Official 9’s Game Thread

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What did Holland do wrong last time he played hooker?.. I can't remember to much wrong with his efforts.
He had a good running game from hooker. I wasn't on TheKennel at the time but for me personally I was hoping he'd make our centres for the 2019 season (we also needed a goal kicker - didn't know Meaney would be as good as he is). He did and had a season from hell really. I think it's time to move on from players like him and Montoya. At best they should be back ups. Katoa will be back up anyways and Holland is only a chance if JMK (or Katoa) is injured. Not a fan of Marschke and apparently JMK can't play 80 minutes. Cogger is another option if Wakeham is in the halves (when Foran is back we're going to need someone who can play in the halves too).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What did Holland do wrong last time he played hooker?.. I can't remember to much wrong with his efforts.
He ran from dh like any outside back would do against tired opposition and a few people blew their loads, hardly anything impressive. His service, decision making, etc aren't up to scratch and imo won't ever be. I don't get why we need to recycle certain players over and over again, just give someone else a crack.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He had a good running game from hooker. I wasn't on TheKennel at the time but for me personally I was hoping he'd make our centres for the 2019 season (we also needed a goal kicker - didn't know Meaney would be as good as he is). He did and had a season from hell really. I think it's time to move on from players like him and Montoya. At best they should be back ups.
I'm far from a Holland fan , but if you can have a utility player on the bench that can play several different positions including hooker, than that would be a great option..

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm far from a Holland fan , but if you can have a utility player on the bench that can play several different positions including hooker, than that would be a great option..
Me neither but at this stage I would put him on the wing over Okunbour if their was no other options.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He just doesn't improve and for me he should go back to reggies and fight his way into the team. His lack of aggression and general look of bewilderment astonishes me. I know it's only 9's but some things stick out no matter what the format. He's the same as 12 months ago with no visual benefit from the FG he's played. He wouldn't be in my RD1 team that's for sure!
His defence is the same as it was in the Juniors - he marks space, takes for ever to turn - he did improve last year however for me he has been / will continue to be spotted by other teams - an enormous amout of work has been invested in his defence but it doesn't sink in.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
His defence is the same as it was in the Juniors - he marks space, takes for ever to turn - he did improve last year however for me he has been / will continue to be spotted by other teams - an enormous amout of work has been invested in his defence but it doesn't sink in.
Bloke needs lessons from Dr Buddy Rydell

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He ran from dh like any outside back would do against tired opposition and a few people blew their loads, hardly anything impressive. His service, decision making, etc aren't up to scratch and imo won't ever be. I don't get why we need to recycle certain players over and over again, just give someone else a crack.
I actually think with the options available JMK bench (hooker) and start Katoa

At least with JMK he understands the role of a hooker and halves plus pretty much covers 1-7 plus 9

Holland does not have the vision or passing/kicking skills to cover 9 at NRL level

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

At least with JMK he understands the role of a hooker and halves plus pretty much covers 1-7 plus 9

Holland does not have the vision or passing/kicking skills to cover 9 at NRL level
Katoa could do the Lichaa role. JMK has more impact off the bench and it's possible to still give him more minutes off the bench (e.g. Katoa 30, JMK 50). If we wanted our strongest bench/impact off the bench it'd be that. JMK is apparently injured for round one which is why I assume Holland's name is being brought up.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Katoa could do the Lichaa role. JMK has more impact off the bench and it's possible to still give him more minutes off the bench (e.g. Katoa 30, JMK 50). If we wanted our strongest bench/impact off the bench it'd be that. JMK is apparently injured for round one which is why I assume Holland's name is being brought up.
If JMK not ready then throw Averillo into that utility role at least he can ball play and has pace

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Our hooking options are genuinely rubbish. JMK is average at best...will pass the ball, make some tackles and has some pace in a straight line but that's about it. Katoa was dreadful at the Panthers but looked a lot better during the internationals, guessing he will start the season at 9 with JMK injured so we will just have to go from there.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
So did we only score 3 tries in 2 nines games?

I noticed even with the game yesterday we didn’t really play any attacking football, it was mostly one out stuff. It’s the perfect opportunity to throw it around ffs.
Our attack will stay shit until we find some quicker more powerful runners across the park. We are not suited to 9s at all

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My main concern heading into this tournament was that we didn't lose any quality players to long term injury. Success in the tournament might have given me a small feeling of pride. But our playing stocks really can't handle the loss of much quality in so many positions. So I was happy to have sent a squad full of promising youngsters rather than the bulk of our top squad.

Some people on here get way too worked up about nothing competitions.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If people are overreacting to or drawing definitive conclusions from what is essentially an Oztag tournament, then it's going to be a long season on The Kennel..

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I dont know why JO is forced to play on the wing.

The bloke does not have any attributes whatsoever to play on the wing or in the backline

He needs to be played in the forwards learning his trade in cup for the next 2 years

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
And that decision in the Panthers/Dragons game is exactly why it’s a Mickey Mouse tournament it’s has and always will mean nothing.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont know why JO is forced to play on the wing.

The bloke does not have any attributes whatsoever to play on the wing or in the backline

He needs to be played in the forwards learning his trade in cup for the next 2 years
Agree with this 100%. I reckon he should be played in the 2nd row.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good to see a new year and Ben Cummins still a shit ref

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And that decision in the Panthers/Dragons game is exactly why it’s a Mickey Mouse tournament it’s has and always will mean nothing.
Hahahha... what a joke! How can the in goal ref not see where that ball was grounded?? Hahaha..