News Xerri rejects $500k-a-season deal

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure his value will increase dramatically in the coming seasons. 500k every year for the next 5 years is chump change for a player of his talent. NRL players only got a decade to make their money..
He would get upgraded in 12 months if his manager is any good. Contracts are worthless these days if the player wants more money.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand why players reject money and force their club to go to the drawing board again, wasting everyone's time (including their own). It's simple... their agent should ask them what they want (while having an idea of his own what they are worth), and take this to the club. The club either says yes or no... that's it.
That is way too straight forward and common sense for the players ( manipulators ) who prefer to play the bullshit game mate ie player managers!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That hole is only for this year so if we can't get Xerri for 2020, there's no point going after him for 2021 as we'll have Billy Smith back.
Billy Smith looks like he could be physically dominant on the wing though.
Could end up being a backline of:
1. Tedesco
2. Smith
3. Manu
4. Xerri
5. Tupou

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Billy Smith looks like he could be physically dominant on the wing though.
Could end up being a backline of:
1. Tedesco
2. Smith
3. Manu
4. Xerri
5. Tupou
Optomistic lol... Sure I'm sure Xerri will love to play wing

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand why players reject money and force their club to go to the drawing board again, wasting everyone's time (including their own). It's simple... their agent should ask them what they want (while having an idea of his own what they are worth), and take this to the club. The club either says yes or no... that's it.
Reverse the situation, what if the player would be happy with $600k and the club offers $700k, bad move by the agent to front up only asking for the $600k.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
$500k for a 19yo is a big offer. But in recent years a few clubs have paid massive overs to others that have exploded onto the scene. I think that it's still a bit of a gamble to offer it on a 5 year basis given that he's already had a shoulder reconstruction at 19. But if he improves and stays fit it could be a poor deal for him in the future. No doubt his manager would have pointed that out to him. Given his statements upon debuting there, it seems like he's pretty happy to be playing for them. But loyalty these days has a price tag and it wouldn't surprise me if he drops the loyalty for a better deal.

I don't know if the club has been among those talking to him or not. But we do have some decent prospects in the lower grades. Maybe we'll see some of them stake claims this year and negate the need to recruit another centre. Personally I hope that we return to a state where the juniors we bring through allow us to selectively snipe for positions in need.

I'm of the opinion that any wishing on my part won't change what the club does anyway. So if we wind up making a successful play for someone like Xerri I'll get excited about the signing after it gets announced rather than buying into speculation and having any kind of wishlist about potential recruits. I'm a spectator in every way. I don't lack respect for the people that have wishlists. But I do find it a bit amusing to see people tearing hair out over the fact that players they'd like to have here don't get recruited. I just don't see any point in stressing about things I have zero input on.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cant work out how the sharks are under the cap they have 4 centres ffs dugan/jmoz/xerri and ramien

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I cant work out how the sharks are under the cap they have 4 centres ffs dugan/jmoz/xerri and ramien
Been over the cap every year except 2016
How lucky was that.......

Fucking joke

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Been over the cap every year except 2016
How lucky was that.......

Fucking joke
I thought Greenberg stated their gf side wasn't over the cap. That's technically excluding 13 players that weren't involved, so in all likelihood it's just a creatively constructed truth. Much like I could promise a lady 12 inches. I'm not going to say how many installments it would take to achieve that. But technically it's not a lie, just an exclusion of the facts to improve the sound of what I wanted to say.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought Greenberg stated their gf side wasn't over the cap. That's technically excluding 13 players that weren't involved, so in all likelihood it's just a creatively constructed truth. Much like I could promise a lady 12 inches. I'm not going to say how many installments it would take to achieve that. But technically it's not a lie, just an exclusion of the facts to improve the sound of what I wanted to say.
Yeah 2016 wasn’t over but years before it was and after

It’s a joke