News Josh Morris upset by Cronulla’s refusal to release him to join Roosters

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Rorters had found some space to fit him under the salary cap.

The Rorters have called for an investigation as to how they failed to get their man.

This was one of my all time fav press conferences, I was in fits and watched it over an over, it never got old.. still hasn’t :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

And good luck to jmoz!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn’t J Moz say one of the big reasons he went to Cronulla was to win a comp? Guess that didn’t work out too well.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He should ask the NRL who's going to win the premiership this year, and join that team. He deserves a premiership!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Morris was really good last season (consistent, reliable). He is only a short term option so I can see why they signed Ramien. They also thought they'd be able to move Dugan on.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Veteran centre Josh Morris was “filthy” on the Cronulla Sharks when coach John Morris signed Jesse Ramien from the Newcastle Knights.

Morris has now asked for a release to play the final year of his career at the Sydney Roosters, alongside his brother Brett.

The 33-year-old Origin star raised his concerns late last year with Morris, according to his agent David Riollo.

“Josh was disappointed the club signed someone above him,” Riollo told The Daily Telegraph.

“Nothing at all against Jesse but, as a senior player, it can be hard to take. But that’s life and Josh just got on with it although he was pretty filthy. We flagged it with the club back then.

“Again, it’s not Jesse. The club made the decision which they are entitled to do.”

The Roosters want him as a replacement for rookie Billy Smith, who had been earmarked to replace Latrell Mitchell in the centres.

Riollo says Morris was reluctant to ask the Sharks for the release

“He agonised for four days about approaching them,” Riollo said. “He likes John Morris and he loves the players.

“He wants to go because he wants to finish his career with his brother and play in his preferred position as a centre. That’s all this is about.”

Riollo insists there is no financial gain to switch clubs.

“The Roosters are prepared to pay exactly what he is on at the Sharks,” Riollo said.

“He’s got a contract at Cronulla and he respects that but the conditions have changed. He was signed as a centre but understands nothing is guaranteed.

“An appealing opportunity came up and that’s what he wants to do.”

Fox Sports’ James Hooper reported the Sharks would block the request to quit. This is despite the fact Ramien and Bronson Xerri would be the preferred choices as starting centres for the opening of the season.

The Sharks are also dealing with the delicate situation surrounding $900,000 outside back Josh Dugan.

“We still waiting for a response from the club,” Riollo said. “It’s not right that we are reading about in the media.”

Morris is just 14 games shy of becoming a 300-game NRL player at Sharks, Bulldogs and St George Illawarra Dragons since he started in 2007.

Cronulla’s head of football Phil Moss was unavailable for comment last night. Josh Morris declined to comment.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/53f05d5448dcc643e2b844f9f1eba19e
So this is not “a financial thing” from J Moz huh isn’t it funny how the Rorters can find the funds to sign a representative centre to replace an up and comer? Billy Smith I’m assuming would be on peanuts compared to Josh Morris! Do the math, I mean J Moz isn’t on exactly chump change he is a former rep player which means his contract is worth upwards of 500k plus per season, how on Earth do the Roosters find that kind of coin to sign a last minute rep player??? Begs the question...

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Morris brothers are dusted.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
This is how our club should have behaved when people wanted out when in contract. A contract should actually mean something.
Of course it's meant to mean something, however playing in reserve grade is part of ones first grade contract. The way I see it, the Sharks are not holding up their end of the deal by having him play park footy. He's filthy because of that.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't let their age fool you... they would walk into any team.
issue for B Moz is injuries.. Still one of the best on field in the GF... made Croker look like an absolute fool

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
issue for B Moz is injuries.. Still one of the best on field in the GF... made Croker look like an absolute fool
Yeah he's had some injuries, but is one of the best in the game. He won a GF at 33 - not many wingers can say they've achieved that.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
According to reports, he has had a sook because they signed younger centres without consulting him.

Told you he is just another bitch trying to break his contract.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah he's had some injuries, but is one of the best in the game. He won a GF at 33 - not many wingers can say they've achieved that.

Still the two best defenders in the game as well

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Too experienced, I would never under estimate a Moz.
And I don't disagree. However, there are many other young prospects, that I'd choose over any of the twins.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to reports, he has had a sook because they signed younger centres without consulting him.

Told you he is just another bitch trying to break his contract.
can you blame him for wanting to get away from the Sharts? probably wasn't his finest moment signing with them

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
can you blame him for wanting to get away from the Sharts? probably wasn't his finest moment signing with them
His fault for going to them in the first place bro.

I wouldn't sign with the Sharts to win a GF.

That GF "win" was a token from the nrlol

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is how our club should have behaved when people wanted out when in contract. A contract should actually mean something.
Yes a contract should mean something. It would be hard to say, however, that Josh's contract is without meaning.

Depending on how popular Josh is amongst the wider community of NRL players, this could back-fire badly for the Sharks. Certainly if I was a club going up against the Sharks for the signature of a decent player I'd be looking for a way to point out how they have treated some of their players over the last 10 years.

On another note, does Ramien have any fans left? Had a big sook at Knights after taking up a big contract there, now back at Sharks squeezing other players out.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
His fault for going to them in the first place bro.

I wouldn't sign with the Sharts to win a GF.

That GF "win" was a token from the nrlol

Oh I don't disagree! a few years ago it would have been a good place to go... but they seem to be falling back into their old ways.. letting young Flanno walk was a dumb as shit move... and why they are persisting with Johnson and Moylan baffles me.. we all know that those styles of players aren't a huge threat to the best defensive teams of today

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have the perfect solution to the Sharks Salary Cap issues, let us sign Xerri. Simple, 4 problems solved at once, JMoz can continue at centre for the Sharks, their Salary Cap problems are gone and we get Xerri. Plus best of all the Chooks miss out. Sounds like wins all round.

Go Dogs