Official 9’s Game Thread

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol that’s what I said last night
Beat Sharks we go to playoffs

Sharks looked horrible so if we dominate possession we will win

I like the starting team we had and with CHN coming off bench fresh he’s hard to handle
It just comes down to converting your chances, having good ball control and a little bit of luck. Getting the ball back from kick offs and drop outs are almost as important as scoring a try.

I really have no idea what to expect in the Sharks game. Anything could happen.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought Ben Marshcke was pretty solid other than his mistake off the kickoff. Seems to work hard in the middle there in attack and defense.

Positive signs with this squad. There's a lot of young guys and depth giving it a real crack.

He looks to have much better vision than Lichaa ever did, saw him reverse the direction of play on a couple of occasions which ended up being beneficial, decent service as well. One to watch

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Here’s a few scenarios on what we need to progress.
- beat Sharks and we are through. The other game doesn’t matter. If Dragons win they will probably top the group on F/A and we will top the group if Eels win.
- we lose by less then 8 points and Dragons win.
- we could still go through with a very narrow loss to the Sharks and the Eels having a very narrow win over the Dragons. We have a 6 point better point differential over the Eels so this could get us through but it’s unlikely.

Just beat the Sharks and we won’t have to worry about getting the calculator out!
Luckily that’s already been done for us, so we not only know the value of each member of the 9’s squad but we also know their rumoured salary, what overs we’ll need to pay to keep them and what positions the coach will have to put them in or they’ll sign elsewhere. Oh wait - different calculator?? ;-)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He looks to have much better vision than Lichaa ever did, saw him reverse the direction of play on a couple of occasions which ended up being beneficial, decent service as well. One to watch
Marshcke isn’t a park footballer unfortunately. Good on him having his moment in the sun but he really offered nothing in a CCup last year. He benefited from the open nature of Nines but he really struggles in normal games.

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Marske isn’t a park footballer unfortunately. Good on him having his moment in the sun but he really offered nothing in a CCup last year. He benefited from the open nature of Nines but he really struggles in normal games.
fair enough, he is still pretty young and it's not like any of our FG hookers have offered much... let's see how they all go this year

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
fair enough, he is still pretty young and it's not like any of our FG hookers have offered much... let's see how they all go this year
Yeah good luck to him maybe he has found another level in the off season.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah good luck to him maybe he has found another level in the off season.
re dummy half players Danny Ghantous has been good at HM n SGball the last two years and has another year in SGBall - Ryan Gray was hyped but had a poor season (woeful defense) prior to injury last year in Flegg.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
re dummy half players Danny Ghantous has been good at HM n SGball the last two years and has another year in SGBall - Ryan Gray was hyped but had a poor season (woeful defense) prior to injury last year in Flegg.
Hopefully Gray can adjust a bit better in his second year in Flegg. He has so much attacking potential he's defiantly worth persisting with.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Cogger answered all the critics. His kicking and control was first class.
Agree. Shifty effect on the team in the off season has put great polish on our playmakers.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Where are you seeing the full match, Fox, or online?
Offloads appear to be the way to go, along with smart kicking, make use of all the space out there. A linebreak turns into a try most of the time.
I recorded it on Foxtel 502, watched it live, once more last night and another his morning. When I watch it live I'm too busy following the ball to see what else is happening. Rewatching it and deliberately not following the ball results in me seeing the things that players do to get themselves into position, offence or defence, for the nest play. Or watching the organisers (eg; Cogger) moving the other players around to where they want them, structure and spacing. Just watching the game live I didn't realise how good our kicking game was, on rewatching it really stood out. I especially liked the long kick that turned Ferguson around and let Meaney show his speed, took a lot of gas out of Ferguson, I don't know whether that was the objective but it paid off.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recorded it on Foxtel 502, watched it live, once more last night and another his morning. When I watch it live I'm too busy following the ball to see what else is happening. Rewatching it and deliberately not following the ball results in me seeing the things that players do to get themselves into position, offence or defence, for the nest play. Or watching the organisers (eg; Cogger) moving the other players around to where they want them, structure and spacing. Just watching the game live I didn't realise how good our kicking game was, on rewatching it really stood out. I especially liked the long kick that turned Ferguson around and let Meaney show his speed, took a lot of gas out of Ferguson, I don't know wether that was the objective but it paid off.

Go Dogs
100%.. Nines games go so quick.. I thought there was a lot of good little decisions made on the fly.. the drop out regather to go the length and earn ourselves a drop out was another good moment.. I honestly think Meaney has gotten quicker.. I thought it must of been one of our juniors or something when that ball was kicked.. man he was moving quick.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
100%.. Nines games go so quick.. I thought there was a lot of good little decisions made on the fly.. the drop out regather to go the length and earn ourselves a drop out was another good moment.. I honestly think Meaney has gotten quicker.. I thought it must of been one of our juniors or something when that ball was kicked.. man he was moving quick.
I would really like to see the speed gun on Meaney sometime this year, to see just how fast he really is.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I recorded it on Foxtel 502, watched it live, once more last night and another his morning. When I watch it live I'm too busy following the ball to see what else is happening. Rewatching it and deliberately not following the ball results in me seeing the things that players do to get themselves into position, offence or defence, for the nest play. Or watching the organisers (eg; Cogger) moving the other players around to where they want them, structure and spacing. Just watching the game live I didn't realise how good our kicking game was, on rewatching it really stood out. I especially liked the long kick that turned Ferguson around and let Meaney show his speed, took a lot of gas out of Ferguson, I don't know wether that was the objective but it paid off.

Go Dogs
I think that kick for Meaney was early in the tackle count too wasn't it?

It's a very smart play because you give yourself a chance of actually scoring directly off the play or if you don't score you keep them guessing for the rest of the game if you'll do it again and they could even drop someone back which creates even more space.

Looking at the Sharks line up there isn't much pace in it hopefully we use it again.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree. Shifty effect on the team in the off season has put great polish on our playmakers.
Very early, but it sure looks like it, the kicking game and our defence to hold "the 9's favourites" to 2 tries were stand outs for me.

Go Dogs

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You can see the work shifty has done with the halves its noticeable. If this is a sign off what there kicking game is going to be like this year looking forward to it for sure.

Last edited:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think JMK will get even better there this year. He was a pass there last year. He cant play 80 minutes there but, so you need to always have a bench hooker for him. Hes already better than Lichaa, and has upside imo.

Its good to see we beat Eels, lets hope we back it up round one vs them.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think JMK will get even better there this year. He was a pass there last year. He cant play 80 minutes there but, so you need to always have a bench hooker for him. Hes already better than Lichaa, and has upside imo.

Its good to see we beat Eels, lets hope we back it up round one vs them.

Yeah definitely.. I have hope for JMK but the position is essentially open if he doesn't kick on.. here's hoping!

The Eels are massively overhyped for mine.. sure they signed some quality players but I bet their defence is still going to suck

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Loved the win. Hopefully fix up a couple errors and keep up our effort! The young pups are doing great. Good win over the favourite/ most stacked side. The rest of the games should be easier

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Looking forward to the game today (and dare I say the finals)

Reactions: GDR

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been some changes for the game against the Sharks. Bobcat is in! Bizarre that there’s no CHN or Meaney.

Andrew Ryan, Jayden Okunbor, Kerrod Holland, Morgan Harper, Jack Cogger, Jake Averillo, Brandon Wakeham, Dean Britt, Ben Marschke, Joe Stimson, Kayne Kalache, Isaiah Tass, Toa Mata'afa, Bailey Biondi-Odo.