News Foran replacement grabs Bulldogs chance

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
FEBRUARY 15 2020 - 9:00AM
Foran replacement grabs Bulldogs chance
upload_2020-2-15_21-14-46.jpeg

A horror streak of bad luck has struck down Canterbury five-eighth Kieran Foran for the start of the 2020 NRL season, but the man expected to replace him has a golden opportunity.

Bulldogs half Jack Cogger is off-contract at the end of the year and hopes to establish himself as a consistent first-grader while filling in for Foran this season.

The 22-year-old former Newcastle half signed a two-year contract with the Bulldogs at the start of 2019 as backup for Foran, but ended the season with 17 games as the star five-eighth battled injury.

With Foran now dealing with another shoulder injury that is expected to rule him out for most of the season, Cogger has been given the chance to rekindle his budding combination with Lachlan Lewis.

"It's just a part of rugby league, injuries, timing and luck. That's all a part of the game," he told AAP.

"There's a little opportunity for me to hopefully cement myself as a first-grader. Kieran will be back mid or late season and hopefully by then I'm playing some really good footy.

"That's just going to make me work harder to make sure I'm playing good footy from round one and if I'm playing really good footy, he's got to come back and play well as well and it can only be good for the club and the team moving forward.

"At the end of the day if we're winning, everyone's happy."

Cogger started his career with the Knights in 2016 and has now played 37 NRL games across four seasons.

Foran, who has played just 26 games for the Bulldogs across the past two years, is tracking well for a return to the field midway through the season.

Cogger said the New Zealand international is at training every day with his teammates offering tips and support.

"That's the thing about Kieran, he's a team player and he always wants the team to do well. Hopefully when he comes back in mid or late season we're in a really good position and he can add to that," Cogger said.

"He's obviously limited in what he can do but it's been said about him many times, he's the ultimate professional and he's doing everything the doctors and the physio staff will allow him to like always I think we'll see Kieran on the field earlier than anyone expects."

Source: Port Macquarie News, Australian Associated Press

Attachments

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's the best half we have at the club right now. Wakeham and Odo have raw talent and will likely reach greater heights, but right now Cogger is the man we need to wear the 7

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have been a big fan of cogger from the start. He should have probably played the game in the 90s. Would have played 200 games. I like the way he engages the line. Has a decent short kicking game. Controlling half. May not be flashy. May not be a game changer. But will do his role.

he is the type of half Bellamy would take in and make him a multiple nrl champion.

Apart from his famous name and his front on defence I haven’t seen anything to suggest Lewis is our long term option. The perfect compliment for Foran would be cogger who can actually set up his outside men and can pass or kick to try assists.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cogger showed class during the nines. His kicking game was pretty good. And he took on the line. Something we need.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can’t complain, at least we have him! And has some good touches at the nines. It is what it is and that’s what we’ve got.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been a big fan of cogger from the start. He should have probably played the game in the 90s. Would have played 200 games. I like the way he engages the line. Has a decent short kicking game. Controlling half. May not be flashy. May not be a game changer. But will do his role.

he is the type of half Bellamy would take in and make him a multiple nrl champion.

Apart from his famous name and his front on defence I haven’t seen anything to suggest Lewis is our long term option. The perfect compliment for Foran would be cogger who can actually set up his outside men and can pass or kick to try assists.
Put him down for 200+ games now. He’s got the goods does Cogger.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Read the title and thought we’d used our $350k........ but no just another write up on a nuffy

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Too many people are only able to recognise that over used X-factor element in playmakers. Typically the term gets applied primarily to players that prefer to run the ball rather than set up a team mate.

I've been pretty happy with what Cogger offers since he started with us. At this point in time a lot of people just fail to recognise that an organising half has quality hence the negative remarks about him. If your main skill as a half isn't running a lot of people are instantly going to dismiss you as rubbish. Thankfully the club seems to be switched on about things. I hope his kicking game and having the confidence to tell his team mates where to be translates to us being able to mount pressure through the season.

The same can be said of hookers. I see numerous people on here rubbishing hookers that forego the personal glory that running hookers thrive on. Often running hookers can get by on that alone. But it's far better for the team if they're able to get good quality ball to moving players.

I see Cogger as a half that is pretty selfless. He's not going to impress everyone with his ability to provide chances through a thoughtful passing game. But hopefully he keeps improving his ability to spot where the ball needs to go to exploit weakness in the opposition. A running half can ensure that he personally is moving at pace, but a good organiser can often ensure that if three or four team mates are moving at pace, that they will get the ball to the one that is going to cause the most damage to the defence. Cogger hasn't peaked with that yet. But I see him as a player that will eventually be making those around him look better because they are getting the ball when they're the ones that are best able to use it.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
His kicking game is very good but fmd his defence is awful absolute speed hump at times

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I love how much Cogger attacks the line and runs the ball. He's a handy player but he also has some glaring flaws in his game, especially defensively.

I don't think any of Lewis, Cogger or Wakeham should have their spot guaranteed and hope that the trials dictate who will play.

It will probably be Cogger and Lewis to start but surely if we struggle to score for the first several rounds then Wakeham will be given a chance.

It's a huge opportunity for all three to stake their claim as legit starting halves in the NRL. Hopefully it brings out the best in them..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His direct quotes indicate he has first dibs in round one and as Scoob said he had some nice touches at the nines

‘200 plus game’ lol get ya hand off it 187

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Careful now you might get optimistic ratings like me speaking some sense about Cogger lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Also people forget he's only 22... He's got a very good temperament considering he had to deal with a major hip injury and playing with the shittest side ever assembled in the NRL era (newcastle)

Last edited:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
His can be a running half aswell as a organising half. He scored a few tries last year. He might lack defence. But he is improving overall. Hopefully he keeps improving and makes that 6 his own.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Also people forget he's only 22... He's got a very good temperament considering he had to deal with a major hip injury and playing with the shittest side ever assembled in the NRL era (newcastle)
That Newcastle team in 2018 was just as bad as our 2019 side tho (difference is negligible)? He was also back up.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I see it, i would much rather have a running half or 5/8 to compliment Lewis.
Preferably one that can tackle.
So it has to be wakeham or hoppa Mr silky hands for me.
Reimis in the centres with Harper.
Averillo on the wing with meaney.
His direct quotes indicate he has first dibs in round one and as Scoob said he had some nice touches at the nines

‘200 plus game’ lol get ya hand off it 187

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If lucky by the end of 2020 he may turn out like Daniel holdsworth mark 2, and that's giving him a compliment
His can be a running half aswell as a organising half. He scored a few tries last year. He might lack defence. But he is improving overall. Hopefully he keeps improving and makes that 6 his own.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with a lot of the positive comments on cogger,but I'd like to try maybe avarillo or Tass on the wing,okunbor was shocking,his positional play was non existent,I think his long term position,is more likely in the back row

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think he's more of a 6 than 7 but if it's him and Lewis starting then hopefully he's the 7...if that makes sense. Still think we're absolutely nuts not to be starting Wakeham in the 7. Probably doesn't matter much as we mostly just split the halves and will probably do the same again this season.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The way I see it, i would much rather have a running half or 5/8 to compliment Lewis.
Preferably one that can tackle.
So it has to be wakeham or hoppa Mr silky hands for me.
Reimis in the centres with Harper.
Averillo on the wing with meaney.
lewis isnt a halfback though thats the real issue here