence in the Nines is losing their shit in my opinion.

Jayden is a scapegoat to some degree for that defensive edge in general. He has issues in defence but too many times the horse has well and truly bolted when he's left defending a 2/3 on 1 over lap.

Meaney, Montoya and whoever else has played on that wing has been left hanging over the last few years. Hopefully the structures have been worked on over the off season.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Saying someone has no heart for their defence in the Nines is losing their shit in my opinion.

Jayden is a scapegoat to some degree for that defensive edge in general. He has issues in defence but too many times the horse has well and truly bolted when he's left defending a 2/3 on 1 over lap.

Meaney, Montoya and whoever else has played on that wing has been left hanging over the last few years. Hopefully the structures have been worked on over the off season.
I agree our edge defensive structures have been poor. All I want to see from Okunbur is intent. I hate seeing the move up and then slide back, if the overlap is there he just needs to hold or back himself, as floating helps no one. He looks fitter too which is good

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

It's not his positional play but his lack of intent, and we see it on both sides of the ball... he is a big boy and needs to realise it.. I just don't see him lasting long in FG if he doesn't show some mongrel because there are other outside backs in the lower grades who are hungry and we saw at the end of last year the way Dean wants the team to play