Help for Bulldogs Season Review

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What, for correct spacing and comma position? Old time journo's might not of had tertiary education and had a few grammatical warts, but I cant imagine any dinosaurs at The Roar.
No Chance, Bazil. No Chance :-).

NoChance

Waterboy
Reaction score
All due respect NoChance, but shouldn't you have an opinion on most of these matters seeing as you were tasked with writing the article?

If you watched the NRL last year you'd have the answers to a lot of those questions..

I appreciate trying to get as much information as possible but someone could ask many on here and other legit forums to give a detailed breakdown of any of the 16 clubs and they'd probably have a fair idea..
To give the wider NRL community a true indication on how the Bulldogs are as a team then the actual fans as they will know better then anybody else . How many grimes have you read an article and thought the author has no idea what’s they are on about .

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
To give the wider NRL community a true indication on how the Bulldogs are as a team then the actual fans as they will know better then anybody else . How many grimes have you read an article and thought the author has no idea what’s they are on about .
It's definitely happened before. Like now, for instance.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
1. What are the biggest changes that need to be made from last year?

Starting the season strong and finding the tryline more regularly.

2. Bulldogs were the worst attacking team last year, scored least points and try's is that down to lack of talent in the especially outside backs or coaching? And what changes are in place to rectify this?

Little bit from column a and a little from column b. One if the glaring weaknesses in the squad is lack of class in the backline. That coupled with young inexperienced halves, the same on field issues will likely continue. Dean Pay - Made some strange decisions last year in moving players from one side of the field to another. Jury is still out on his coaching for me.

3. It known your cap situation has really hindered your ability to make a dent in the player market, however you did sign Joe Stimson and Sione Katoa do you expect them to have any great impact this year?

Both have shown promise but have yet to established themselves as regular first graders.
They have a lot of upside to them and I'm optimistic that they'll both establish themselves as regular first graders.
With good depth around our edge backrowers and lack of depth at hooker, out of the two of them, Katoa has the best chance to shine.

4. With the injury to Kieran Foran it appears yours halves going forward will be Brandon Wakeham and Lachlan Lewis they seem like the most inexperienced halves pairing do you believe they can the team around this year?

It'll be a steep learning curve, but if our forwards can match the opposition pack and give them some space to work in I think they can surprise a few teams.

5. Is Dean Pay’s job as coach on the line this year , does he have the backing of the fan base?

Yes it's on the line, another start to the season in the same manner as 2019 and despite a young squad, questions will need to be asked.
If the team shows up and competes each week without any blowouts, it'll go a long way to ensuring he continues coaching.

After a disappointing start to the season you guys managed to win five from your last six games, had many fans thinking were was this all year . How much can you Fans take from that great finish and do you think you guys can bring that form next year ?

It better bloody transfer across to this year.

7.What’s your teams biggest strength and biggest weakness ?
Strength is the edge backrowers and youthful exuberance.
Biggest weakness is youthful exuberance, lack of experience in the spine, lack of class in the outside backs.

8. The player with the most pressure on them is?

DWZ. Was accredited with turning around our season in 2019 and as our most experienced spine player, will need to further develop in 2020 for us to have any chance.

9. What rookie or relatively unknown player to look out for ?
Averillo and Wakeham.

10.What will constitute a successful season? what will constitute a failure this year?

Making the 8 is a success, 12th or less is a failure.

11Who is going to be the best back and forward this year?
Back - Hoppa
Forward - Jackson

12.In your honest opinion where will they finish this year? Best case scenario can you see Them winning the Premiership, if so how?
No chance of a premiership, run in 10th for the year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

More patience in attack to start the season. We had many games early on well within reach. But the young squad panicked and made some unnecessary errors by pushing passes and trying to score on every set.

2. Bulldogs were the worst attacking team last year, scored least points and try's is that down to lack of talent in the especially outside backs or coaching? And what changes are in place to rectify this?

Mostly answered above. Our young roster succumbed to pressure early on. The end of the season showed increased maturity in the fact that the team focused on frustrating opponents with solid defence. If we aren't giving an inch defensively, our opposition will have to push the passes and hopefully make errors that give us posession in good field position. Scoring chances present themselves on the back of this, and confidence from some early wins will hopefully lead to more fluid attack.

3. It known your cap situation has really hindered your ability to make a dent in the player market, however you did sign Joe Stimson and Sione Katoa do you expect them to have any great impact this year?

Have to stay open minded. Stimson seems to have arrived at a time when he was climbing the pecking order for Melbourne. He's not a flashy player in my opinion, just someone who plays hard. Typical tough forward with seemingly few errors in him. Will have to see more of Katoa. JMK seemed like he was improving every week. I hope he gets first shot at the #9.

4. With the injury to Kieran Foran it appears yours halves going forward will be Brandon Wakeham and Lachlan Lewis they seem like the most inexperienced halves pairing do you believe they can the team around this year?

Lewis probably offered confidence in spades over anything else. Never give up type that probably inspires those round him with defensive efforts. But needs to work a bit on areas of his attack. To me Cogger showed that he's potentially going to develop into our general on field. He seems to be able to organise, has a decent short kicking game and has scored some nice tries when he exploited defensive lines that don't see him as a running half. I'll need to see more of Wakeham, but he will have chances to impress.

5. Is Dean Pay’s job as coach on the line this year , does he have the backing of the fan base?

Depends who you ask. The fanbase is divided about his ability. But seems like he has better support staff in place and is less focused on filling every role himself. The players seem to be in his corner though and club management probably should pay more notice to that than to a bipolar fanbase. But good results are really the best way to guarantee his job security which I'm sure he knows.

6. After a disappointing start to the season you guys managed to win five from your last six games, had many fans thinking were was this all year . How much can you Fans take from that great finish and do you think you guys can bring that form next year ?

The effort was present for the most part. But inexperienced youngsters at times shot themselves in the foot. I wasn't happy as a fan with many refereeing calls throughout the year. And I saw that our players reacted poorly quite often to those bad calls and lost the ability to stay composed. As a fan I can only live in hope that our squad retains the winning mindset. Our finish was a display of focused defence and composed football. We still lack creativity, but if we can frustrate our opponents they can sometimes present us with opportunity.

Hard to say really. We have relatively few standout players. But if we start the year as we ended the last one, unity and determination are our strength. Our weakness is that we might still succumb to the jitters and shoot ourselves in the foot trying to make every play the winning one.

Probably a combination of whoever gets our halves spots. Creativity has been lacking, and they're meant to be the starting point for creativity.

Hard to say. A lot of people think Wakehams time is starting. But our backline depth will rely on absolute unknowns at times. So there may be some surprises in store from our development players.

10.What will constitute a successful season? what will constitute a failure this year?

To me the sad part of last year was in the fact that we lost more games that were ours to win through poor composure. So responding well to pressure would be my number one measure of success. The wins will flow from that.

11Who is going to be the best back and forward this year?

Smith might shine if hints that he'll move to centre are true. DWZ seems to play with absolute passion, looks good most weeks. But I'm thinking that maybe Okunbor might be a monster if he sorts out his defence and ability under the high ball. Jeremy Marshall King will be the key to success in our forwards. None of them will hit their straps if he's not providing good service. So hopefully he continues to improve his ability to hit them on the chest with good ball allowing them to just run hard.

12.In your honest opinion where will they finish this year? Best case scenario can you see Them winning the Premiership, if so how?[/QUOTE]

Too hard to predict a finishing position with a young squad. The key will be in staying composed through the tough times in games. If they're able to do that I expect to finish between 6th to 8th on the ladder. There's a lot of teams that could be around that mark. If we succumb to the pressure regularly I think 9th to 11th. If a lot of players get the little things right I like to think we'll be a dark horse in the finals. But realistically I see this year as being more of a year when we sort out more clearly just who we need to take into the next stage of our roster rebuild. I still think we need our spine to be standing out more and there are still question marks about who will even be the ones that win through in a three way race to cement a starting spot in the halves. JMK may not win out over Katoa for the #9 either.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I am a writer on The Roar and be doing a series in where I will be doing a season preview of each team, I thought no better way to get a preview then the die hard fans . I will ask some questions and be greatly appreciated if u guys can answer them.
Ok, I will bite

Need to win moare games. This will be achieved when Lewis achieves more unexpected funky chip kicks that defy all laws of physics and nature and land in the right place for a winger to score (see game against Brisbane end of last season).

This is due to the referees, they choke our attacking endeavour at every tern.

As a Bulldogs fan I find it best to have hopes, but no expectations.

I do not believed in canned teams.

He has lots of backing, however some backers have knifes. Also, being a forward by trade, Pay is not accustomed to backing.

6. After a disappointing start to the season you guys managed to win five from your last six games, had many fans thinking were was this all year . How much can you Fans take from that great finish and do you think you guys can bring that form next year ?
As a Fans it was grate just to see the boys win more than one game in a row. Winning one game in a row is all very well, but winning two or three changes things. The world suddenly has actual colour, instead of appearing sepia. Things smell nice for a change. A winning streak of 3+ games gives life new meaning.

Our teams biggest strength is getting 13 guys to run onto the field shortly before kick off. This is also our teams biggest weakness.

Josh Jackson. He recently got a broken nose, this creates lots of pressure in the ear canals because of being unable to properly clear the sinuses.

I would look out for Kane Kalache personally, apparently he is the one who broke Jackson's nose, and anyone willing to do that to their own team mate is someone you need to look out for.

Playing every game that we are scheduled to play will constitute a successful season. If either the Chooks or Souffs win, the season will be a failure.

11.Who is going to be the best back and forward this year?
We don't have many players who are both a back and a forward. Really the only one on our books at the moment is JMK. Some people want Lewis to be tried out at Lock, but that hasn't happened, so he doesn't count. So the answer has to be that JMK will be our best back and forward this year. Unless of course Knockobur gets given a run in the forwards, which hasn't yet happened at NRL level, maybe he could count as a smokey.

12.In your honest opinion where will they finish this year? Best case scenario can you see Them winning the Premiership, if so how?
I hope we win, but I do not expect it. I expect us to finish somewhere on the table.

Reaction score
Am I the only person that thinks this guy is a troll?
His name is no chance and his on a bulldogs forum put 2 and 2 together.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Am I the only person that thinks this guy is a troll?
His name is no chance and his on a bulldogs forum put 2 and 2 together.
I don't think he'd be in the position he says he's in with how he types. It's still a good exercise anyways.

Reaction score
I don't think he'd be in the position he says he's in with how he types. It's still a good exercise anyways.
Just seems he could’ve chosen any name but came to a struggling team forum to put that name. Only saying!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just seems he could’ve chosen any name but came to a struggling team forum to put that name. Only saying!
In all honesty I'm prepared to assume anyone with under a few hundred posts on here is here to troll. And the truth is that many journos would be very happy to have others do the bulk of their writing for them. But this guy hardly seems like a journo with some questionable spelling. But this is as good a topic for discussion as has been presented through the off season so I replied regardless of why the thread was created.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I am skeptical but this is the best way to look at this.

Just play along people, I can't see how this post could possibly be a troll. I guess we will have to wait to see if an article actually surfaces on The Roar.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I am skeptical but this is the best way to look at this.

Just play along people, I can't see how this post could possibly be a troll. I guess we will have to wait to see if an article actually surfaces on The Roar.
Either that or The Raw :-).