News Adam Elliott backs young Bulldogs Jake Averillo and Renouf To’omaga to have breakout 2020 seasons

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally never rated him since Manly days, never recaptured his form before praying for two years and have never forgotten when he refused to play on Sunday. Should have pissed him off at that stage.

Its not liked we've had major success with him in the team, plus I suspect he is on big money which could be better spent elsewhere.

I'm a big fan of Okunbor and want him back in FG on the wing hence Smith to centre with young gun Averillo.

Then Hoppa may get the shits and leave before 30 June.

But hey lets stick to the same old selections and not try something different to change our fortunes around.
You obviously don’t watch the games. Hoppa practically had involvement in every single one of our tries scored last season. He is the only player that can contest a bomb and score, the only player that can consistently provide assists, the only player that has footy brains and can break the defensive plays and has been doing this for every season he has been at the dogs. I think you need to watch some highlights and focus on Hoppa- he is one of our most valuable player by far.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That means Okunbour misses out. Personally, ge is a must. If he gets tha handling errors out of his game he will be a weapon!!
He needs to toughen up in defence too. He can be a bit of an arm grabber

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You obviously don’t watch the games. Hoppa practically had involvement in every single one of our tries scored last season. He is the only player that can contest a bomb and score, the only player that can consistently provide assists, the only player that has footy brains and can break the defensive plays and has been doing this for every season he has been at the dogs. I think you need to watch some highlights and focus on Hoppa- he is one of our most valuable player by far.
People don't see the real value in hopoate. Guaranteed if he was right centre for raiders in the GF last year Roosters don't win. The amount of times leilua took the wrong option was costly. Hopoate has great hands and always takes the right and often unselfish option. He's a out and out team player and just needs the players inside him to provide good service regularly

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Spot on. Did you see just on half time his snatch and grab on Sivo. If Wakeham wasn’t there around the legs it could’ve gone differently. Jayden still makes me nervous...

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Spot on. Did you see just on half time his snatch and grab on Sivo. If Wakeham wasn’t there around the legs it could’ve gone differently. Jayden still makes me nervous...
I did and there was one in the first minute or so two where he threw his arm out like he was trying to catch his car keys

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jayden will have to show more aggression in his game if he is to cement a spot in FG, Pay has shown that he will swing the axe if required

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old if I have a different opinion then you I obviously don't watch the games.

This says it all for me but come new contract time his beliefs went out the window.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The old if I have a different opinion then you I obviously don't watch the games.

This says it all for me but come new contract time his beliefs went out the window.

What does his belief have to do with discussion about his game? he has been our best and most consistent player for the past couple of seasons... only reason he isn't better is because he's had less to work with than some of the other centres in the game

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I did and there was one in the first minute or so two where he threw his arm out like he was trying to catch his car keys
I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't rate Okunbur. The guy really makes me nervous as he has bad defensive reads and seems to screw up most attacking opportunities.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Jayden will have to show more aggression in his game if he is to cement a spot in FG, Pay has shown that he will swing the axe if required
Yep. He was never actually in my Round 1 side but with Reimis allegedly moving to centre he likely will be. Personally I’d leave Reimis on the wing and start Harper & Hoppa but that seems less and less likely. We’ll all know soon enough...

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep. He was never actually in my Round 1 side but with Reimis allegedly moving to centre he likely will be. Personally I’d leave Reimis on the wing and start Harper & Hoppa but that seems less and less likely. We’ll all know soon enough...

I think Harper is destined for FG.. he just competes on everything and never leaves anything out there.. I like Jayden but he's definitely going to be the odd man out if he doesn't change his ways soon because the other guys all rip in. Even Cogger has more of a go than him

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think Harper is destined for FG.. he just competes on everything and never leaves anything out there.. I like Jayden but he's definitely going to be the odd man out if he doesn't change his ways soon because the other guys all rip in. Even Cogger has more of a go than him
Agree. Thought Harper was solid yesterday. Certainly not a question of likability, Jayden’s a real character and not even effort related (Cogger the same) - he just gets dominated too easily or panics and makes sloppy mistakes.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does his belief have to do with discussion about his game? he has been our best and most consistent player for the past couple of seasons... only reason he isn't better is because he's had less to work with than some of the other centres in the game

Its good to be talking footy again and the squabbles starting again.

Am I the only Dogs supporter who thinks not wanting to play for your team on Sundays, watching the game on Sundays or playing for your team in a grand final is Bullshit? I'm like an elephant I never forget.

Don' start blaming other players for his talent.

I seem once again to be on my own here with wanting Hoppa gone.

I better not start on JMK, not only will I be accused of not watching games but I might be accused of treason when in fact the only person who committed treason was Hoppa.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't rate Okunbur. The guy really makes me nervous as he has bad defensive reads and seems to screw up most attacking opportunities.
I rate him but he’s still very raw and will need to work on parts of his game to become a solid first grader. If he excels at them he’d be a great player

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Am I the only Dogs supporter who thinks not wanting to play for your team on Sundays, watching the game on Sundays or playing for your team in a grand final is Bullshit? I'm like an elephant I never forget.

I better not start on JMK, not only will I be accused of not watching games but I might be accused of treason when in fact the only person who committed treason was Hoppa.

The club allowed it, the coaching staff and team got on with it... you are probably the only one holding onto it.. it's been a tough few years for the club but Hoppa turns up week in week out and very rarely has a poor outing.. if it wasn't for the leadership he and some of the other guys showed at the beginning of last season it is very likely it would have ended as it started, and we see that happen to teams who lack quality leaders - Eels, Knights, Titans to name a few

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree. Thought Harper was solid yesterday. Certainly not a question of likability, Jayden’s a real character and not even effort related (Cogger the same) - he just gets dominated too easily or panics and makes sloppy mistakes.
harper is a real team man and he's quite an intelligent player.. often comes up with momentum swinging plays.. won't be surprised if he sees a fair bit of FG this season. Yeah I like Jayden, and if anything I am hoping for his own sake that he can find that mongrel, especially in D, because he's been blessed physically

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Mate let it go that was 2016

He’s been our most consistent player the last 3 seasons culminating with player of the year in 2019

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbur looks to be a confidence player. SOmeone needs to stand him in front of a mirror and say stop playing like someone who is 5 foot 6 and 70 kg. Can say sam about Toomaga but at the end of last season he definitely started to get hold of that self belief. As for Hoppa I am on board. He brings a lot more than people give him credit for but he lacks speed. I think he gives a lot of younger players comfidence

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate let it go that was 2016

He’s been our most consistent player the last 3 seasons culminating with player of the year in 2019
I try but lets hope we get more than the average of 4 tries a season we have got over the last 3 years.

Other stats are important yes but backs are expected to score tries that hasn't changed has it.